Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this on another forum and thought it was interesting. They are making new pink and baby blue jerseys for female fans so they can look "Fashionable and still support their teams" I personally think this idea is stupid, the whole point in wearing a team jersey is to wear the team colours and support your team not to look fashionable. What do you guys think?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=fecacf94-8aa7-4cd8-aa3e-5da6f18f36ea

Think pink for the rink
Canucks, rest of NHL to unveil women's jerseys

CanWest News Service; Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
OTTAWA -- There will be a rose-coloured haze in the stands next hockey season. The NHL is producing team jerseys in bubble-gum pink.

"It allows women to be fashionable and still support their teams," said Jenny Lyons Cohane, a spokeswoman for Reebok, which manufactures official NHL team jerseys.

Many NHL teams already offer T-shirts and other apparel in feminine cuts and pastel hues. But this is the first time pink jerseys are to be offered by all the teams in the league.

While the Vancouver Canucks don't have any in stock yet, a team official says the club will be ready for its season home opener.

"There are going to be two jerseys. One will be bubble-gum pink and the other will be baby blue, for lack of a better word," said Canucks spokesman T.C. Carling. "I don't know what Reebok is branding them as. Those will be in our Authentix stores for our Oct. 13 regular-season home-opener in both girls' and women's sizes."

Reebok's pink jerseys, like the official version, will feature the NHL's shield and tags. Available starting Oct. 1, the pink jerseys will retail for about $70 compared to $110 for the licensed men's jersey. The women's product is made of a softer polyester and it features a screen print of the team crest instead of the embroidered crest and shoulder patches.


© The Vancouver Sun 2006
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Amanda said:
the whole point in wearing a team jersey is to wear the team colours and support your team not to look fashionable. What do you guys think?
Personally, I think nhl jerseys already are very fashionable, with very few exceptions.(Bostons 3rd jersey with the bear as the front logo...or dallas' 3rd jersey...or even atlanta's light blue number, just to name a few...*shudders*)

But thats beside the point. I think jerseys already look sharp for the most part, but if this gets even more women into hockey by being more drawn to look the part with more apealing gear, then i'm all for it!

This won't hurt hockey in any shape or form, and I think including women in their target market even moreso with team jerseys in a more apealing color to them, will be a great thing.(Personally, I feel this will be received better in non-hockey cities such as carolina, florida....etc) I don't see these being too huge of a seller in Canada. Nonetheless, I like the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
I don't like it.

I don't hear of many complaints from female fans about the jerseys not being "fashionable"... Haven't heard any at all really now that I think of it. This is the first time (other than on the TEAM1200 a week or two ago, when it was "rumoured").

Many NHL teams already offer T-shirts and other apparel in feminine cuts and pastel hues. But this is the first time pink jerseys are to be offered by all the teams in the league.
I think that's good enough. What's wrong with just the team colours? They can design different out wear (like they've been doing since always... with not many complaints at all, I'm sure), but why the pink?

But Bettman's in charge of the league. It's a circus already, so why not? :rolleyes: It'll also be some extra $$$ in the bank if it actually catches on, and I'll take that as the true driving point behind this idea.

What about the C of Red? Don't Pink and Red clash? :thumbsdow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Bah....can you blame Bettman for desperately attempting to find new ways to make money?

As long as they don't return to a Fox deal where they have the glowing puck....*shudders*...the game will do fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
Ugh!

"Red streak... Blue streak.... Red streak... Blue streak".:eek:

:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw those pink hats also. I can understand if the jersey's were for breast cancer or something but for females to look more fashionable? Since when is image a huge thing for hockey fans unless you are showing huge support for you team (panting your face etc).It is just an over all stupid idea.


But thanks for your imput everyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Amanda said:
I read this on another forum and thought it was interesting. They are making new pink and baby blue jerseys for female fans so they can look "Fashionable and still support their teams" I personally think this idea is stupid, the whole point in wearing a team jersey is to wear the team colours and support your team not to look fashionable. What do you guys think?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=fecacf94-8aa7-4cd8-aa3e-5da6f18f36ea

Think pink for the rink
Canucks, rest of NHL to unveil women's jerseys

CanWest News Service; Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
OTTAWA -- There will be a rose-coloured haze in the stands next hockey season. The NHL is producing team jerseys in bubble-gum pink.

"It allows women to be fashionable and still support their teams," said Jenny Lyons Cohane, a spokeswoman for Reebok, which manufactures official NHL team jerseys.

Many NHL teams already offer T-shirts and other apparel in feminine cuts and pastel hues. But this is the first time pink jerseys are to be offered by all the teams in the league.

While the Vancouver Canucks don't have any in stock yet, a team official says the club will be ready for its season home opener.

"There are going to be two jerseys. One will be bubble-gum pink and the other will be baby blue, for lack of a better word," said Canucks spokesman T.C. Carling. "I don't know what Reebok is branding them as. Those will be in our Authentix stores for our Oct. 13 regular-season home-opener in both girls' and women's sizes."

Reebok's pink jerseys, like the official version, will feature the NHL's shield and tags. Available starting Oct. 1, the pink jerseys will retail for about $70 compared to $110 for the licensed men's jersey. The women's product is made of a softer polyester and it features a screen print of the team crest instead of the embroidered crest and shoulder patches.


© The Vancouver Sun 2006
:thumbsdow NO!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
REALLY bad idea! I'm a chick. I can't stand the color pink. Even if I liked it, I wouldn't want it on a HOCKEY jersey!! I want to support my team's colors. Why would anyone want to wear a PINK jersey with a team logo on the front all pink and white and "girly"!?!

Don't like it. Won't buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
i actualy dnt mind it.. i love the color pink and i think its cute haha! but i wouldnt wear it at a game..cuz obvisouly u wanna show ur true colors...but i have 2 t-shirst that are pink..they're to cute hehe!

but thats my opinion anyway..and i dnt mind it at all :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
I really don't know what started all this pink and blue stuff?

A fan is a fan, doesn't matter what their wearing!!!!

Like the players are paying attention to them anyways, I mean really!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
hockey_gurl_13 said:
exacly panoo hehe!

i guess ppl have thoughts...something to talk about
For sure, people are talking!! :laugh:

I thought the whole "Pink Jersey" thing, was for breast cancer research?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
panoo2004 said:
For sure, people are talking!! :laugh:

I thought the whole "Pink Jersey" thing, was for breast cancer research?
No they aren't unfortunatly, if they were I would be okay with them. Unless after I posted the article and stuff the NHL made some changes so they would be for breast cancer?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top