Do you like the New NHL

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old time hockey

Sherek X said:
I hate all the original 6, it's time for a change!
This new NHL stinks. its to much like the european hockey. and i dont like the shootout either.again with me being alot older than you i am use to a diffrent era of hockey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have to agree with you on the shootout thing its ridiculous why should a single person decide the outcome of a team game. and why are teams givin a point for losing in overtime.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
nikel059 said:
i have to agree with you on the shootout thing its ridiculous why should a single person decide the outcome of a team game.
Because the NHL is a product with a business attached to it and you can't sell a tie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
shookem said:
Because the NHL is a product with a business attached to it and you can't sell a tie.
thats true. i just find it unfortunate that there is a reward for losing
kind of sad isnt it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
As a pure sports person, so do I.

But if one player being successful in the S/O can get the team a point why should one player that's unsuccessful in the S/O cost a team the chance at a point.

That was kinda confused.

If Matt Sundin represents the Leafs in the S/O and gets a goal, he doesn't get credit in the scoring race but the team gets the points because he's their representation. If Big Bert doesn't score in the S/O then the team still gets a point because he was only representing them.

Basically the team hasn't lost, Bert and Auld did, so the whole team shouldn't get punished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
good point but for the sake of discussion
if bert and auld represent there team and if hockey is a team game why not punish them all:D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
No red line? Less clutching and grabbing? What's not to love.

The fact that Carolina and Edmonton were in the Stanley Cup last year is proof that the new NHL rewards skill and talent and not who can score a goal and line their players up along the blue line (Jersey I'm looking at you).

For the most part everything that I could say has probably been said better by someone else, let's go with this guy Mark Bell and his article on Sat.

- #1. Are we done 'fixing' the game already?:

For the most part, you could point to last year's post-lockout tweaking as a success.

Even the traditionalists were happy with how things turned out.

Yet still there are those crying, 'more, more, more.'

Enough already. Leave it alone and let the game evolve on its own.

Next on the list of possibilities is a bigger net.

So, ironically, we're trying to make the game more exciting by turning it into soccer.

Which begs another question ...

- #2. Is there anything more exciting than the shootout?:

There is nothing better than pitting great player against great goalie and the real winner being the fans.

There is not a lover of the game on the planet who is sick of seeing last year's Marek Malik goal.

And for those 'purists' who still complain it's merely a skills competition to decide a team game, leave your seat or turn off the TV.

Can't, can you? In fact, those people who say they still hate it are the same ones who complain about hockey scraps but are cheering the loudest when a pair of Neanderthals are trading haymakers at centre-ice.
The Calgary Sun - NHL season begins kicking off a whole new round of questions, concerns and Devils domination
Well, I probably could say it better than that guy but it saves me some time.

I don't think more changes need to be made though, the league just needed a facelift to make it relevant in the 21st century.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New Nhl

The new NHL stinks. to european. and there to many teams in markets that the NHL has no business in. the shootout also stinks. they never had one for years and it worked out fine. there is a old saying if its not broke then dont fix it. give me the 1960s and 1970s NHL any day.:thumbsdow

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Everybody loves it because it's a quicker game, but at what cost?

You can't even hit a guy anymore, plus most of the games are played 5 on 4 or 3, because there's always somebody in the penalty box, that's fun to watch, isn't it? :thumbsdow

Is it any wonder the game is quicker!!!!

To play one team in the preseason almost every game, and then start the regular season off with that same team, back to back, please, enough is enough, it's sickening!!!!......and then you have to play them again 6 more times, I'm sorry, but variety is the way to go!!! :thumbsdow

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
The new NHL stinks. to european. and there to many teams in markets that the NHL has no business in. the shootout also stinks. they never had one for years and it worked out fine. there is a old saying if its not broke then dont fix it. give me the 1960s and 1970s NHL any day.:thumbsdow
You think the old boys club that is the NHL wanted to change anything? They did because it was broke. I agree that the league tends to over extend its self when it comes to propering up franchises in bad locations but look at the fans in Carolina at the end of last year, even if they were unsure of what was happening they loved every second of it.

Do you know who the bottom five in attendence was last year?
Islanders, Chicago, Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey. How many combined years do those teams have in the NHL? Granted all the most of the franchises in hot places are in the next ten.

What makes the game European? Which teams do you think shouldn't be in the NHL? What was so good about NHL hockey in the '60's that's missing today?

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old Nhl

shookem said:
You think the old boys club that is the NHL wanted to change anything? They did because it was broke. I agree that the league tends to over extend its self when it comes to propering up franchises in bad locations but look at the fans in Carolina at the end of last year, even if they were unsure of what was happening they loved every second of it.

Do you know who the bottom five in attendence was last year?
Islanders, Chicago, Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey. How many combined years do those teams have in the NHL? Granted all the most of the franchises in hot places are in the next ten.

What makes the game European? Which teams do you think shouldn't be in the NHL? What was so good about NHL hockey in the '60's that's missing today?
They are taking fighting out of hockey, that stinks. they are taking the hitting out of hockey that stinks. its to european. as far as the teams i would like to see go here are a couple
1)CAROLINA
2)FLORIDA
3)TAMPA
4)NASHVILLE
5)COLUMBUS
6)PHEONIX
7)DALLAS

The NHL needs to come back to Winnipeg, Quebec, hartford.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
They are taking fighting out of hockey, that stinks. they are taking the hitting out of hockey that stinks. its to european. as far as the teams i would like to see go here are a couple
1)CAROLINA
2)FLORIDA
3)TAMPA
4)NASHVILLE
5)COLUMBUS
6)PHEONIX
7)DALLAS

The NHL needs to come back to Winnipeg, Quebec, hartford.

Dallas and Tampa? Are you serious those were two of the top teams in terms of attendence and biggest TV markets in the States not named NY or LA.

Fighting in hockey is something I could care less for, I don't think it's a great part of the game and would "fight" to keep it but I don't turn away when somene drops the gloves.

What do you have against Columbus? Have they even had enough time to become one of "those" franchises? Doesn't anybody give a team a chance to see it the city takes to it nowadays?

I'd think about moving Phoenix though, that was a big mistake.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Winnipeg

nikel059 said:
hey im from winnigeg
if we cant support a team here and pheonix can why shouldnt they have the team

Go Sens:cool:
The reason that the jets left winnipeg was because they could not get a new arena. they had the fan support. the ownership just felt for some reason that they needed a new arena. i was at one game at the old winnipeg arena and in my opinion there was nothing wrong with it. the arena was torn down this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
The reason that the jets left winnipeg was because they could not get a new arena. they had the fan support. the ownership just felt for some reason that they needed a new arena. i was at one game at the old winnipeg arena and in my opinion there was nothing wrong with it. the arena was torn down this year.
your right i talked before i did my reaserch i was about 9 then so i dont remember why they left. but im not sure why if we had the fan support we couldnt get a new arena built then. :dunno:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
nikel059 said:
your right i talked before i did my reaserch i was about 9 then so i dont remember why they left. but im not sure why if we had the fan support we couldnt get a new arena built then. :dunno:
The city wouldn't come through for them!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
nikel059 said:
Canada was in a resession when the Jets left. I'm sure that impacted the availability of public funding.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
Hello do you like the new NHL or prefer the old NHL. Lets hear from you.

The old NHL was getting stagnant - allowing borderline stick and holding penalties just created a sloppy game.

The new NHL is alot more entertaining. Speed, accuracy, and chemistry rule.
Entertainment is what fills the seats and propels this industry.

... and as a bonus it seems to agree with my fav teams like Sharks (old hometown), Oil, and Sabres (new hometown). :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts