Hockey Fan Forums banner

Mark Messier or Scott Stevens

• Total voters
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
How can you consider someone one of the great players of all time when his most notable accomplishment was elbowing guys in the head?

I can't recall one big goal that Scott Stevens ever scored in his career.

He was a defensive player on a defensive team that was given credit by default.
Stevens recieved I think maybe 7 elbowing penalties in his entire career, and I do believe that elbowing calls were the same back then as they are now, so dont think of bringing up an argument about the severity of penalty calls now. Stevens always hit cleanly, and you;re just a very bitter Rangers fan who doesnt appreciate an incredible captain and player when he sees one, and is just blinded by bias.

·
Registered
987 Posts
halifas said:
Stevens recieved I think maybe 7 elbowing penalties in his entire career, and I do believe that elbowing calls were the same back then as they are now, so dont think of bringing up an argument about the severity of penalty calls now. Stevens always hit cleanly, and you;re just a very bitter Rangers fan who doesnt appreciate an incredible captain and player when he sees one, and is just blinded by bias.

No, you're a bitter shmevil fan that can't accept the fact that no one gives a rat's ass about your team. You barely had 20,000 people at your Cup 'parade' around your puny parking lot while the Rangers had 1.5 million people on Broadway.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
No, you're a bitter shmevil fan that can't accept the fact that no one gives a rat's ass about your team. You barely had 20,000 people at your Cup 'parade' around your puny parking lot while the Rangers had 1.5 million people on Broadway.
Wow, this is such a dumb post. Do you really think "Shmevils" fans are truly hurt by the lack of fans jokes? Its sad how ridiculously biased you are.

And for the record, the Flyers parade would pwn the shit out of yours. I dont know the numbers off hand, but Im pretty sure we had more fans than 1.5 mil when we won the cup in the 70s. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
98 Posts
We won 4 in a row. That beats out everyone!!!! :cheeky4:

You know what else? I don't think we'll win another one until next damn century the way it's been since 83' :( :dunno:

lol :p ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
Wow, this is such a dumb post. Do you really think "Shmevils" fans are truly hurt by the lack of fans jokes? Its sad how ridiculously biased you are.

And for the record, the Flyers parade would pwn the shit out of yours. I dont know the numbers off hand, but Im pretty sure we had more fans than 1.5 mil when we won the cup in the 70s.

How cute, a couple of American cities squabbling to determine who has the better "hockey" town hehe ;)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
Wow, the "Rangers have more fans than the Devils" argument. I guess you lack the creativity or intelligence to come up with anything original. But then considering the utter lameness and idiocy of the whole "shmevils" thing, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.:rolleyes:

And please quit posting in blue, it's annoying and pointless.

As for the actual topic, I'd take Stevens in a heartbeat over Messier. Am I biased? Absolutely. Do I care? Not one damn bit.:D

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
hockeyboy14 said:
Okay, so is Stevens better than Hortan?
I have yet to explore beyond top 10. Let me research a bit.
Guys like Coffey, Langway, Pilote, Leetch, Lapointe, and yes, Horton, come to mind.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
#1, Stop posting in blue. Period. Its against the rules and its annoying as hell. + A super mod just told you to stop.

#2 Your dumb argument is old and tired. You lost the elbowing argument, so you artfully dodged into an even dumber topic. Just shut up and stop posting until you grow up or go find another board.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Æn7ropy said:
How cute, a couple of American cities squabbling to determine who has the better "hockey" town hehe ;)
Yeah, like Philly is really a hockey town. Theyre in America, for God's sake.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
J0e Th0rnton said:
You lost the elbowing argument, so you artfully dodged into an even dumber topic.
how has no one mentioned that it's messier who's known for throwing the elbows around, not stevens?

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Mar 08
4,382 Posts
pavelbure said:
how has no one mentioned that it's messier who's known for throwing the elbows around, not stevens?
My thoughts exactly.
Messier wasn't roses either.
The thing is, people remember him for his stats and leadership and bypass the fact that he's crunched people from behind and elbowed too.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
pavelbure said:
Messier was more known for throwing butt ends in your face of you got near him(Or spearing, intentionally high sticking, etc). Players like his were never victims of clutch and grab:) You paid for it with your teeth. People often ignore this quality about Messier because he was a ferocious competitor and leader.
In 84 alone, he was suspended a few times(Maybe 85. Im talking like 6 to 10 game suspensions each). He overhand axe chopped and broke his stick over a players head, giving him a concussion. He also pulled a "Bertuzzi on Moore hit" to a guy, shattering his cheekbone. I can remember a few other years where he intentionally sticked 4 of a guys teeth out, speared a guy so bad he was lying on the ice like he was shot(several times), etc.....He also got away with more butt ends than any other player I have seen.
People were terrified of him on the ice.

But yeah, Messier was a hella dirty player in his youth. Still an awesome player though.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts