Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sports Network) - The surging Toronto Maple Leafs aim for their third straight victory when they visit the Boston Bruins tonight at TD Banknorth Garden.

However, the Leafs will be without captain Mats Sundin, who is expected to be sidelined for at least three weeks because of a torn ligament in his right elbow. Sundin leads the team with 11 assists and 19 points.

The Maple Leafs were last in action on Monday and earned a victory over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers.

Andrew Raycroft stopped 40 shots and Nik Antropov's third period goal proved to be the game-winner, as Toronto skated past Philadelphia, 4-1, at Air Canada Centre.

Bates Battaglia, Alexei Ponikarovsky and Tomas Kaberle also scored for the surging Maple Leafs, who won for the fifth time in their last six games.

Toronto currently has 21 points and is second in the Northeast Division -- four points behind the Buffalo Sabres.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Gameday #18: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins

I'll just tag this in here, Panoo... if you don't mind. :)

The Leafs go for their 6th win in 7 games tonight when they visit Boston to take on the Bruins.

Andrew Raycroft stopped 40 shots in Toronto's last win (4-1) over the lowly Philadelphia Flyers, in what Paul Maurice (and many Maple Leaf fans) claims to be Raycroft's finest game in a Leaf uniform.

The Goaltender has been stellar as of late, allowing 6 goals in his last 4 Games, and stopping 122 of his last 128 shots faced. Raycroft is begining to have many thinking that it may be the return of the goale to his Calder winning form.

He now has a 2.73 Goals Against Average and a .911 Save Percentage (posting a 1.50GAA in his last 4 starts), and will be facing the team that traded him in favour of Leaf Goalie Prospect, Tuuka Rask tonight. This will be the team's 1st of 8 meetings in the now often debated NHL schedule.

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/3542-raycroft-spectacular-leafs-win.html

The Leafs, however, will be without Captain Mats Sundin for 3-4 weeks, who has an injury to his elbow. Sundin has been playing his best Hockey in years, and so far has shown that more ice-time form the new Head Coach, and a linemate to set him up in Kyle Wellwood could take him a long way. Not to mention playing with a jump in his step not see for a while not considering the end of last season.

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/3577-sundin-out-2-3-weeks.html

On the other side of the coin, Leafs Defenceman, Pavel Kubina will be returning to the starting line-up tonight, likely to be paired up with rookie Brendan Bell behind the somewhat established (but not entirely cemented) Kaberle-McCabe pairing.

Kubina has missed a whole month with a knee injury he suffered against the Florida Panthers at the beginning of October.

Pavel Kubina said:
"It's been a long four weeks for me. It's so hard to watch the team and not be able to do anything.

The time has passed and hopefully I will come back and help the team."
Leaf forward Bates Battaglia also scored for the Leafs in their victory over Philadelphia. He's been off to a start that he hasn't had in years as he still searches for his 20-goal form of 2002. Battaglia currently has 4 goals in 17 games, close to pace.

Nik Antropov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, and Tomas Kaberle also scored for the Leafs.

Kaberle continued his offencive tear, netting his 11th Point in 6 games on an empty-netter Monday night, and has 13 Points through 17 games (6G, 7A).

The Bruins on the other hand, are coming off of a 5-3 loss to the high-flying Thrashers.

Goaltender Tim Thomas has a 3.47 Goals Against Average and .894 Save Percentage through 8 games, so far not living up to the 3-year deal given to him by the Bruins last season, and only delivering 2 wins thus far.

Bruins Goalie prospect, Hannu Toivinen hasn't faired much better in the 7 games that he's played, posting a 4.20 Goals Aganst Average and a .869 Save Percentage. The Bruins have called-up Goalie Brian Finley today to replace Toivinen, who has been sent down to the minors:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=183319&hubName=nhl-bruins

Rookie Prospect, Phil Kessel, has 5 Points in 12 games (3G, 2).

Trade rumours continue to swirl around veteran Bruins Winger, Glen Murray, who leads the team with 6 goals, 4 on the powerplay.

Marc Savard, winner of one of the 3 stars of the week last week, leads the team with 16 Points in 12 games played, 12 of them assists.

Boston is 4-6-2 through 12 games for 10 points, last in their division and 14 in the East.

Toronto is 9-5-3 though their first 17 for 21 Points, and trail division leading Buffalo by 4 points, and Conference leading Atlanta by 6. Toronto is 4th in the East.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Actually, Pavel Kubina will not be playing tonight.

His wife is just about to give birth to his first child, and he's flying back to the Czech Republic to be there.

Wade Belak will take his spot on the back end.

#On the outside#: Good for him. :)

*On the inside*: Oh my God! Why today?! We're so screwed!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well, I hope that the guys can all step up without Mats, they've done it before, so hopefully they can do it again!

GO LEAFS GO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Yet again, Toronto barely escapes with the victory.

I didn't see that play that McCabe did too clearly near the end that Bruins fans thought should have been a penalty, but that's how close it was. Who knows if it was a missed call and the refs inadvertently saved the Leafs.

6-4 final. Boston almost tied it.

Raycroft may have a groin injury, that's why he had to leave the game.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Yet again, Toronto barely escapes with the victory.

I didn't see that play that McCabe did too clearly near the end that Bruins fans thought should have been a penalty, but that's how close it was. Who knows if it was a missed call and the refs inadvertently saved the Leafs.

6-4 final. Boston almost tied it.

Raycroft may have a groin injury, that's why he had to leave the game.
It should have been a penalty, I'm amazed they didn't call it?

It was so clear cut to, interference should have been called.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well, I guess the Leafs finally get a call going their way. :)

Hopefully the NHL will be having a talk with the officials though, and the Leafs will be having a talk with McCabe. He could have killed them at that point had the officiating of been sharper.

As for Raycroft: It looked like it was his groin at the time he went down, but it could possibly of started earlier when Savard deked to the back-hand and scored on the breakaway... at least, I thought he got up a little slow there.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Well, I guess the Leafs finally get a call going their way. :)

Hopefully the NHL will be having a talk with the officials though, and the Leafs will be having a talk with McCabe. He could have killed them at that point had the officiating of been sharper.

As for Raycroft: It looked like it was his groin at the time he went down, but it could possibly of started earlier when Savard deked to the back-hand and scored on the breakaway... at least, I thought he got up a little slow there.
With Raycroft, I thought it was his groin to? It sure looked like it? But you know they'll come back with "LOWER BODY INJURY"!!

As far as the non call, I thought the big Z had the puck, I looked away from the screen for a sec, turned around and he was on the ice, so I rewound it, and no he didn't have it. But if he had gotten up instead of staying on the ice complaining, he may have prevented the empty net goal from happening as well. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well thank god we held on and got the win, I was getting worried there in the 3rd! And Rayzor's injury isn't too serious, Maurice said it's a mild groin pull, and Rayzor himself said nothing serious too, so good news there! :D I imagine though it'll be Aubin between the pipes on Saturday vs. Montreal. I think that Maurice said that he was planning on using him that night anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts