Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
JL said:
Jar Jar Jagr
I don't think Jagr is over-rated if you look at his numbers...
over-paid? YES
Arrogant? Selfish? sometimes he comes off that way.

But look at the numbers --> 1,309 points in 1,027 NHL games. He is currently the 26th highest scorer in NHL history, yet only a few months past his 32nd birthday.

If he plays just 5 more years in the NHL he will very likely finish up in the top 10 NHL scorers of all time (points). There's only 9 other guys on the face of the Earth that can make that claim.

If you look at the rest of the top 30 highest scorers in NHL history... the ones that are still active mostly had a big head start on Jagr, who didn't join the league until 1990.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Lots of mention of Jagr- I'm a bit surprised. Overpaid? Yeah, but he's a great player. Although he's takin a step back from his day with Super Mario, can any player honestly say they wouldn't suffer the same setback? His stats since 97-98:

1997-1998 Penguins: GP 77, G 35, A 67, P 102
1998-1999 Penguins: GP 81, G 44, A 83, P 127
1999-2000 Penguins: GP 63, G 42, A 54, P 96
2000-2001 Penguins: GP 81, G 52, A 69, P 121

Very impressive. More than a point per game player every year. He almost recorded 100 points in only 63 games back in 99-00.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people claim that his trade to Washington was his downfall. Not so. It started a clear decline in production but Jagr continued to put up numbers. Stats since going to Washington:

2001-2002 Capitals: GP 69, G 31, A 48, P 79
2002-2003 Capitals: GP 75, G 36, A 41, P 77

Once again, great numbers. He always was a more than a point per game player and scored 30+ goals both seasons. This is a guy who apparently is overrated? Many NHL players would kill for those numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-2004 saw Jagr put up another stellar season. It's certainly a shadow of his better years but you can't fiarly say the man has lost his touch.

2003-2004 Capitals: GP 46, G 16, A 29, P 45
2003-2004 Rangers: GP 31, G 15, A 14, P 29

Jaromir once again was a point per game player (roughly). He fell a little bit short this year (and who wouldn't with the local press constantly calling you out despite performing at a high level). Is Jagr overrated? Not at all, although his once fair market value does currently classify him as "overpaid".

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Brendan Morrison.

He's a 3rd liner on most teams, and almost every point he gets is due to Naslund or Bertuzzi. Honourable mentions go out to Bondra and Broduer [note: Broduer is one of the better goalies in the league, however he would not have numbers even close to what he currently has if he played on almost any other team, thus, while still being very talented, he is very over-rated.]

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
PDO said:
Brendan Morrison.

He's a 3rd liner on most teams, and almost every point he gets is due to Naslund or Bertuzzi. Honourable mentions go out to Bondra and Broduer [note: Broduer is one of the better goalies in the league, however he would not have numbers even close to what he currently has if he played on almost any other team, thus, while still being very talented, he is very over-rated.]
I wouldn't say third liner, but most defeinately a second liner and more then half, hes a good player though, not a super star, never was, never will be, but hes not bad.

·
Hockeyforum Legend
2,960 Posts
PDO said:
Brendan Morrison.

Brodeur overrated?? LMAO!!

and I'm sorry, is Morrision even considered a star player??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
PDO said:
Brendan Morrison.

yah a 60 point player is a 3rd line center?? wtf are you smoking?
and after bertuzzi left morrisson started doing better, hes not a first line center, be he definitly is a 2nd line center, infavt i would call morrisson underrated, no one talks about his speed and his shot, and he also helps naslund and bertuzzi

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
PDO said:
Brendan Morrison.

Bondra? how did you get that? hes one of the best pure goal scorer in the league or even in history... so he doesnt get assists, so he doesnt rack up major points....but overrated? lol but this coming froma guy who says broduer is overrated lol

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I'm not saying Broduer isn't good, but I am saying he's not the best goalie in the league like he is often talked about, and if he played for another team (ie: Florida or Calgary) he wouldn't be up for the Hart or the Vezina. He's in the top third, but to say he is the best goalie when he isn't makes him over-rated. 15th, 15th, 23rd... those are the places he's finished in SV% over the past 3 years, NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 10! Stats don't lie, and SV% describes more about the goalie than any other statistic (Broduers the only goalie I can think of that has had to make less than 10 saves to get a shutout). He wins, and he has a good GAA, but put him on Florida, Calgary or even Toronto and his stats would drop considerably.

Bondra is very inconsistent, and to be one of the best you shold put up similar numbers every year. Since '97 his best year was 52 goals and his worst year was 21 goals, not even half as many.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
PDO said:
Bondra is very inconsistent, and to be one of the best you shold put up similar numbers every year. Since '97 his best year was 52 goals and his worst year was 21 goals, not even half as many.
He was injured that year, only played 62 games...

otherwise he scored 31-45-39-30-26

pretty consistant to me

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
1.) Jagr - Most experts say he is one of the best players in the game. Well since he left Pittsburgh he's been a point a game player, which is good, but he does nothing else. He doesn't play physical, doesn't play well defensively. In my opinion he is not one of the best players in the league and if I had to make a list of the top 50 forwards I'd want on my team, he might not make it.

2.) Brodeur - First I'm not saying he isn't a great goalie, but people say he is the best goalie in the game today and maybe the best ever. Well like PDO said, put him with another team and his stats would look a lot different. He wouldn't have the same number of wins, or shutouts and his GAA would be a lot higher. He is a great goalie, but is still very overrated.

3) Bure - He's a talented player, but a lot of his points have to do with the fact that he just sits along the blue line waiting for that break away pass. He plays like crap defensively and physically. He does score, but that's all he does.

4) Primeau - Some people say he is a great power forward, I disagree. He used to be a great power forward but over the past 3 years he has averaged 39 points and in the playoffs he has only got 8 points in 28 playoff games over the last 4 years. Hardly awe-inspiring. He lays some hits and is good at shutting down the opposition, but can't really be considered a great power forward any longer. In my opinion he's now a less offensive version of Holik.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
FillyFanatic said:
PDO said:
He was injured that year, only played 62 games...

otherwise he scored 31-45-39-30-26

pretty consistant to me
Goals per game in that time, so injuries don't affect the stats, starting in 97-98...

0.68, 0.47, 0.34, 0.55, 0.51, 0.40, 0.34

There's over a 33% difference in numbers there, which isn't consistent at all. He does get 25 Goals per year, but he's not a consistent 40 goal scorer by any means, not to mention he isn't at all physical (can't critique his defense, because it's fine, he only had a big minus because of the team he was on.) I'm just saying when he got traded to Ottawa they acted like he thought he'd score at the rate of a 50 goal scorer, which he obviously didn't...

And thanks for the support on that proud!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
People still mentioning Jagr, I just don't get it. I can understand if you don't like him, I don't particularly like him either. BUt there's no way you can tell me he's overrated when you look at what he's achieved.

I mentioned before that he is currently 26th in NHL all-time scoring (points). Out of those top 30 all-time scorers, here is the top ten in 'points-per-game'...

1.92 Wayne Gretzky
1.91 Mario Lemieux
1.31 Marcel Dionne
1.27 Jaromir Jagr
1.24 Phil Esposito
1.21 Joe Sakic
1.20 Guy Lafleur
1.19 Dale Hawerchuk
1.19 Denis Savard
1.18 Steve Yzerman

And he's over-rated ??? :shock:

This guy has both the potential and time left in his career to pass Messier for #2 all time scorer in NHL history. I'm not saying that's gonna happen... only that it's quite possible - Even if he never has another 1+ point-per-game season again, he could still do it just by staying in the league until he's 40.

21 - 40 of 285 Posts