Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A source close to the Florida Panthers front office told the Palm Beach Post that the team has made captain Olli Jokinen a four-year, $16 million offer and are waiting for a response.

The deal would make Jokinen, who is making $2.5 million US this season, the highest-paid player on the team, although a long-term deal has not been reached with goaltender Roberto Luongo.

Jokinen's agent, Mark Gandler could not be reached for comment by the Post.

Jokinen, 26, can become an unrestricted free agent July 1 and has been the subject of trade rumours over the last few weeks.

He leads the team in almost every offensive category, is 15th in the NHL in scoring with 56 points, and is on pace to join Pavel Bure as the only Panthers to average more than a point per game in a season.

Jokinen has said he would like to get a deal done by the Olympic break or by the March 9 trade deadline.
Source
thought to share this
if he does not sign this he will be traded to sens or the flames

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think he'll sign, rats I guess that would spell the end of a deal to Ottawa!:doh

Well if Florida's smart they'll keep him, but I sure wouldn't mind his services over here!

He should come to Ottawa, then go back after the season's over - that would be nice. While I'm dreaming I'd better ask for a Ferrari!:haha:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jokinen to turn down Panther offer

The 27-year-old star centre can become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Sportsnet.ca -- Florida Panthers captain Olli Jokinen is not interested in Florida's latest contract offer of four years, $16-million. A source close to Jokinen told Sportsnet the Finnish centre will flat out turn it down.

"We are in two different neighborhoods," the source said, "so it's an easy response -- no thank-you."

The 27-year-old star centre will become an unrestricted free agent this summer if he can't agree to a new deal with the Panthers. The Jokinen camp is confident he will inspire a flurry of interest on the open market.

"We have absolutely no problem waiting until the end of the year," the source told Sportsnet.

Jokinen leads the Panthers in scoring with 56 points (25 goals, 31 assists) in 53 games this season.
from:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060202_105642_5460

thought to share this

·
Registered
389 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. I didn't expect that he'd be interested in any offer from the Panthers. It is a generous offer, but like Luongo, I don't think he gets along well with Keenan.

And personally, I do expect to see him going to Calgary. I don't want to see Ottawa get him, but I think it's more the case that Sutter will be able to pull the trigger on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephane Yelle, Chuck Kobasew and a first rounder on their way out.

-Will

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wilma said:
Doesn't surprise me. I didn't expect that he'd be interested in any offer from the Panthers. It is a generous offer, but like Luongo, I don't think he gets along well with Keenan.

And personally, I do expect to see him going to Calgary. I don't want to see Ottawa get him, but I think it's more the case that Sutter will be able to pull the trigger on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephane Yelle, Chuck Kobasew and a first rounder on their way out.

-Will
yea right will yelle willl not be leaving the flames it will be Shean Donovan,Chuck Kobasew,Jordan Leopold(has not scored an goal for 93 games now)and 2nd rounder for Olli Jokinen,Jay Bouwmeester
recall:Craig MacDonald

than the line would look like:
Leclerc Jokinen Iginla
Huselius Langkow Amonte
McCarty Yelle Nilson
Wiemer Lombardi MacDonald

Bouwmeester Regehr
Hamrlik Phaneuf
Warrener Ference
Giordano

Kipper
Brian Boucher

Injured Reserve: Bryan Marchment,Byron Ritchie
that would look better in calgray

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tw33k said:
and bouwmeester? lmao no...he's the future for the panthers. If they are going to trade him it'll have to be for something very valuable in return.
man o man u must be an dumb :censure:
whut do u think Leopold is? he has an bright future!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Shean Donovan,Chuck Kobasew,Jordan Leopold(has not scored an goal for 93 games now)and 2nd rounder for Olli Jokinen,Jay Bouwmeester
Plain and simple, such a trade is totally unrealistic. The Calgary Flames would be giving up far less than what the Panthers would be. Consider the fact that not only is Bowmeester the future of the Panthers blueline, but he's an Olympian and in his 20s. While I agree that Leopold is a solid defenceman, I think he is cut out to be a top four defenseman for his career. Bowmeester is clearly a number 1 or 2.

I'm also reluctant to think that the Flames will give up Donovan. They need his size, speed and grit more than they need Yelle. In Florida, Yelle would have the chance to be on one of the top lines. Even a troubled scorer such as himself would not have trouble there.

I still think that the initial trade that I said will be the one that pans out in the end. Kobasew will help with the scoring, Yelle adds depth and the pick will help bolster a young roster. However, I don't think this deal would go down if Sutter wasn't able to get in some sort of contract talks with Jokinen. He's not the kind of guy to give another team all that only to watch the returns walk away at the end of the season.

-Will

P.S. Go Nucks, calm the hell down.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What's with all of the talk about Jokinen going to Calgary? I hear Vancouver and Ottawa have been prusuing players too, who's to say he won't end up in one of those places? Or somewhere else even? Some sleeper might pick him up at the very end like Carolina did with Weight.

And of course the LEAST likely thing could happen: He might stay in Florida!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jokinen wants to stay in Florida MADLY. He has done whatever is in his reach to get a good contract and stay.

The difference between luongo and olli is:

LUONGO - wants a vezina and some big dreams of historic goalie. He doesn't care in which team he plays as long as it permits him to put his name in stats books.

JOKINEN - is actually concerned with the future of the Panthers and to build this organization stronger. He knows he can pull this new team forward and make it a strong competitor in a few years from now. Either way .. he is 27 and it is time for him, being the Captain and all, to get a decent paycheck.

I don't know about you guys .. but I like players that want to achieve greatness by making everyone around them great (like Jokinen). Not those that want the opposite, no matter how good he is.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Go_Cats said:
Jokinen wants to stay in Florida MADLY. He has done whatever is in his reach to get a good contract and stay.

The difference between luongo and olli is:

LUONGO - wants a vezina and some big dreams of historic goalie. He doesn't care in which team he plays as long as it permits him to put his name in stats books.

JOKINEN - is actually concerned with the future of the Panthers and to build this organization stronger. He knows he can pull this new team forward and make it a strong competitor in a few years from now. Either way .. he is 27 and it is time for him, being the Captain and all, to get a decent paycheck.

I don't know about you guys .. but I like players that want to achieve greatness by making everyone around them great (like Jokinen). Not those that want the opposite, no matter how good he is.
Quite noble of him. Do him and the Keenan get along well? its not up to jokinen whether or not he stays in florida if his GM dousnt like him.

I predict jokinen will end up going to columbus if they can drop Fedorov. in return, florida will get Klesla, Hrdina, and Shelley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts