Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well I'm going to continue to pretend the Oilers don't exist and for another year of the playoffs. Once the playoffs are done, time to get to work.

First and foremost they need to decide on their goalie situation. Do we resign Rolie and make him the #1 again? Jeff Deslauriers is signed, no chance of sending him down to the minors. We could let Roloson go and give Jeff the reigns as our #1 goalie, we would just need to sign a backup, Roloson wants to be a #1.

Other big problems include what to do with the following overpaid players.

Horcoff - Not a #1 center in my opinion, and is slated to get 7 mil next season. That's probably too big of a contract to trade, so I think we're stuck with him. Even so, I would try to package him with picks, prospects or both and get whatever I can to get his 7mil off the books. I'd love to have him as the 2nd or 3rd line center, but not at the cost of 7mil.

Penner - Should not be playing on the 4th line. Since coming to Edmonton Penner has forgot how to hit and use his size, and seems to play with no heart. I think MacT was the problem here. Demoting him to the 3rd and 4th lines, calling him out in the media, benching him. I expect bigger things from Dustin next year.

Visnovsky - Its a little strange for us to be having 2 huge contract offensive defensemen as our 1-2. With the lack of solid D men in the league, I think we could still get something of decent value for him. I'd love to see someone like Webber paired up with Souray, of course Webber will never be traded.

Other than that, we have loads of young talent. I'd like to see the team take a youth movement approach and let the young guys take over the team. Having the first line always being ??-Horc-Hemmer has not worked. Leave Hemsky and let the kids try the first line

Other than that, we obviously have to sign a head coach. I'd love to get Quinn but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well I'm going to continue to pretend the Oilers don't exist and for another year of the playoffs. Once the playoffs are done, time to get to work.

First and foremost they need to decide on their goalie situation. Do we resign Rolie and make him the #1 again? Jeff Deslauriers is signed, no chance of sending him down to the minors. We could let Roloson go and give Jeff the reigns as our #1 goalie, we would just need to sign a backup, Roloson wants to be a #1.

Other big problems include what to do with the following overpaid players.

Horcoff - Not a #1 center in my opinion, and is slated to get 7 mil next season. That's probably too big of a contract to trade, so I think we're stuck with him. Even so, I would try to package him with picks, prospects or both and get whatever I can to get his 7mil off the books. I'd love to have him as the 2nd or 3rd line center, but not at the cost of 7mil.

Penner - Should not be playing on the 4th line. Since coming to Edmonton Penner has forgot how to hit and use his size, and seems to play with no heart. I think MacT was the problem here. Demoting him to the 3rd and 4th lines, calling him out in the media, benching him. I expect bigger things from Dustin next year.

Visnovsky - Its a little strange for us to be having 2 huge contract offensive defensemen as our 1-2. With the lack of solid D men in the league, I think we could still get something of decent value for him. I'd love to see someone like Webber paired up with Souray, of course Webber will never be traded.

Other than that, we have loads of young talent. I'd like to see the team take a youth movement approach and let the young guys take over the team. Having the first line always being ??-Horc-Hemmer has not worked. Leave Hemsky and let the kids try the first line

Other than that, we obviously have to sign a head coach. I'd love to get Quinn but I don't see it happening.
Horcoff may get 7 million this year, but his contract is only a 5 million cap hit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
So does Rob Schremp get a fair shot at making the team now that MacT has been shown the door.?
Doesn't sound like we're resigning him. Doesn't bother me. I wish we could get something for him, but he just sounds like a jackass. Loaded with talent, but it just sounds like he carries an arrogance about him even when being called up for one or two games. He long shifts every single time he takes a shift to show how "awesome" he is, which rubs a lot of guys the wrong way.

If we can keep him for cheap, great. Let him stay in the minors and come up when someones injured. If he wants some sort of undeserved payday, let him look elsewhere.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Horcoff may get 7 million this year, but his contract is only a 5 million cap hit.
Just saw that on Oilfan. Not bad, I can live with a 5mil cap hit on Horc. Still don't want him as the #1 center though. At the very least we need a star type player to play on the first line with Horc and Hemmer. Doubt we'll get one though, not as though star snipers grow on trees.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I can't see Edmonton offering these guys the 6 mill each is what they would be asking for.
I wouldn't want the Sedins, they may be reguler season stars when there no in a cold streak but in the playoffs they all but disappear and I wouldn't wanna put more then 6 million dollers into two players that are like that.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Pat Quinn and Tom Renney

So its being reported on TSN that Pat Quinn is being hired as the Coach of the Oilers and Renney is getting an associate job, I'm not to surprised about Quinn though I am a little surprized about Renney taking up and assistant job though I figure its probably for Renney to take over from Quinn in a few years when he retires.

Opinions.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think it's a good move by the Oilers, but until they can bring in a legitimate #1 goaltender I say they will continue to miss the playoffs.
I disagree, they could have easily made the playoffs last year had they're play been as consistant as Dwayne was in net.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Am I the only one around here that appreciates the irony of the fact that the majority of the Oiler leadership has the Canucks as their mutual connection?:rolleyes::biggrin:

Quinn has done a good job with Hockey Canada and working with junior players to dispel the perception that he doesn't relate to younger players.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Am I the only one around here that appreciates the irony of the fact that the majority of the Oiler leadership has the Canucks as their mutual connection?:rolleyes::biggrin:

Quinn has done a good job with Hockey Canada and working with junior players to dispel the perception that he doesn't relate to younger players.
and you know whats funny about it, the Canucks had there best success under Quinn before new management fired him.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great coaching tandem. The Oil needed a shakeup and this should work great. I don't agree about the goal tender comment. Yes the Oilers do need to decide what route they are going in net for the future, but any team can make it to the playoffs with a weak tender. What the Oilers really need is a legit number 1 center and left wing. Hopefully O'Sullivan can move to the first line and one of the young kids can prove to be our center of the future.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we made a move for a FA tender this offseason. Fernandez or possibly Giguere? Khabbi would be good, but is too old to throw the franchise goalie position and he'll probably just sign with whoever offers top dollar.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moreau awarded King Clancy Trophy

Ethan Moreau has been named recipient of the King Clancy Trophy. The award is presented to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community....more

See your season wasn't a total loss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts