Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jets Home This Weekend

Fargo (ND) The Fargo-Moorhead Jets continue a season-long seven game home stand this weekend with a pair of games against the Alexandria Blizzard at the Carlson Coliseum. On Friday night the puck drops at 7:35pm, with a 7:05pm face-off set for Saturday night in the conclusion of what is the FM Jets' first series this season against another Central Division rivals.

Along with the action on the ice, the FM Jets have two more exciting promotions planned including Canadian Night and Youth Night.

Friday's game will feature the FM Jets' first-ever Canadian Night as the team honors the country that has embraced hockey as its national passion. Anyone with proof of their Canadian citizenship receives a FREE general admission ticket to the game. In addition, the team will play the Canadian National Anthem prior to the opening face-off, hold a poutine eating contest and ask trivia questions related to Canada.

Then on Saturday Night, all general admission tickets for fans 18 & under are only $5 as part of the team's first Youth Night of the season.

The FM Jets Junior A Hockey Club is in its fourth season as members of the North American Hockey League. The NAHL is the nation's largest Junior A hockey league and is now in its 31st year of operation. For more information, visit fmjets.com or call (701) 235-2354.

Jets home games are played at the John E. Carlson Coliseum in Fargo, ND. All games are broadcasted on Today's Hot New Country 103.9 THE TRUCK and audiosportsonline.com.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bobcats hit the road this weekend

Your first place Bobcats are on the road this weekend against the Iowa Outlaws. The Bobcats play the Outlaws at Mason City on both Friday and Saturday nights at 7:00 pm.

You can listen to both of these games and all of the home and away games this season by going to BismarckBobcats.com. Nick Hulberg, the voice of the Bobcats, puts the game right in your living room! Don't miss all the action on Sportsjuice at Bismarckbobcats.com.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Texas Tornado Opening Weekend is Here

Frisco, Texas - For the first time this 2006-07 season, the Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champion Texas Tornado will return home to the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco for their first home games. On Friday, October 6th and Saturday, October 7th, the Tornado will host the Santa Fe Roadrunners at 7:30pm at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco. Tickets for the games can be purchased by calling the Tornado office at 972-335-9800 or fans can Purchase Tickets Online Now!

The doors open at 6:30pm for the 2006-07 Texas Tornado home opener at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco on Friday. Each fan will receive a Commemorative 2006-07 Texas Tornado Magnetic Schedule and the Tornado will raise the South Division Champions and National Champions banners prior to the opening face-off... you don't want to miss it! On Saturday, the doors open for Game #2 of the home opening weekend series against Santa Fe. Each fan in attendance will receive a Commemorative Texas Tornado 2006-07 Schedule Poster!

Save Money and Take Advantage of the Best Sports Entertainment Deal in Texas! The headline says it all... it is the new deal that simply can't be beat. This year, the Texas Tornado announce the Best Sports Entertainment Deal in Texas. Here is how it works... simply get a group of 20 or more people, and each person in the group receives a ticket to a Tornado home game, a delicious hot dog, chips, and a Dr Pepper product for only $9.50 per person! This offer is valid for any Texas Tornado home game throughout the 2006-07 regular season, including home opening weekend on Friday, October 6th and Saturday, October 7th as the Tornado host the Santa Fe Roadrunners at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco at 7:30pm both nights.

Listen or Watch the games LIVE this weekend... both games this weekend will be broadcast live on the Tornado Hockey Network. Fans can listen to the game for FREE, or fans can watch the game live for a small pay-per-view fee.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
North Stars' Elmblad to U-M

TRAVERSE CITY - Not long after the Team USA U-17 squad held off the Traverse City North Stars in a decisive Game 5 of last year's North American Hockey League North Division semifinal playoff series, Eric Elmblad went right back to work. But instead of chasing a NAHL Robertson Cup championship, the St. Ignace native was running down a dream.

"Since I was a kid, it's been a lifelong dream to play hockey at (University of) Michigan," said Elmblad, whose indelible image after scoring an overtime clincher in Game 3 of the USA-17 playoff series has become a de facto component of the North Stars' branding. "I got into the school and deferred my enrollment for two years so I could try to become the kind of hockey player who could make it here. There were some bumps in the road along the way, I guess, but I never really lost sight of that goal."

Over the summer, Elmblad contacted Wolverines assistant coach Mel Pearson and inquired about getting a look from the U-M coaches as a walk-on. A rigorous training regimen followed, as Elmblad prepared himself to dazzle the Wolverines' staff.

"We did not recruit him, and I told him right away that it's pretty tough to make it here as a walk-on, especially given how much depth we have this year," explained longtime Michigan coach Red Berenson. "That might have discouraged some kids, but it only seemed to make Eric work harder, and that's something I really admired about him."

Berenson has seen his share of Wolverines hopefuls come and go over the course of his 23 years in Ann Arbor. And some have helped Berenson win nearly 600 games (eighth in all-time NCAA victories), nine CCHA titles and pair of national crowns. But the coaching legend says Elmblad earned his block 'M' sweater the old fashioned way.

"It's rewarding for me to see a kid work like that toward a goal and reach it," Berenson added. "Nothing was handed to Eric. He just plain wanted to be here."

Elmblad had three goals and six assists in 36 games with the North Stars last year after spending 2004-05 with the NAHL champion Texas Tornado. Traverse City head coach Scott Gardiner moved him to forward toward the end of the season and it paid huge dividends in the club's first-ever home playoff game, won by Elmblad's tip-in in overtime on April 7.

"It's big for us as a team, but it's just a great, great thing for Eric," Gardiner said. "He worked hard academically to get where he is, and he did the same thing on the ice and look where it got him. We here in Traverse City couldn't be happier for him or prouder of him. He's a great kid and he deserves all of it."

The scholarly Elmblad - who, by the way, is also enrolled in the prestigious U-M School of Engineering - says that his NAHL stint truly helped him prepare as a hockey player intent on playing for the Wolverines.

"Playing in the North American league helped me develop a certain work ethic," he explained. "I tried to learn how to be strong with the puck and to be able to play a physical game. It's a good level of competition, and playing there definitely helped my development as a player and a person."

While the first hurdle - making the team - has been cleared, Elmblad now faces the challenge of securing his share of playing time. But challenges are nothing new to the 6-4, 210-pound defenseman/ forward.

"When you come in as a walk-on, you generally start at the bottom of the depth chart," Berenson said. "And we are very deep on defense, so his work isn't done. He knows that, and I'm sure that will probably drive him even harder."

True.

"I'm still in a little bit of shock just making it," Elmblad admitted. "But there's a lot of work ahead of me still. But this isn't something I just decided to try this summer - I've been aiming at this for a long, long time. I'm not going to back down from any challenge."

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hollywood ending for Igor Larionov

Igor Larionov's hair is a little speckled with gray, but the 45-year-old former Detroit Red Wings star looks remarkably like he could still play.

Larionov was in Traverse City on Saturday to autograph copies of the "Farewell From Moscow — The Igor Larionov Farewell Game" DVD at Best Buy, as well as participate in Dave Lewis' hockey camp.

Eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame next year, Larionov said proceeds from the DVD's sale will go to his charity to help Russian children purchase hockey equipment.

complete article

1 - 5 of 5 Posts