Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, they weren't that good to begin with

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Need more time to tell

Votes: 1 12.5%

Oilers not meeting expectations?

795 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Quintessence 
#1 ·
Does anyone else think that the team is underachieving, or is it just me?

I knew they wouldn't be as good as last year (which is much better than the 8th place finish the team showed IMO), but I didn't expect them to be back to the team that's once again having to rally yet again fo a late playoff birth.

Agree? Disagree?

#2 ·
I think they should be doing a lot better than they are because of all their experience. And a team should not go to game 7 of a Stanley cup final one year and the next year they are fighting just to get a playoffs spot. But then again they have lost a lot of talent and aren't that stacked of a team

#4 ·
True, they had a chunk ripped out of them.

As soon as the question was asked "what's wrong with the Edmonton Oilers", immediately everyone in the room (who heard the question) said 'Chris Pronger' (me included).

This team isn't playing as well as they should, but maybe they're not much better to begin with. :dunno:

#6 ·
On the other hand Carolina didn't make too many changes and they are in the same boat. Couple of points either way and they might miss the playoffs as defending Stanley Cup champs.

Yes Edmonton is underachieving, they underachieved last year too. They lose way too many 1 goal games and have trouble if they get behind by more than 2 in the first. Roli the Goalie hasn't been a #1 for an entire season before and I believe he's getting tired but Jussi in goal is a crapshot at the best of times. Too many problems to fix with deadline trades. They need to start working on these things now (or three months, five months, six months ago...)

#7 ·
Well seeing how I picked them to be at the very bottom of the division this year, they're right where I expect them to be. Their defence is not as good as last year with Spacek and Pronger gone and Bergeron underachieving (probably because of Pronger and Spacek being gone). I'm not placing any blame on Rollie the Goalie. He's just not getting the support he was getting last year.

#8 ·
Quintessence said:
Well seeing how I picked them to be at the very bottom of the division this year, they're right where I expect them to be. Their defence is not as good as last year with Spacek and Pronger gone and Bergeron underachieving (probably because of Pronger and Spacek being gone). I'm not placing any blame on Rollie the Goalie. He's just not getting the support he was getting last year.
I don't blame him either. Roloson is probably going through the same thing Raycroft was before the last month. There's pretty much no team in front of him, yet the media is starting to turn up the heat on him even though it's pretty clear game in and game out. I guess it makes for a good story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.