Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
Dec 19, 2006, 4:37 PM EST

(CP) - Scoring is down from last season, which has the NHL's rules guru contemplating a change he never thought he'd consider.

"I know this is going to rock some traditionalists, and I can say this because I'm one of those, but I really think we've got to look long and hard at bigger nets," Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations, said in an interview with The Canadian Press. That's the kind of thing that can start a revolt in the goalie fraternity.

"Cringe is one word," Dallas goalie Marty Turco said Tuesday after hearing about Campbell's view. "I think it's so far down the line of necessities. I don't think it should be an option, personally."

The NHL came out of the lockout in August 2005 with an impressive package of rule changes meant to open up the game: a massive crackdown on obstruction, smaller goalie equipment, allowing the two-line pass and restrictions on where goalies can play the puck.

It worked. The game has been better to watch.

But the goals aren't going in at the same rate in the second year of the experiment. Through 491 NHL games this season, roughly 40 per cent of the schedule, the league is averaging 5.8 goals per game (not counting shootout tiebreakers). That's down from 6.1 goals per game at the same point last season.

"Wow, stop the presses, 5.8," said Turco. "What, did people think it was going to keep going up like the salary cap? It has to even out, you're going to have ups and downs."

It's still up big time from the same number of games in 2003-04, when the average was 5.0 goals per game, but the trend appears to be going downward from last season's high.

Why?

"I think a lot of it has to be chalked up to adaption," said Campbell. "As you recall, a couple of the reasons that we did massage the rules was because two areas had gotten really good: coaching and goaltending."

And now the goalies and coaches have had a year to figure this out. There are other reasons as well, though none of them are terribly scientific. One could argue the skaters are smarter about what's a penalty and what isn't.

"The goalies have gotten used to the downsized equipment," added Campbell. "Coaches have obviously adapted, they always do, that's their jobs, to the no red-line, to the tag-up off-side, to the puck in the stands (penalty), killing 5-on-3s, a number of things really."

So now what? Campbell says the bigger nets, which have been toyed with in the past, most recently at an NHL rookie tournament last September in Toronto, will be on the agenda at the GMs' meeting in Naples, Fla., Feb. 18-21.

"We're at that point where I think we would be a little bit neglectful if we didn't look at it," said Campbell. "And I'm not saying it's going to be the final result. But certainly we have to look a little bit harder than we have."

First, Campbell would need to convince his GMs in Naples. Then the NHL's competition committee, made up of players and GMs, would have also have to sign off on such a change before it finally goes to the board of governors for approval.

So there's a long way to go before bigger nets ever see the light of day. For starters, people within the game will need to change their long-standing views against it.

"I've never liked the idea when they've talked about it, because that's the tradition of the game," star Tampa Bay centre Brad Richards said Tuesday. "But people are a lot bigger now, they're taller, they weigh more - including the goalies - than they did 80 years ago.

"So maybe it is something that is smart to look at. I'm not sure."

Turco is sure. It's a non-starter.

"We've made a lot of changes and it hasn't even been a year and a half post-lockout," he said. "You can't measure off of that, it's not fair. I think we've made great changes, we've got a great product, things are moving in the right direction economically. I think we can bare to stand pat a bit in terms of changes to the game ...

"We have to relax a little bit, let this game grow and not screw it up."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The goalies have adjusted to the new equipment sizes, so Please, I beg, DO NOT MAKE THE NETS BIGGER!!!! :thumbsdow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bigger nets?

I'm with you, panoo. I'm a traditionalist----
that's the last thing they should consider.
Turco has it right---- it's only been a year and
a half, give it some time. And all this concern over
.3 goal/game?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pffft. I want soccer nets in hockey.
You know you suck, if you miss on a breakaway, then.

Games being called would just suck from then on.
"Wow, he misses the net by 30 yards, SCORES!, top shelf"
"Goal scorers goal, Gord, seeing he only had 10 feet worth of net to shoot at"

*End sarcasm*

·
Registered
712 Posts
It would be sweet if they had soccer nets, 7 players on each team alou don the ice (which is two times the size of olympic rinks), 3 goalies and 2 pucks.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
faulkner91sf said:
It would be sweet if they had soccer nets, 7 players on each team alou don the ice (which is two times the size of olympic rinks), 3 goalies and 2 pucks.

Then we can call the league "THE BAD NEWS BEARS"!!!:laugh:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Krazed Kourse said:
Pffft. I want soccer nets in hockey.
You know you suck, if you miss on a breakaway, then.

Games being called would just suck from then on.
"Wow, he misses the net by 30 yards, SCORES!, top shelf"
"Goal scorers goal, Gord, seeing he only had 10 feet worth of net to shoot at"

*End sarcasm*
:laugh: That was actually quite funny.

But really, this is ridiculous. The NHL isn't even concerned about the way the game is played. It's ALL about goals. How did the group running the league manage to hold on to the positions they have? :dunno:

How about the flow of the game. Goals will come, but the way the game is acually being played is what matters more.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Does it matter? I mean when's the last time soccer changed the size of their nets? Or basketball raised or lower their nets. It's been 6' by 4' for a hundred years.

If they want to see more goals then send Bettman to a junior hockey league where the goalies aren't the world's best. Or ban goalie coaches...or how about blindfold the goalies and tie their arms to the crossbar. Just dress up a shooter tutor and it'll save on salary costs.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The nets are already 6ft wide, why make them bigger, it drops the goalie rate and popularity

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bigger Nets?

what are these ppl thinking... bigger nets, why do we need like 7 goals a game to have a "good game", what every happen to close, high intensity games.. i would rathers see a really close 2-1 playoff game than see a 9-8 goalfest... the goalies are just ajusting to the "new" NHL... they were bombared with goal last season and now are ajusted

The idiots need a new angle to appear to the yanks

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shookem said:
Next thing you know the NHL will have a three point goal line.
Somebody actually said that to me a few Weeks ago!!

They could make it really interesting and have no goalies at all, then they can put up a basketball net!!! :laugh: There would be no controversy about a goal going in, that's for sure!!! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
They change the size of the net, I won't watch hockey ever again!

To many changes will lead to the death to the NHL.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
habs11s said:
what are these ppl thinking... bigger nets, why do we need like 7 goals a game to have a "good game", what every happen to close, high intensity games.. i would rathers see a really close 2-1 playoff game than see a 9-8 goalfest... the goalies are just ajusting to the "new" NHL... they were bombared with goal last season and now are ajusted

The idiots need a new angle to appear to the yanks
I agree 2-1 games are way more interesting then a high scoring game.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Exactly, if the NHL wants a better product it should work on getting a better pool of talent.

Whether that's through developement or team contraction, I don't think it matters. Well, I suppose contraction could be viewed as a sign of a weak businss, so maybe there is a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts