Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated/underrated hockey players in the nhl?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think Roman Chechmanek rates way up there on my list of overrated players. Same goes with Alexei Yashin.(Can't think of anyone more overrated than him right now...)

Underrated....
I'm really liking Todd White. I couldn't believe it when the Ottawa senators got rid of him and didn't get anything worthwhile in return.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
One of the most underrated players I think would be Freddy Modin. He scored 3goals less then Vincent Lecavalier last season and doesn't get the same recognition and having 3 50 point seasons. He also has an amazing wrist shot.
For overrated I would have to get back to it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i would have to go with Chara, and well, when he was in Detroit, People Rated Martin Lapoint wayy too high!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
OVERRATED: McCabe - for taking bad penalties he's #1!!!!! And he certainly isn't worth the $28.5M contract that Toronto gave him!!!:thumbsdow

UNDERRATED: Mike Fisher - this guy doesn't get the recognition that he deserves playing in Ottawa, actually a lot of players on the Senators don't get the recognition they deserve!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes they were . if u see fisher playing u will say this player is awesome but no1 really think abt em

u see every thinks of ovechkin and jagr....
and alfredssion(SPELLED IT WRONG) capt of ott is always underrated . he is awesome player and heatley too ......and so does spezza. spezza scored 90 points in 68 games!! U see how much talent he has... only thing i dont like abt them is they try so many fancy things. if they didnt had try these thing in regular season spezza might have got like 100 points in 68 games...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Manny Legace is underrated.
He got bashed a little too much in detroit, but I can't remember an awful goal that he let in. Alot of goaltenders can only dream of being as consistent as he was for the wings.

Andrej Meszaros is underrated. He's easily one of the best young defencemen in the nhl, yet has gone under the radar all season long.(When you're already compared to Niklas Lidstrom at 20....thats quite telling)

Ryan Smyth. I don't even need an explanation here.

And last but definetly not least....when it comes to overrated players, I still think Alexandre Daigle takes the cake, icing...and napkins that came with it.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Overated - Bryan McCabe, and Marty Turco

Underrated - Ryan Smyth and Patrick Elias.

Elias just doesn't seem to get enough credit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gocanes said:
C. Sanford
*Definetly!*
Anyone who can put up stats like he has on a team like st-louis in the past couple of years, should get a medal for it.
I think the blues will surprise many people this year.
They're looking rock solid in goal for once.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I was thinking of starting an underrated players thread, but thought I would search for an existing one and found this. So, since this thread is as old as it is, I'm bumping this to the top to see what everyone's thoughts are for currently underrated players and/or goaltenders.

For me, I feel like Antoine Vermette is slightly underrated. It seems like he plays a pretty good game, but goes pretty much unnoticed playing for Columbus. This season, he finished with a respectable 65 points and was tenth in the NHL with a 17.3% shooting percentage. He was also fifteenth in the NHL with a 54.2% faceoff percentage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was thinking of starting an underrated players thread, but thought I would search for an existing one and found this. So, since this thread is as old as it is, I'm bumping this to the top to see what everyone's thoughts are for currently underrated players and/or goaltenders.

For me, I feel like Antoine Vermette is slightly underrated. It seems like he plays a pretty good game, but goes pretty much unnoticed playing for Columbus. This season, he finished with a respectable 65 points and was tenth in the NHL with a 17.3% shooting percentage. He was also fifteenth in the NHL with a 54.2% faceoff percentage.
Vermette is an underrated player in the NHL. I wish Ottawa didn't trade him because not only does he put up points but he has great speed and hes amazing on the penalty kill. Him and Kelly where a great duo.

----

Some overrated goaltenders in my opinion are Kiprusoff, Turco, Thomas, and I would say Brodeur now.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
This should give hopeful fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs something to think about.

In a poll of 272 anonymous NHL players conducted by Sports Illustrated and published in its latest issue, hard-hitting defenceman Dion Phaneuf was named the "Most Overrated Player" in the league.

The 24-year-old Leaf blueliner captured the title by taking a whopping 21 per cent of the vote. Trailing far behind were the Rangers' Wade Redden (7 per cent), the Canadiens' Scott Gomez (6 per cent), and Phaneuf's arch-nemesis Sean Avery (5 per cent), also of the Rangers.

The survey may come as a shock to many Leaf fans, who've watched their team rebound ever since Phaneuf arrived in town via a blockbuster seven-player deal with the Calgary Flames. The Leafs have gone 11-8-2 with Phaneuf anchoring the back-end.

His steady play and leadership in Toronto has even sparked talk of Phaneuf taking up the vacant captaincy next season.
But the highly paid defenceman, who notched 20 goals with the Flames in his rookie campaign of 2005-06, has yet to score in the blue-and-white and is a minus-3. Despite earning $6.5 million (US) this season, Phaneuf has only put up a total of 29 points over 76 games.

His struggles over the last couple of seasons in Calgary also played a key factor in him becoming expendable just before the trade deadline this year.

Still, the fact he isn't getting much love from his peers doesn't seem to bother Phaneuf, a player known for his bravado and in-your-face personality on and off the ice.

"Everyone's got their own opinion," Phaneuf told the Toronto Star. "It comes with the territory of being a well-known player.... It doesn't hurt my feelings any."
source: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/01/nhlers-agree-dion-phaneuf-is-most-overrated/

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts