Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
9/17/2006 12:39:49 AM

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Vesa Toskala spent most of the off-season on his new boat, peacefully cruising Finland's lakes.

The goaltender then returned to his day job this week in San Jose, where the situation isn't nearly as idyllic.

After leading the Sharks into the playoffs last season during the first sustained playing time of his NHL career, Toskala is back in competition with veteran incumbent Evgeni Nabokov for the starting job in San Jose.

The situation would be even more uncomfortable if the two goalies weren't longtime friends. Toskala and Nabokov both feel they deserve to be the Sharks' starter, and unless general manager Doug Wilson swings a trade, one will be unhappy when the regular season begins for the Sharks on Oct. 5.

"Everybody playing in this league wants to be a No. 1 goalie," Toskala said. "There are lots of rumours flying around, but it's not in my control what's going to happen.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I think Toskala has the inside track on this one so far, but when Nabokov is on, he's on.

He also happens to be one of my favourite goalies, and I was hoping he's land in Toronto rather than Raycroft.

Ah well, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sharks No. 1: Nabakov vs. Toskala

TSN.ca Staff
9/22/2006 4:44:01 PM

San Jose Sharks netminder Evgeni Nabakov had an impressive premiere last night against the Canucks in a 4-3 win.

But will he have enough to keep up the pace in order to regain his top status in the shark tank?

His nemesis in this battle is Vesa Toskala. The Finnish netminder carried the team in the back half of last season, while Nabakov recovered from numerous injuries.

Nabakov can only do his best and let the cards fall where they may. The Oakland Tribune reports Nabakov stating, ''I don't pay attention what the rumors are. Doug will do whatever he needs to do.''

They also noted that one piece working in Nabakov's favour is the inclusion of a no-trade clause in his contract.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

1 - 3 of 3 Posts