Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chuck Gormley | NHL.com correspondent
Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 PM EST

When Philadelphia Flyers captain Peter Forsberg and GM Paul Holmgren emerged from a meeting at the Flyers Skate Zone in suburban Voorhees, N.J., Monday, neither could say with certainty that Forsberg will be on the Flyers' roster after the Feb. 27 trade deadline.

"Whether he's staying here or wants to go somewhere else is all a moot point," Holmgren said, "because he doesn't feel like he's a good player right now and he wants to get back to being a good player before we talk about anything else."

Despite rampant rumors that the Flyers have begun considering trade offers for Forsberg, Holmgren and Forsberg said Monday's meeting centered on Forsberg's troublesome right foot and did not stray from that topic.

"We didn't talk about trading or signing a new deal or whatever," Forsberg said. "(My foot) is all we talked about and how long it's going to take."

Holmgren told reporters Monday that he plans on meeting again with Forsberg within the next few weeks and that by then he'll need to know from Forsberg whether he wishes to be traded. If Forsberg drops his no-trade clause the Flyers would likely deal him to another NHL team and perhaps discuss the possibility of re-signing him as a free agent on July 1.

"If he has a chance at some point, if he is feeling better, to go to a team and maybe help a team win, he may want to do that," Holmgren said. "But right now there is no sense in talking about that."

Holmgren said he has received enough calls from NHL teams to swing a deal for Forsberg rather quickly. But he got the sense after Monday's meeting that if Forsberg made progress with his foot in the next few weeks, he would want to remain a Flyer beyond this season. Forsberg is in the final year of a two-year, $11.5 million contract and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"Even though we are where we are right now (last in the NHL with a 12-32-5 record), he still wants to battle through these issues and help us win hockey games," Holmgren said. "I get a sense he wants to stay here. He'll flat-out tell you he wants to win and he knows that's not going to happen here this year, but the strongest sense I get is that he wants to make a statement to our organization and to our fans that he's not bailing out."

Forsberg said he's made progress with the modifications he has made to his skate and that his intention is to remain in Philadelphia.

"My whole goal was to get the foot fixed and sign for however many years," he said. "Right now, we'll see what happens. Right now, I'll do everything I can to help the Flyers."

With eight goals and 21 assists in 33 games. Forsberg is having the worst statistical season of his 11-year NHL career. He enters tonight's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning leading all Flyers forwards with 46 giveaways, compared to just 11 takeaways.

Forsberg said his frustration with his play has boiled over on the ice, where he has taken seven penalties in the last six games. He was benched briefly by coach John Stevens late in the second period of Sunday's 2-1 win in Atlanta after taking a pair of undisciplined penalties.

"Lately, you can see I'm frustrated," Forsberg said. "I'm yelling at the refs. … I know I'm brutal on the ice. I know I can do so much more, but I can't perform at the level I've always performed at."

Forsberg is not a fast skater and relies on sharp cuts in tight areas to maneuver past defenders. But with his right heel sliding inside his skate, Forsberg's inability to keep his balance has resulted in him getting knocked off the puck.

"There's nothing that compares to this," said Forsberg, who missed the entire 2001-02 season when he had his spleen removed. "It's the hardest part of my hockey career by far."

Forsberg, 33, was asked if he is getting close to the point of calling it a career.

FULL STORY

1 - 1 of 1 Posts