Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I was done with my post on the top non-dynasty Oilers, it was a bit depressing to look at that list and see just how few of the players were guys the club drafted. Only Jason Arnott, Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky were drafted by the Oilers.

So...

-Not one defenseman was a selection on draft day. For how much I've heard other Oilers fans tell me that Kevin Lowe really knows his defensemen, that sure isn't borne out at the draft table.

-This team hasn't drafted a good goalie since 1981 (Fuhr).

Oh, how I wish the management of this club, going on 20 years now, was as good at drafting and developing talent as they are at acquiring at through trades.

Draft day is SO important. It's an opportunity to pick up young talent for free (well, the price of scouting) and address your needs. The Oilers have a truly bizarre history in their scouting department.

-Had a head of scouting (Barry Fraser) lived in Mexico, and didn't even draft-aged players first-hand. For the life of me, I can't wrap my head around that. If I were GM and my Head of Scouting came up and said "Hey Daryl, I'm moving to Mexico", I'd be answering with "Hey bud, I'm getting a replacement for you."

-Until this past World Junior Championship, the Oilers had never sent a scout to the tournament. Not one. Never. Nada. You get my meaning. When I heard them admit that in an interview during the World Juniors this past year, I wanted to find something to break.

-It's tough to find a GM whose drafting history has the kind of Jekyll and Hyde history as does Glen Sather. His first draft was a beauty: Lowe, Messier and Anderson. Next year he walks away with Coffey, Kurri and Moog. For the next couple of years, he walks away with a player or two who is an everyday player, with no all-stars in the bunch.

With his first-round selections from 1982 till 1999, he came up with two impact players: Jason Arnott and Ryan Smyth. The rest of the group is comprised of:

Everyday players: Jeff Beukeboom (1983), Boyd Devereaux (1996)

Fringe Players: Tyler Wright (1991)

The rest are just complete and total wash-outs. Sather's 1st round picks, along with their boxcars:

1982 - Jim Playfair (21 GP, 2-4-6)
1984 - Selmar Odelein (18 GP, 0-2-2)
1985 - Scott Metcalfe (19 GP, 1-2-3)
1986 - Kim Issel (4 GP, 0-0-0)
1987 - Peter Soberlak (0 GP, 0-0-0)
1988 - Francois Leroux (249 GP, 3-20-23)
1989 - Jason Soules (0 GP, 0-0-0)
1990 - Scott Allison (0 GP, 0-0-0)

I have to take a time-out here to talk about the 1990 draft. It is THE worst draft day in the history of the Oilers, and it might well be the worst in NHL. Ahem: NOT A SINGLE PLAYER SELECTED THAT YEAR PLAYED AN NHL GAME! How the hell is it possible to miss the boat that badly?

1992 - Joe Hulbig (55 GP, 4-4-8)
1994 - Jason Bonsignore (79 GP, 3-13-16)
1995 - Steve Kelly (149 GP, 9-12-21)
1997 - Michel Riesen (12 GP, 0-1-1)
1998 - Michael Henrich (0 GP, 0-0-0)
1999 - Jani Rita (66 GP, 9-5-14)

Abysmal first-round drafting right there. Or, maybe you're thinking "The draft is a crap shoot. Maybe the other teams didn't do better. You'd be wrong.

Oilers 1st rounders, average: 262 GP, 53-74-127
Other teams' average: 534 GP, 106-173-279

You read that right; the Oilers were a little bit less than 50% effective at drafting as the other teams in the league, and that just wasn't good enough.

I know what you're going to say: "But the first ten years, they drafted late. The good players were already taken. Sorry again. The teams drafting after the Oilers during those years selected players with average numbers of 327 GP, 92-138-229. Again, WAY better than the Oilers.

For all the years they complained that money kept them from being competitive, they just simply didn't get it done at the draft table. If they'd only have been willing to take that hard look in the mirror instead of making such lame excuses.

Daryl

·
Registered
20 Posts
You know they did draft a someone who everyone can't wait to play on the oilers is Jordan Eberle. I want him on the team to. He's probably one of the best picks by the oilers ever. Now they can get Hall or Seguin. Just in 4 days Draft Day is coming.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know they did draft a someone who everyone can't wait to play on the oilers is Jordan Eberle. I want him on the team to. He's probably one of the best picks by the oilers ever. Now they can get Hall or Seguin. Just in 4 days Draft Day is coming.
Yes, Eberle looks like a good pick so far. Remember, I'm just talking about the draft history of Glen Sather. In the the past ten years, the drafting has definitely improved. Some mistakes, but fewer all-out misses.

Daryl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts