Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
7/25/2006 5:06:07 PM

The Edmonton Oilers have signed right wing Ales Hemsky to a six-year contract, avoiding an arbitration hearing scheduled for Friday, July 28th.

Hemsky is the third player that the Oilers have come to agreement with on a contract prior to the NHL's arbitration process. Centres Shawn Horcoff and Jarret Stoll signed with the Oilers earlier this month.

"Ales is an extremely important member of our hockey club," said Oilers Assistant General Manager Scott Howson in a release. "He is one of the NHL's emerging offensive players, and coming off of a breakout season that saw him lead the Oilers in scoring, we believe he will continue to get better. We are excited to have him under contract for the next six seasons."

One of the NHL's young offensive stars, the 6-foot, 192-pound native of Pardubice, Czech Republic led the Oilers in scoring during his third season with 77 points in 81 games. The 22-year-old forward established single-season career highs in most offensive categories as he led the Oilers in assists with 58.

His offensive contributions continued during the Oilers' Stanley Cup Playoff run, as he scored 17 points in 24 games.

The Oilers' first choice, 13th overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Hemsky has scored 141 points in 211 career games with Edmonton. He has added 17 points in 30 Stanley Cup playoff games.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Woah! 6 years?! For some reason I never seem to like those long-term kind of deals, despite how good the player is. Everyone knows about how Hemsky is afraid to shoot the puck, not something I'd want forever. If he starts shooting the puck more and tryign to capitalize on the glorious chances that he creates by himself, this could work out to be okay.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oilers said:
wow six years.. anywayz i love this player....:)
I thought you would be happy!! :D

Six years is a long contract, don't really know the reason behind it??

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oilers said:
THE reason is that.. oilers think that hemsky goanna develop more good and good..... and like if they signed him for 2 years. he will ask more money after that..... anywayz thats what i think...dont know whats going on in the mind of lowe
Aren't they all going to ask for more when their contracts come due??

I know what your saying though!!

I heard on SportsNet news that he's really comfortable in Edmonton and he just wants to stay there!

It's really nice to hear, somebody actually enjoys staying on a team in Canada!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts