Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on a pair of the old Daoust skates I had back in the 80s when I was growing up. They were so comfortable and I remember being so proud of them. Forget newer and lighter! Go retro!
DAoust 501's!! I had those too! They were with goldish blades...Titanium coated...they too were supposed to hold an edge better. I loved them, however I remember the day I out grew them, they hurt like hell. There was no inbetween with them as I recall. Great skate though..

RB

·
Registered
169 Posts
DAoust 501's!! I had those too! They were with goldish blades...Titanium coated...they too were supposed to hold an edge better. I loved them, however I remember the day I out grew them, they hurt like hell. There was no inbetween with them as I recall. Great skate though..

RB
The 501s! Those were the skates! They were so comfortable. If only I was still a size three...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Recieved my 10-90s and Air90s today. Now I just have to get the blades profiled and test them out. Man I forgot how stiff new skates are. I haven't broken a skate in in like 10 years or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
micron 10-90 skates

Both the 10-90's and early air 90's (later air 90's are only good/ average)were very good to excellent but would have to give the nod to the 10-90s if they are the pro version with the red stripe. The only comparible skate to the 10-90 Pro was the Daoust 501. Non-pro version 10-90's are average/good. Red stripe versions have the pro quarter, ankle and tongue upgrade. Note that not many came with the V2 blades which were another upgrade/option. If you buy a pair with V2's you may want to locate a back-up set of blades as the V2's have been known to occasionally break if hit with a strong slapshot. Could get 10-90's with tuuk+ and stainless blades or ICM with carbon steel. These skates also came in B, C, D AND E widths. Unless you have a narrow foot/ankle I would stay clear of the B, C widths. The pro 10-90s are fantastic especially if you play defense as the boot is designed to have you lean forward which helps a ton when skating backwards. These are heavier than some of the newer ultra light skates but you get used to the few extra ounces quickly. Very comfortable skate that has great support but enough flex to allow for true power skating. Highly recommend you try the V2 blades if you can find them. They are as good as the new heated blades without the batteries.
My two cents worth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1090's anyone?

Hey,

I purchased the micron mega 1090's (MC's I believe- they have the red stripe on the outside) and I am very pleased. The comfort of these skates is top notch and I really feel good in them. I have a pair of 12 C width whichs fits my right foot perfect. The problem is my left foot is more like a 10.5 B or close to that so if anyone has that size or close to it please let me know!

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Hey,

I purchased the micron mega 1090's (MC's I believe- they have the red stripe on the outside) and I am very pleased. The comfort of these skates is top notch and I really feel good in them. I have a pair of 12 C width whichs fits my right foot perfect. The problem is my left foot is more like a 10.5 B or close to that so if anyone has that size or close to it please let me know!

thanks
You have one foot that's a 12 an the other is a 10.5? Man that must be tough no matter what your buying....

RB

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Air 90's presently offered by the Bauer line of skates are pretty well bottom shelf. I would not expect too much in the way of protection from these babies. They do have their place, however they are more suited for the weekend 'pick-up' player or the complete novice who hasn't yet committed to seriously playing the game.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I skated on 10-90's for many years. I have been playing for 28 years straight, and have worn a lot of skates. The 10-90's are by far one of the best skates ever. I still have them, but don't wear them anymore because they are too small for me now. I bought them 1/2 size small and skated barefoot in them. Mine also had the V2 blade. The V2 blade was very tricky the first time I tried them --I transitioned backwards and lost it because the turn was so quick. The V2 blades increased maneuverability in a truly remarkable manner, they were just incredible. The problem with sharpening is that the front 1/3 of the blade wore assymetrically with the rear 2/3 over a lot of sharpenings —there is a lot of front blade left, but less of the back part.

All in all, I put them second on my list of favorite skates, second to the skates I currently wear as much as possible, a pair of 1980 CCM Super Tacks (black toungue) with Tuuk 2000 black blades. Third are Daoust 301's with a Perfecta blade. Those I use on our backyard rink. And I can't stand modern skates. Just don't like any that I have worn.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Micron Mega air 90s

I have just found a pair of these in my loft,had them for years and now just found them clearing out. size 10.5uk...must admit was my first pair of ice skates and found them to be really comfortable. Now selling them on ebay.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts