Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard of it last year after I noticed a lot of players wearing it.

I'm wondering about how this came to be though. Is it a merge of Bauer and Nike, a small promotion of sorts, or both? Did one company by another (Nike buying Bauer or vice-versa)?

Also, how and when did any of this happen? :dunno:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Bauer is one of the leading manufacturers of hockey equipment, fitness and recreational skates. The hockey equipment that Bauer produces include: helmets, gloves, sticks, skates, shinguards, pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads, as well as goalie equipment. In 1994, it became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nike, Inc. In 2006, the release of the Bauer Supreme one90 showed for the first time, the new brand name 'Nike Bauer' on the one product. This was also the first time Nike has ever had a joint brand name on a product. The company now uses the Nike Bauer name on all its products.

Bauer was first established in 1927 in Kitchener, Ontario. In 1933, Bauer was the first hockey company to begin producing hockey skates in which the blade was attached to the boot. In 1994, Bauer began producing the perforated TUUK chassis, which is the piece of equipment that connects the steel blade to the actual boot of the skate. This revolutionized the sport of hockey because it allowed skates to be made lighter, as well as more durable.

CCM was also bought by Reebok!!

CCM was founded in 1899 after the collapse of the bicycle market. Established "when the operations of four major Canadian bicycle manufacturers amalgamated: H. A. Lozier, Massey-Harris, Goold, and Welland Vale Manufacturing," CCM produced bicycles for many years in the area of Weston, Toronto, Ontario. They also briefly produced an automobile.

By 1905 with saturation in the bicycle market, CCM also began producing hockey skates and subsequently began manufacturing other hockey gear.
In 1937 CCM acquired the Tackaberry brand and "Tacks" have been the company's signature skate since.

Over the years, CCM acquired other hockey equipment makers (such as Karhu) and became known as "The Hockey Company".
In June 2004, The Hockey Company, along with the CCM brand name, was bought by Reebok.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since 1994?! I had no idea. :dunno:

I heard about CCM and Rebook though. "RBK" is usually the name they use now I think, like "NikeBauer". (CCM and Reebok still have their name on products as well)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts