Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coral Springs · Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk were 23 years old when they won the Stanley Cup with Calgary in 1989. Teammate Lanny McDonald was 36.

"We thought `When is he going to retire?'" Roberts recounted Wednesday. "He was ancient. And now we're four years older than he was then." But, Roberts added with a grin, "I think we look a lot better."

complete article

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
LOL!

It hurt badly when I heard they left for Florida, despite bracing myself for their departure all year. I knew JFL would send them packing.

On the other hand, I guess it worked out okay. I mean, the Leafs don't have a 2nd line centerman yet (unless Steen is going there), but it was robably time to try going in a ne direction.

Those two brought it every game though, no doubt about it. I know they'll be a huge boost to the Florida Panthers line-up, especially with the younger players and Bertuzzi around. They'll be good for guidance... and offence.

I mean, Roberts will still get you 40 - 50 points when healthy, and Nieuwendyk 50 - 60 in the same case. Not like they're some washed ups trying to stay in the league, they're still top 6 forwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts