Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With numerous rivalries around the NHL.. i was wondering what is the most hated team NHL

My Guess is - Toronto

What do you think?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
From what I've seen on a lot of other boards, I'd have to say your right!!!

And a lot of that comes from the media (in Canada), every sports network revolves around them. It doesn't matter what they do, they have to get Toronto in there at some point or another. And CBC, who is not a sports network, is the worst of them all!!

Half the time, you wouldn't even know there were 5 other teams in this country!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I don't know how you could hate the Leafs they haven't won anything.

I understand why Sens fans might hate them but it doesn't make sense for the rest of the league.

Tough question, I guess it depends on where you are. Here it's the Habs or Red Wings but those are also two of the most supported teams here in Toronto.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
shookem said:
I don't know how you could hate the Leafs they haven't won anything.

I understand why Sens fans might hate them but it doesn't make sense for the rest of the league.

Tough question, I guess it depends on where you are. Here it's the Habs or Red Wings but those are also two of the most supported teams here in Toronto.
It's mostly because of the media, every sports station revolves around the Leafs, and CBC, well, no words are needed there!!!

They can't do anything, whether it's a Sens, Oilers or Flames game etc., they always have to bring the Leafs into it, at some point or another!!

It has nothing to do with rivalries at all!!

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
I know this is off topic but you could probaly stick 3 NHL teams in Toronto and Montreal and still get a full house each game.

Most Hated Team - Probably Toronto but I hate Nashville and NY Islanders.

Most Loved - Detroit Red Wings and at the same time there is so many Maple Leafs and Habs fans.

I think the Leafs are the most Hated and at the same time the most loved because they have so many fans

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah i have to agree with you guys.
i find that most other hockey fans hate toronto the most.
and honestly if i werent a leaf fan i'd probably hate the leafs the most. lol, if i were a fan of another team i'd also find the loyalty of leafs fans somewhat annoying. The team clearly isnt very good this year, but i can still find more than a handful of toronto fans who will argue that the leafs will win the stanley cup this season. lol.
and if i were a team like buffalo/montreal/ottawa...i would be angry too if i heard go leafs go being chanted at one of my home games!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
The Leafs.

gagley25 said:
lol, if i were a fan of another team i'd also find the loyalty of leafs fans somewhat annoying. The team clearly isnt very good this year, but i can still find more than a handful of toronto fans who will argue that the leafs will win the stanley cup this season. lol.
That's something I happen to hate as well. And being a Leafs fans, I find that it makes us look somewhat uninformed and unaware of the current situation at hand.

I don't like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
The Leafs.

That's something I happen to hate as well. And being a Leafs fans, I find that it makes us look somewhat uninformed and unaware of the current situation at hand.

I don't like it.
I agree i am not a fan of ignorant leaf fans!

I think of myself as a loyal fan, but that just means that just because the team is not doing so great this season, im not going to jump on any bandwagons and start cheerin for another team. it doesnt mean that i am a blind fan, i can clearly see the team isnt going anywhere this season. at this rate im just hoping that they continue losing and at least get a decent pick in the draft... that is if we dont trade it away for another vet. since we have a habit of consistanntly doing that:rolleyes:

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
gagley25 said:
I agree i am not a fan of ignorant leaf fans!

I think of myself as a loyal fan, but that just means that just because the team is not doing so great this season, im not going to jump on any bandwagons and start cheerin for another team. it doesnt mean that i am a blind fan, i can clearly see the team isnt going anywhere this season. at this rate im just hoping that they continue losing and at least get a decent pick in the draft... that is if we dont trade it away for another vet. since we have a habit of consistanntly doing that:rolleyes:
Your right the leafs need to keep the 1st round pikc for sure, because they havent got a real superstar in years from the draft. Wellwood and Stajan are alright hopefully Pogge will be good

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree with everyone else the leafs are the most hated team in the NHL. I personally don't hate them. But I have noticed that a lot of people hate the leafs because of some ignorant fans. Even though the fans aren't the ones playing the game.

·
Registered
903 Posts
buffalo/montreal/ottawa...i would be angry too if i heard go leafs go being chanted at one of my home games!
I don't recall hearing 'go l**** go' at any of the habs games...

I would go with the leafs, same reason Panoo said and the fact that most of their fans are annoying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
habschick said:
I don't recall hearing 'go l**** go' at any of the habs games...

I would go with the leafs, same reason Panoo said and the fact that most of their fans are annoying.
really? i've heard it a couple times, but its usually quieted down pretty fast, since the majority are habs fans, and habs fans are pretty awesome. I've been lucky enough to watch a couple games at the bell centre, and i just absolutely love that place! thats how live hockey should be, i hate going to games at the ACC its so boring:p This season i went to the habs vs. avs game, jose's first back in montreal after the trade! it was such a good game, i met so many awesome habs fans!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
shookem said:
That sucks Toronto is hated just because they have more people than other places ... stupid but I understand.
Don't know if they are hated due to more people. Think it's just because of the constant belief that we're all Leaf fans north of the 49th so obviously we'd all want to watch them on TSN, Sportsnet, CBC, NHL Network. Tired of seeing Sundin interviews when the Leafs are off, or sending a camera crew to Leaf practice, or SuperLeaf coverage come playoff time just in case this is "THE YEAR".

I think Islander fans would understand when all New York coverage tends to be about the Rangers and nothing about the team out on the Island. Take that on a national scale.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
gagley25 said:
really? i've heard it a couple times, but its usually quieted down pretty fast, since the majority are habs fans, and habs fans are pretty awesome. I've been lucky enough to watch a couple games at the bell centre, and i just absolutely love that place! thats how live hockey should be, i hate going to games at the ACC its so boring:p This season i went to the habs vs. avs game, jose's first back in montreal after the trade! it was such a good game, i met so many awesome habs fans!!:)
I agree with you Gagley, the Bell Centre is such a great arena to play it, watch hockey, the atmosphere is incredible. Same with the Scotiabank place in Ottawa, they have great fans that love the game and get into it and are all nice people, and the arena is just so damn big and loud. I love those 2 arenas definetly my favourites. Id like to visit GM Place in Vancouver and see how that is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll agree with everyone, leafs are the most hated cause THEY GET TOO MUCH ATTENTION. sry so much that its like the other 5 teams don't exist. I remember watching this one tv channel in toronto during the oilers playoff race and they had a 2 sec clip, literally, of the oilers making it to the finals and then they make a big fuss of the leafs not making the playoffs and saying how they should do this and do that. its like if the leafs aren't in the playoffs, hockey is not important anymore. I live in edmonton, and it doesn't matter who makes it into the finals they get a minute section on the news. I also dont like how they have to play leafs game on HNIC every saturday, why leafs games, its ridiculous sometimes. how many people really care if the leafs dont make the playoffs.

sry for the rant but just need to express my views why i dont like the leafs

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Here's another example of how Toronto gets all the attention.
A plus to Daniel Alfredsson, who has now joined some pretty elite company. His goal against the Capitals Tuesday night was his fourth consecutive game winner. The only other player to accomplish the feat in NHL history was Montreal's Newsy Lalonde, who had five straight winners back in 1921.
How many people in Toronto knew about this?

If this had been Sundin, or any other Leaf player, we wouldn't here the end of it!!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
panoo said:
Here's another example of how Toronto gets all the attention.

How many people in Toronto knew about this?

If this had been Sundin, or any other Leaf player, we wouldn't here the end of it!!!
How many people in Calgary heard about that though, or Florida or Carolina or Minnesota.

But yeah it was on sportsnet I think.

I think the Leafs used to be hated because they could spend more money than anyone else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts