Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sources told Sportsnet Luongo is about to be offered a five-year deal believed to be worth as much as $30 million US.

Sportsnet.ca -- Amid ongoing speculation Roberto Luongo is, or will be an available asset, Sportsnet has learned it is the Florida Panthers intent to sign their star goaltender to a multi-year contract.

Sources told Sportsnet Luongo is about to be offered a five-year deal believed to be worth as much as $30 million US.

Luongo has been the subject of mass trade rumours, however Panthers management remains steadfast he is a crucial element in this team's future success.

That being said, the two sides have a recent history of dispute dating back to Luongo's late summer rejection of a five-year, $25-million deal.

Failing to lure Luongo into a long-term arrangement, Florida exercised one of the new CBA's perks and opted for team triggered arbitration. The arbitrator considered the 26-year-old's numbers and awarded him a one-year salary of $3.2 million, a figure far lower than what he had originally turned down.

Undoubtedly, Luongo will consider this package, however a source close to the Olympian says he and his representation are more interested in a shorter term and do not want enter into heavy negotiations before April.

It seems more likely Florida will be persistant in an effort to get a deal done before the end of the NHL's regular season.

from:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060112_175109_5088
thought to share this

well you can take him off the trade market

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bet he wants to stay in Florida, specially now that it seems we have a shot at the playoffs. He has been pushing a tendinitis in his ankle for a few weeks to prove he is healthy and in his prime. They are probably gonna go for the shorter contract IMO.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds to me like Luongo is probably going to jump ship Florida was stupid not to make a deal when they had the chance now they will probably have to outbid rivals.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yeh but hell likely be going to a contender, as opposed to a rebuilder like the blackhawks.
I think whats really happening here is, if Florida signs him to a long term contract, Luongo will then have more trade value as opposed to trading him only to become a free agent next year, hell look alot more atractive if a team knows theyll have him locked up for another 6 years.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JL said:
Now that Luongo has turned down the Panthers' latest offer, will anyone beleive me when I said that he's ticked-off at the way the last contract negotiations went?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150743&hubname=

The only way I can see Luongo stay in Florida is if Keenan gets canned. You've heard it here, folks! :0pouce:
he will become an canuck just went and see and big bad bertuzzi will become an panter:haha:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
if he does go somewhere, I bet it'll be somewhere that wasnt involved in most of the rumors. maybe LA or columbus, both have good tradeable players

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Luongo turns down $30 million offer

Canadian Press

1/28/2006 9:08:56 PM

Roberto Luongo has officially turned down Florida's $30 million US, five-year offer and won't talk contract again until after the season.

And it's believed that Luongo's agent Gilles Lupien has already hinted when talks do resume that he'll ask for more than $6 million a season and will want a four-year deal, not a five-year deal.

Despite Martin Brodeur's new deal paying $5.2 million a season over six years with New Jersey, Luongo's camp still wasn't interested in Florida's more lucrative offer.

''I thought it was a very fair and generous offer,'' Panthers GM Mike Keenan told The Canadian Press on Saturday.

''We've said no to the offer,'' Lupien told the Palm Beach Post. ''We're going to wait until the season is over, and then we are going to talk. We want to wait until at least April.''

...continue
I'll say it again, the Panthers' owners will have to chose between Keenan and Luongo, I'm convinced of that. And with Lupien's relationship with Montreal (former player, he has friends in the organisation), I'm thinking that we just might see Roberto in Montreal in two years if Florida doesn't do anything about this. :hands:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts