Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North Carolina man says monuments should not have been clad in Hurricane jersey

10:33:12 EDT Aug 1, 2006


RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A resident has defended his actions in removing Carolina Hurricanes jerseys from local monuments.

"Do you think Andrew Jackson, sitting majestically on his horse while wearing a Hurricanes jersey was awe-inspiring and thought-provoking?" Davis Jones told the North Carolina Historical Commission. "No, it was a distraction and derailed the purpose of the monument to both educate and honour."

Jones, 49, was issued a citation for injuring the personal property of the state on May 24, when he removed the jerseys from the Union Square monuments. The statues were decorated for the Hurricanes' playoff run.

Hurricanes staff then removed the rest of the jerseys.

The Hurricanes, who own the jerseys, decided not the pursue the case.

The charges against Jones were dropped Friday.

Commission chairman Jerry Cashion said he was taking steps to ensure that it didn't happen again.

"I share the outrage over the desecration of the monuments," he said.

Hurricanes spokesman Howard Sadel said the team would probably not put jerseys on the statues in the future.

Jones, who said he's a fan of the Stanley Cup champions, did not apologize.

"I considered it not only a responsibility, but a duty to go down there and take those jerseys off," he said.

The statues also were adorned in jerseys in 2002. But the commission was not contacted either time for permission as statutes require.

Jones said state Administration Secretary Britt Cobb gave the team permission to put up the jerseys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
Who cares about the jerseys they should remove the team from carolina.
I couldn't agree more.
The nhl will officially have sunk to new lows, should Anaheim win the cup next year and florida the next. That would be(since tampa won theirs), four teams nobody remembers about....even within their own city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
Sherek X said:
SET UP I TELL YOU!:laugh:

Let me tell ya, I am tired of hearing about carolina, shows how retarded their people are.. Detroit does that to the spirit statue.. they are just trying to make traditions, if the guy doesnt like it i say get over it!

he must not be a hockey fan; that is self evident:rolleyes:

oh well, it doesnt anger me its pretty retarded!:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I really dont know why everyone hates this team. We have really great fans in Carolina. It just takes a little time to warm people up to hockey here. Hockey is never going to become a major sport as long as people out there think it should only be confined to the North. Expansion takes time and pateince.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
shanny14 said:
Let me tell ya, I am tired of hearing about carolina, shows how retarded their people are.. Detroit does that to the spirit statue.. they are just trying to make traditions, if the guy doesnt like it i say get over it!

he must not be a hockey fan; that is self evident:rolleyes:

oh well, it doesnt anger me its pretty retarded!:laugh:
What does that have to do with my post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
Who cares about the jerseys they should remove the team from carolina.but everyone here knows my opinion about carolina.
Since everyone knows your opinion, then why must you continually repeat it ad naseum?? Get a life, dude!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
gocanes said:
I really dont know why everyone hates this team. We have really great fans in Carolina. It just takes a little time to warm people up to hockey here. Hockey is never going to become a major sport as long as people out there think it should only be confined to the North. Expansion takes time and pateince.
I actually don't mind Carolina. The 'Canes won the State's first ever professional sports Championship, so who knows where things can go from here.

They may not be a hotbed right now, but they're a decent Hockey city alreayd IMO (they're building is louder than most) and I only see improvement in the future.

As long as their team remains successful of course.

Oh, and their commentator rules. What's his name? I never seem to remember it. :dunno:

"They score! That's Hockey baby"
"And Ward says NO!"
Tic-Tac-Toe! That's Hockey baby!
"THEY SCORRRRRRRRRRRE!") (Crowd goes nuts and the goalhorn goes off.)

Oh yeah, that guy's awesome :cool: ... and their goal horn is loud and wicked. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
961 Posts
Carolina

BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I actually don't mind Carolina. The 'Canes won the State's first ever professional sports Championship, so who knows where things can go from here.

They may not be a hotbed right now, but they're a decent Hockey city alreayd IMO (they're building is louder than most) and I only see improvement in the future.

As long as their team remains successful of course.

Oh, and their commentator rules. What's his name? I never seem to remember it. :dunno:

"They score! That's Hockey baby"
"And Ward says NO!"
Tic-Tac-Toe! That's Hockey baby!
"THEY SCORRRRRRRRRRRE!") (Crowd goes nuts and the goalhorn goes off.)

Oh yeah, that guy's awesome :cool: ... and their goal horn is loud and wicked. :)
The team should still be in hartford.and again everyone here on this forum knows how i feel about hartford moving to carolina.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top