Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
8/15/2006 3:47:47 PM

The Phoenix Coyotes are close to signing veteran forward Owen Nolan to a one-year contract.

Coyotes management is awaiting word from the team doctors on the final results of a battery of tests that have taken place over the past three weeks.

The team has reportedly been impressed by both Nolan's conditioning and his desire to return and feel confident he will be a great addition to their roster, if the medical clearance comes Tuesday.

It's estimated that Nolan worked through as many as eight separate tests in an effort to prove his health and pain-free status.

If all goes according to plan, an announcement will be made in Phoenix on Wednesday.

Nolan, an unrestricted free agent, last played for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2003-04. The 34-year-old had surgery on his right knee over a year ago.

Nolan's knee injury led to three grievances with the Maple Leafs: one in December 2004 over an alleged improper suspension of Nolan, one in January 2005 over the Leafs' refusal to pay the $5.6 million US salary for that year, and a third in September 2005 when the club did not honour the option clause in Nolan's 2005-06 contract.

Nolan was the first overall pick by Quebec in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft and has played 14 season with the Nordiques, San Jose Sharks and Maple Leafs.

Nolan has 349 goals and 735 points in 915 career NHL games.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never understood why Quinn didn't like this guy. :dunno: He can be a real force on any team, if they play him on a regular basis!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
He was never used properly on Toronto. For some reason Quinn always saw it it to play him on the 3rd line behind Antropov, instead of having him in one of the top 2 RW positions like one would think that he's supposed to be played in.

Quinn being gone opens up a lot of doors that were locked for the Leafs now.

As for Owen Nolan: If he can stay healthy, he'll be great for Gretzky.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
He was never used properly on Toronto. For some reason Quinn always saw it it to play him on the 3rd line behind Antropov, instead of having him in one of the top 2 RW positions like one would think that he's supposed to be played in.

Quinn being gone opens up a lot of doors that were locked for the Leafs now.

As for Owen Nolan: If he can stay healthy, he'll be great for Gretzky.
I found that Quinn was really drawn towards the European players, more than an other, that's ok, but he didn't match them up well together. Even in his drafts, oh well, look where he is now........outside looking in, for the moment anyway!!!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nolan to sign with Coyotes today

TSN.ca Staff
8/16/2006 9:39:59 AM

Owen Nolan and the Phoenix Coyotes are about to make his employment with the team official.

Sources tell TSN Nolan will sign his contract in Phoenix this morning, clearing the way for the NHL team to announce his addition.

Tuesday, Coyotes doctors received the final medical verification Nolan is ready to return to the National Hockey League from a rigorous rehab on an injured knee.

Phoenix will open training camp on September 14th and its Nolan's intent to be more than ready to join the battle at that time.

He is already in the process of purchasing a home in Arizona and has told Coyotes management he will be on the ice as part of a local pro-camp beginning this Sunday.

The one year deal is believed to pay Nolan between 1 and 1.25 million dollars.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
panoo2004 said:
I found that Quinn was really drawn towards the European players, more than an other, that's ok, but he didn't match them up well together. Even in his drafts, oh well, look where he is now........outside looking in, for the moment anyway!!!

i think thats hence the reason he would only coach team canada when the gold matches were going on?:dunno:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
shanny14 said:
i think thats hence the reason he would only coach team canada when the gold matches were going on?:dunno:
Not sure what you mean?

He's from Canada, so why wouldn't he coach Team Canada? :dunno: Actually, I never liked him coaching Team Canada!!!

But I'm talking in the NHL!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Not sure what you mean?

He's from Canada, so why wouldn't he coach Team Canada? :dunno:

But I'm talking in the NHL!!

i need to find the article, but there was one about one of the other olympic teams offering him the reigns to be coach... i didnt get why they would. it was just some old time news.

ya i know, nhl hes the same. he likes the euro players. maybe he thinks that they have more skill?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shanny14 said:
i need to find the article, but there was one about one of the other olympic teams offering him the reigns to be coach... i didnt get why they would. it was just some old time news.

ya i know, nhl hes the same. he likes the euro players. maybe he thinks that they have more skill?
Oh really, I didn't know that??

Actually, I never liked him coaching Team Canada!!! He was never one of my favorite coaches!! :thumbsdow

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
my favorites are scotty bowman and ken hitchcock. i dont know, those two in my mind are two of the best.. right up there with jack adams!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TSN.ca Staff
8/16/2006 9:41:01 AM

Owen Nolan and the Phoenix Coyotes have made his employment with the team official. Nolan signed a one-year contract with the Coyotes on Wednesday.

''A healthy Owen Nolan can help our hockey club,'' said Coyotes general manager Michael Barnett. ''After considerable due diligence, we've found his injuries to be well healed. He's fit, focused and anxious to get back battling on NHL ice.''

Tuesday, Coyotes doctors received the final medical verification Nolan is ready to return to the National Hockey League from a rigorous rehab on an injured knee.

Phoenix will open training camp on September 14th and its Nolan's intent to be more than ready to join the battle at that time.

He is already in the process of purchasing a home in Arizona and has told Coyotes management he will be on the ice as part of a local pro-camp beginning this Sunday.

The one year deal is believed to pay Nolan between 1 and 1.25 million dollars.

The five-time all-star who has collected 349 goals, 386 assists and 735 points in 915 career NHL games with Quebec, Colorado, San Jose and Toronto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts