Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rob that is.

The Devils have finally added a center.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello announced this afternoon that the team has signed Rob Niedermayer, the younger brother or former Devil Scott Niedermayer.
Link

Lou should have done this back in July, maybe Scott would have come with him.

The more I think about this, the more it hurts. The Devils tried at least twice to trade for Rob prior to Scott's deciding to go to Anaheim to play with his brother, and now that he's gone Lou goes out and finally gets Rob, four years too late. It's almost like rubbing salt in the wound...

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
First, I was like, whoa, First Pronger, now this? Then I thought for a second and then facepalmed.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Anahiem will lose 2 key defencemen if this happen's.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha, I suckered two people into thinking about the wrong Niedermayer.:laugh:

By the way, we really do need a good facepalm option in the smilies around here...

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Aha, I suckered two people into thinking about the wrong Niedermayer.:laugh:

By the way, we really do need a good facepalm option in the smilies around here...
:laugh:

Nice fakeout. If I hadn't been watching the ticker I would have been doing a double take myself.

Maybe Scott will come back to NJ to play with his brother again. It was very special to win a Cup together especially after one had to lose only a few years before. NJ could sure use a PP quarterback. If I were Lou I would take a serious look at getting Ian White out of Toronto. The kid is buried here but he has a good offensive skills and has worked on his defensive play, improving it every year.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I guess Pelley is demoted now to fourth line duties. With Peters also signed to a 2 year 1 million deal, we've got a fourth line of Pikkarainen-Pelley-Peters. Hey, the Triple P line. Eh, it could be bad but its not a terrible grinder line. I like the signing. Neidermayer is a good replacement for Madden, and is stronger along the boards than Madden was. Hopefully he can bring the tenacity Mad Dog always brought.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess Pelley is demoted now to fourth line duties. With Peters also signed to a 2 year 1 million deal, we've got a fourth line of Pikkarainen-Pelley-Peters. Hey, the Triple P line. Eh, it could be bad but its not a terrible grinder line. I like the signing. Neidermayer is a good replacement for Madden, and is stronger along the boards than Madden was. Hopefully he can bring the tenacity Mad Dog always brought.
Let's face it, the Devils just don't have much depth down the middle. At least in terms of experienced centers. Zajac and Zubrus are the default top two centers, bringing in Niedermayer allows them to put him on the third line, with Pelley centering the fourth line. Niedermayer's also capable of playing wing, which makes him a versatile player for Lemaire to use. And who knows, maybe Jacques can light a fire under his ass and get something more out of him.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Maybe they could use one of their many all-star defensemen to get a center? ;)

But honestly, I wonder why they didn't attempt/ haven't attempted at at Malholtra or Dominic Moore.
Fritsche was just released by the Blues; he's shown a little promise. Maybe they could snag him?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Maybe they could use one of their many all-star defensemen to get a center? ;)

But honestly, I wonder why they didn't attempt/ haven't attempted at at Malholtra or Dominic Moore.
Fritsche was just released by the Blues; he's shown a little promise. Maybe they could snag him?
Moore has shown little offensive upside and he's really just a big body now. Malhotra works hard all over the ice and is a good checking center. But he's just that. A checking center. What the Devils really need was a legitimate scoring second line center that would fit right in with Rolston and Bergfors. Niedermayer doesnt fit that bill but he brings a little more to the table than Malhotra and Moore. And Fritsche just never panned out as the top pick of the BLue Jackets he was meant to be.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Moore has shown little offensive upside and he's really just a big body now. Malhotra works hard all over the ice and is a good checking center. But he's just that. A checking center. What the Devils really need was a legitimate scoring second line center that would fit right in with Rolston and Bergfors. Niedermayer doesnt fit that bill but he brings a little more to the table than Malhotra and Moore. And Fritsche just never panned out as the top pick of the BLue Jackets he was meant to be.
Not to mention that Moore wants $3M and refused to take up anyone on any of the camp invites that he received.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
So.....Stajan, Kulemin and White for Parise? ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts