Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about them Blue Jays!!!!!!

What a weekend we witnessed.

The best first game ever by a MLB rookie on Saturday and(apparently according to some stats geek) the 3rd most dominating performance by a pitcher, on Sunday.

On Saturday, Arencebia goes 4-5 in his debut. HE hit 2HR a 2B and a 1B. His fist HR came off the first pitch he ever saw in the Majors. The Jays themselves hit 8HR and scored 17 in a complete slugfest.

On Sunday, Morrow throws a 16 strikeout, 1-0, no-hitter until there are 2 outs in the 9th inning. THe Hit was a border line error, but realistically it is only because Hill is so good defensively that he even got a glove on it, and the runner would have beat the throw anyway. Cito comes out to the mound, and the whole audience thinks he is going to take him out. HE asks Morrow, who has thrown over 130 pitches at this point, if he "has one more out left" in him. MOrrow says "yes", and Cito says "OK" and walks back to the dugout. This was about the 20th standing ovation Morrow had gotten that day. Morrow then completes his best game of his young carreer by getting his 17th strikeout to end the game.

What a weekend!!!!! A Sweep over one of the best teams in the American League, and two historical performances to seal the deal.

The Jays begin a series with Boston tonight. Another sweep and the Jays might get within sniffing distance of the Wildcard.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol92JAbQPLY

Best bench clearing brawl I've seen in a while. This all started because Phillips made some comments regarding how much he hates the Cardinals. And before every 1st at bat he has in a game, he always taps the catchers shin guards, just to say good luck. and Molina wasn't too pleased, so he kicked the bat away and that's how it got started.

Carpenter has been known to be a bit of a hot head and he's the one who ends up getting thrown against the backstop.

Both managers were ejected, but no one else.

Now what I want to know is will Phillips have the balls to go out there tomorrow and tap Yadi's shin gurads?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've been following the Blue Jays occasionally in the offseason and witnessed Morrows perfect game.Unfortunate that they lost to Boston today though.

But MLB doesn't match upto NHL in how intense the games are,etc;).

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been following the Blue Jays occasionally in the offseason and witnessed Morrows perfect game.Unfortunate that they lost to Boston today though.

But MLB doesn't match upto NHL in how intense the games are,etc;).
Last night the Sox just killed the Jays. Today it is 2-0 Sox in the top of the 3rd. Something about these Red Sox that just stymies the Jays.

MLB is is a more laid back sport better suited for an afternoon on the deck with several beverages, slowcooking a big slab of beef on the BBQ.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
MLB is is a more laid back sport better suited for an afternoon on the deck with several beverages, slowcooking a big slab of beef on the BBQ.
It's funny how times change, eh?

Baseball has a (now deserved) reputation as a relaxed, laid-back, pastoral game, but it sure didn't start out that way.

It grew out of New York city, the first club (the Knickerbockers) was made up of stock brokers, money managers, etc, and played on Madison Avenue and 27th Street. At the time, the game was seen as being sublimely thrilling, and a great form of vigorous exercise.

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set.

-Walt Whitman
Anyway, yeah... Time have changed, and the game is called boring, maybe fairly, by more and more people, used to increasingly action-filled sports and events.

Wasn't always the case, though.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's funny how times change, eh?

Baseball has a (now deserved) reputation as a relaxed, laid-back, pastoral game, but it sure didn't start out that way.

It grew out of New York city, the first club (the Knickerbockers) was made up of stock brokers, money managers, etc, and played on Madison Avenue and 27th Street. At the time, the game was seen as being sublimely thrilling, and a great form of vigorous exercise.

Anyway, yeah... Time have changed, and the game is called boring, maybe fairly, by more and more people, used to increasingly action-filled sports and events.

Wasn't always the case, though.

Daryl
Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing moments in baseball. I remember cheering and jumping around for Joe Carter's World Series winning home run just as much as I did for Crosby's gold medal winning goal.

It is just a slower paced series of individual battles as opposed to hockey's split second changes. The difference between being on the fore check and playing defense could be 1-2 seconds. In baseball it is more structured. Only one team on offense at a time, etc.

Anyway, a very nice come-from-behind win today by the Jays. Only their first "walk off" win since early June. You would think with the power in the line-up that they have they would do it on a more regular basis but, they are still learning to be winners.

They have almost everything they need to be a winning team except that winning swagger(a la Yanks and Red Sox) and one or two other pieces to fill out the line up. A dominating closer would be one piece and one or two players who hit for a high average so there are people on base when they hit all those homers.

Would have been nice to pick up 3 games on Boston instead of giving them 1 but I think the comeback win today helps them mentally going forward.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Last night the Sox just killed the Jays. Today it is 2-0 Sox in the top of the 3rd. Something about these Red Sox that just stymies the Jays.

I agree with that.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Dam! Yankees are out of post season. O_O

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
What a tragic accident at the Rangers game last night...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Man-dies-after-falling-out-of-stands-at-Rangers-?urn=mlb-wp11900
Man dies after falling out of stands at Rangers game

A man attending a Texas Rangers game with his young son died after falling out of the left-field stands and about 20 feet to the ground Thursday night.

He was trying to catch a ball flipped into the stands by Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton(notes) but apparently lost his balance and fell head-first in a space between the 14-foot outfield fence and the grandstand near the Oakland Athletics bullpen...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts