Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certainly some of the most exciting battles in hockey training camps are fought by rookies looking to make the big squad. Who's ready Now? Who's next in line?

WESTERN CONFERENCE (cont.)

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Ready Now: Two blue-chippers are on the way! Patrick O'Sullivan and Anze Kopitar are both solid candidates to make the team and play an important role this year. Either one could compete for this year's Calder as offensive contributors.

Keep an eye on: Slick-skating Fin Lauri Tukonen projects to be a solid second-line winger in the NHL by 2008. He'll play a bigger role for Manchester of the AHL this year.

MINNESOTA WILD

Ready Now: Josh Harding will finally stick with the big club and provide relief for starting goaltender Manny Fernandez. Harding had a superb season in the AHL last year.

Keep an eye on: The team is pretty deep up front this year and it may be difficult for Roman Voloshenko and Benoit Pouliot to crack the lineup. Next year will be better for the two offensively-gifted forwards.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS

Ready Now: Alexander Radulov has a spot waiting for him on the right wing on one of the top lines. Only a poor camp would blow it for him. The reigning Memorial Cup MVP has all the offensive tools.

Keep an eye on: Goaltender Pekka Rinne will have to wait one more year (or two) before he can become a full-time NHLer after Nashville re-signed backup goalie Chris Mason.

PHOENIX COYOTES

Ready Now: There really isn't any room on the Phoenix roster this year for a rookie. However, 30-year-old Swiss player Patrick Fischer could steal a spot on the left wing, while Bill Thomas could possibly sneak in as a right winger.

Keep an eye on: Enver Lisin is widely regarded as the fastest skating NHL prospect, while some consider him the fastest skater in the world -- period. If he can upgrade his stickhandling and shooting abilities, he could be a star in a couple of years.

SAN JOSE SHARKS

Ready Now: Matt Carle is a Calder Trophy candidate and with all the power play time he will see, he could compile as much as 50 points. Not bad for a freshman rearguard.

Keep an eye on: Devin Setoguchi will make his AHL debut this year after signing an entry-level deal with the Sharks. He is a smart, competitive player who will one day man the second line on the right side in San Jose.

ST. LOUIS BLUES

Ready Now: Magnus Kahnberg finally makes his way across the Atlantic Ocean and will make his NHL debut in October. He is a gifted scorer who had lost a little of his aggression in the Swedish Elite League last year. He'll likely find a home on the second line.

Keep an eye on: T.J. Oshie is a diminutive center currently playing college hockey in North Dakota. In three years, Blues management hope to settle him into a second line role capable of producing into the high-sixties.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Ready Now: With the weakness on the right wing, undrafted Jesse Schultz could steal a spot on the second line. Luc Bourdon could also vie for a spot on the blueline.

Keep an eye on: Michael Grabner, drafted 14th overall this summer, is a pure sniper who will likely see a year of junior, and a year in the AHL, before making his NHL debut.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Certainly some of the most exciting battles in hockey training camps are fought by rookies looking to make the big squad. Who's ready Now? Who's next in line?

WESTERN CONFERENCE

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Ready Now: Dustin Penner will likely be the one and only rookie on the team. The 6-4, 245-pound behemoth dominated in the post season, as well as in the American League earlier in the year.

Keep an eye on: Bobby Ryan certainly has a shot at a roster spot this year. However, it will likely be several years before he makes a real dent on an NHL scoresheet.

CALGARY FLAMES

Ready Now: It is looking more and more like Andrei Taratukhin will sign and make his way over to North America this year. Eric Nystrom could crack the lineup as well. While Nystrom will never be a big-time scorer in the NHL, Taratukhin could may put up 65 points one year. It won't be this year, though.

Keep an eye on: Probably the most offensively gifted player in the system, Dustin Boyd will ply his trade at the AHL level this coming season. In two or three years, he could take a run at the second-line center job in Calgary.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Ready Now: Tony Salmelainen is expected to slide right into the first or second line on the left wing, and will be a contributor to Chicago's offense. It is expected that big defenseman Cam Barker will also make the team.

Keep an eye on: David Bolland's skill level has improved dramatically with each season. A year from now he could challenge for a pro-roster spot.

COLORADO AVALANCHE

Ready Now: Wojtek Wolski impressed during a cup of coffee at the start of last season, and again in the playoffs. His impact faded with each game, though, so he must work on his consistency. He is expected to be a major part of the Colorado offense this season.

Keep an eye on: The 18th overall draft pick in 2006, Chris Stewart, is a blossoming power forward who is several years away from making an impact at the NHL level, but he looks to be as much of a certainty as an 18-year-old can get.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Ready Now: Columbus hopes to have a Calder Trophy candidate on their hands in Gilbert Brule, a prolific scorer out of the Western Hockey League. He already gave a preview of his NHL ability last year, potting four points in seven games.

Keep an eye on: Derick Brassard, the sixth overall pick in this year's entry draft, is an offensively dominant player who only stands to be even more so playing in the QMJHL this year as a 19-year-old. He will need to bulk up, and improve his consistency to continue this domination at the NHL level in several years time.

DALLAS STARS

Ready Now: Last year it was Jussi Jokinen, this year it will be Loui Eriksson. Dallas can only hope that Eriksson will work out as well as Jokinen did.

Keep an eye on: Joel Lundqvist is an offensively talented player who will make his North American debut this year in Iowa of the American League. He should have an opportunity in Dallas next year.

DETROIT RED WINGS

Ready Now: Jiri Hudler will have to clear waivers if Detroit wants to send him down this year, so this will finally be the year that the diminutive, highly-skilled winger sticks.

Keep an eye on: Igor Grigorenko was an elite prospect a few years ago, before a traffic accident derailed his career. He has worked himself back into form, but has elected to play at least one more season in Russia.

EDMONTON OILERS

Ready Now: It's anticipated that young sniper Robbie Schremp will make the squad this year. He will likely be eased into the lineup, seeing minimal ice time with most of that on the power play.

Keep an eye on: Andrew Cogliano will be another two or three years in Michigan, followed by a year in the American League. The diminutive forward has dynamite moves and nice speed, and has a promising future as a point-producer in the NHL.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

EASTERN CONFERENCE (cont.)

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Ready Now: Bruno Gervais has two NHL games too many under his belt to be an official "rookie", but as an offensive rearguard he has been impressive. If he asserts himself early, he could do some nice damage on the power play this year for the Islanders.

Keep an eye on: Ryan O'Marra made a successful jump from the junior ranks to the AHL, although his plus/minus was a little weak during the seven-game stint. Look for a solid full year in the AHL this season, and continued improvement from the 15th overall pick in 2005.

NEW YORK RANGERS

Ready Now: Jarkko Immonen, acquired from Toronto in the Brian Leetch deal of a couple of years ago, had an excellent campaign in the AHL last season and didn't look out of place during a six-game stint in New York. He could garner 40 points this season as a full-time NHLer.

Keep an eye on: Goaltender Al Montoya may have to wait two more seasons for Kevin Weekes' contract to run out. By that point he should be ready for a backup role in New York.

OTTAWA SENATORS

Ready Now: He no longer qualifies as a rookie, but Michal Barinka should make the roster full-time as the seventh defenseman. The big, defensive defenseman was acquired in the Martin Havlat trade.

Keep an eye on: Another player acquired in the Havlat deal, Josh Hennessy, is a strong skater with excellent hockey sense. He'll center one of the top two lines in three years or so.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Ready Now: Lars Jonsson should make the squad as a Top 4 defenseman. A highly-touted prospect for Boston, Jonsson signed as a free agent with Philadelphia and will see some power-play time on the first unit.

Keep an eye on: Claude Giroux, Philadelphia's first-round pick this summer (22nd overall), projects to be a playmaking winger on one of the first two lines in Philadelphia. Flyer fans will have to wait at least four years for Giroux to become a regular.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Ready Now: Evgeni Malkin ... perhaps you may have heard his name in the news lately? Yeah, that guy. He'll be pretty good. Rearguard Noah Welch impressed in a brief stint at the end of last season.

Keep an eye on: 2006 second overall pick Jordan Staal may not make the squad this year, now that Malkin seems on the way, but Penguin fans won't have to wait long.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Ready Now: Johan Holmqvist at 28 is too old to qualify as a "rookie", but he will battle Sean Burke for the backup goaltender role. In all likelihood, he'll wind up the No. 3 goaltender, who will see spot duty when injuries arise.

Keep an eye on: Stanislav Lascek tore up the QMJHL last season and performed very strongly at the World Juniors. He'll have some seasoning in the AHL before showing his wares in the big league.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Ready Now: Aleksander Suglobov likely thought he went to a more ideal situation when he was traded from New Jersey to Toronto. But take a quick look at the rosters now and there's more room on the wing in New Jersey than in Toronto. He'll fight for a spot, though, as he seems quite ready for the NHL.

Keep an eye on: Justin Pogge is onE of the top NHL goaltending prospects out there. The Leafs would love it if he continued to make huge strides in the AHL this year.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

Ready Now: Eric Fehr is a good prospect on the right wing on a team that is not very deep on that side. Imagine the possibilities (hint: Alexander Ovechkin is a left winger). Tomas Fleischmann could also make the squad.

Keep an eye on: Nicklas Backstrom, the fourth overall pick in 2006, was widely regarded as being ready for the NHL immediately. He opted to remain in Sweden for another year, but could be Ovechkin's centerman as early as next season.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTA THRASHERS

Ready Now: Rearguards Braydon Coburn and Mark Popovic should both make the NHL roster this year, but may be challenged by the fact the Thrashers picked up Vitaly Vishnevski Thursday night.

Keep an eye on: Ondrej Pavelec made huge strides last year in his North American debut. Potentially a franchise goaltender, he's still at least four years away from the NHL. Who knows where Kari Lehtonen will be then?

BOSTON BRUINS

Ready Now: Drafted fifth overall this summer, Phil Kessel is an official member of the 2006-07 Bruins, having signed a contract yesterday. The college star is an explosive skater with outstanding offensive tools. He'll be exciting to watch.

Keep an eye on: Petr Kalus and Martins Karsums will battle for a spot on the right wing. They're both adept at one thing -- scoring goals. However, they'll most likely go for seasoning in the minors, especially now that Kessel is on board.

BUFFALO SABRES

Ready Now: Two-way forward Dan Paille will finally crack the lineup on the fourth line. He projects as third-line winger with a 50- or even 60-point upside.

Keep an eye on: Marek Zagrapan is still several years away, but he is dynamite offensively and only lacks a little polish in his own end. He could also use more bulk.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Ready Now: Andrew Ladd played four games over the qualifier of 25 last season, so officially he is out of the Calder Trophy race. For all intents and purposes, though, the fourth-overall pick in 2004 has a bright future as a two-way forward on a top line. This year, 40-50 points is not out of the question.

Keep an eye on: Highly-touted rearguard Jack Johnson would be a lock to make the squad this year had he not opted to play another year in college. The powerful defenseman brings all the tools to the table, with no glaring weaknesses.

FLORIDA PANTHERS

Ready Now: Janis Sprukts may not make the roster out of camp, but he will see time in a Panthers' uniform at some point this year. Particularly with the injury history of the Panther forwards.

Keep an eye on: It looks like Kenndal McArdle will develop into a third-line shift disturber, capable of potting the odd goal at the NHL level.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

Ready Now: Andrei Kostitsyn should be a regular in the Montreal lineup the same way that Alexander Perezhogin was last year. Kostitsyn has been adapting to the North American game over the last two seasons and should evolve into a decent second-line scorer.

Keep an eye on: Guillaume Latendresse projects to be a power forward with the ability to notch 65 points at the NHL level in several years.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Ready Now: The Devils are in a tight cap squeeze right now and would be more than happy to let a rookie or two sneak onto the team for minimum wage or close to it. Forwards Travis Zajac and Nicklas Bergfors and goaltender Jordan Parise are the top candidates. None of the three will have a huge impact this year.

Keep an eye on: Vladimir Zharkov may be the most offensively talented player in the system. However, he is extremely raw in key areas such as defensive acumen. Over the next several years, the Devils will know what they have in Zharkov.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice list of players panoo2004....I have a couple of the names on your list handy for Hockey Pool season....might even be a surprise pick in there too.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I think Leaf fans are over looking Jeremy Williams. So far, he's shown just as much promise as Suglobov has, but I haven't heard much about him at all.

Hopefully they both pull through this year, as injuries will definitely occur.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brian Lee Ottawa Senators Defense

I got a question. Do you think Ottawas 1st round pick in the 2005 draft known as Brian Lee is gonna be playing for Ottawa this year? I do hope he does.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I would like to see Marek Schwartz in the NHL soon, I remember watching him in the World Juniors and though he was very talented. He wasn't on the list, I though he would be?? I would also like to see Steve Downie.
But for this NHL season I am excited to see Evgeni Malkin, Dustin Boyd,Robbie Schremp and Luc Bourdon.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
senatorsfan1987 said:
I got a question. Do you think Ottawas 1st round pick in the 2005 draft known as Brian Lee is gonna be playing for Ottawa this year? I do hope he does.
Ottawa tends to take their time with their draft picks, so it's hard to say? With all the changes made on the defense, I don't think we'll see him in the line up this year. But who knows?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Ottawa tends to take their time with their draft picks, so it's hard to say? With all the changes made on the defense, I don't think we'll see him in the line up this year. But who knows?
I don't think so either. They got 3 new D-men this year (Priessing, Corvo, Barinka), so it'll still be tough to get in, especially with Preissing almost a shoo-in for a spot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Panoo I don't know I like that you try to make scouting reports, but its just weak. Half the stuff seems like you copied it off a prospect site. I don't know at least you tried I give you credit for that.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Furback said:
Panoo I don't know I like that you try to make scouting reports, but its just weak. Half the stuff seems like you copied it off a prospect site. I don't know at least you tried I give you credit for that.
Weak? panoo2004 is trying to generate discussion as any good mod would do.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Furback said:
Half the stuff seems like you copied it off a prospect site.
Um... *scratches head* That's not much of a secret. :dunno:

Like many topics around here, stories and analysis of interest are copied from other sites and are brought here to discuss. For instance, the "Hockeys Future" prospect rankings which will soon be updated.They'll likely be posted here or at least someone will leave a link to it... or both. (if not by me, than by someone else).

After all, this is Hockeyforum.com. Everything hockey.

Stay a little longer and you'll understand. :cool:

Panoo is doing a great job around here.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts