Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to recent news McCabe is willing to waive his no trade clause after Toronto pays him his 2million dollar signing bonus But news doesn't say who we are getting for him who do you think Toronto will get??

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Rumours swirling that it's Mccabe and Ponikarovsky in exchange for Van Ryn and Booth. Cliff is trying to make it a bigger deal possibly involving Bouwmeester. Eklund thinks Cliff is trying to get a third team into the action to possibly make his "Gilmour" type stamp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rumours swirling that it's Mccabe and Ponikarovsky in exchange for Van Ryn and Booth. Cliff is trying to make it a bigger deal possibly involving Bouwmeester. Eklund thinks Cliff is trying to get a third team into the action to possibly make his "Gilmour" type stamp.
Why would Florida give Booth for Poni?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Interesting. This rumour actually seems plausible.

I wouldn't mind Van Ryan and Booth for McCabe and Poni just to get rid of McCabe and make him some other team's problem.

That, and I didn't think Van Ryan was a bad defenceman in his time with Florida.

Not great, but he's decent.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts

I wouldn't mind Van Ryan and Booth for McCabe and Poni just to get rid of McCabe and make him some other team's problem.

That, and I didn't think Van Ryan was a bad defenceman in his time with Florida.

Very comparable to McCabe actually. Potentially very good offensively with a big shot. Mediocre defensively the best of times, and is prone to injuries. McCabe is generally better in all areas probably, but Van Ryn isn't much of a downgrade. I think Booth is going to be dynomite, 23 goals in his rookie year looks good to me. Big strong kid. If this actually turned out to be the deal I'd certainly be happy about it.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts

And THAT is why it would be a good deal for the Leafs. Way too much money for what they're getting from McCabe.

Daryl​

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts

And THAT is why it would be a good deal for the Leafs. Way too much money for what they're getting from McCabe.

Daryl​
Leafs without McCabe past 3 seasons:

2007-08: 11-14-3 (McCabe missed 28 games)
2006-07: McCabe played all 82 games
2005-06: 1-7-1 (McCabe missed 9 games)

Combined 12-21-4. Interesting if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Leafs without McCabe past 3 seasons:

2007-08: 11-14-3 (McCabe missed 28 games)
2006-07: McCabe played all 82 games
2005-06: 1-7-1 (McCabe missed 9 games)

Combined 12-21-4. Interesting if you ask me.
I get your meaning, but these sorts of things always beg questions:

-Who else was out of the lineup?
-Were those players out of the lineup key members?
-What quality of team were they playing?
etc...

For example, last year, the Leafs were 7-3 without Sundin in the lineup, which is a much higher win percentage than they had with him in it. There also (probably) isn't a person alive that thinks the Leafs were better when Mats was out.

We do know this: at even-strength, the Leafs were statistically better when McCabe was on the bench. You hope for more from your $7M players.

Daryl​

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts

I get your meaning, but these sorts of things always beg questions:

etc...

For example, last year, the Leafs were 7-3 without Sundin in the lineup, which is a much higher win percentage than they had with him in it. There also (probably) isn't a person alive that thinks the Leafs were better when Mats was out.

We do know this: at even-strength, the Leafs were statistically better when McCabe was on the bench. You hope for more from your $7M players.

Daryl​
Agreed. I just thought that was a funny stat.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I get your meaning, but these sorts of things always beg questions:​

etc...​

For example, last year, the Leafs were 7-3 without Sundin in the lineup, which is a much higher win percentage than they had with him in it. There also (probably) isn't a person alive that thinks the Leafs were better when Mats was out.​

Daryl​
Now now Daryl, you're a numbers guy. You should know that Mccabe's caphit is 5.75 million. That isn't such a terrible deal considering other contracts being thrown around. Also, Caber isn't that big of a liability on the defensive end. Is he a stalwart? No.. he does make some mistakes. His are just magnified to the nth degree.

That said, having McCabe on this team is a little redundant. Kubina can do the same job, and be more responsible on the defensive end, and be slightly cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Now now Daryl, you're a numbers guy. You should know that Mccabe's caphit is 5.75 million. That isn't such a terrible deal considering other contracts being thrown around. Also, Caber isn't that big of a liability on the defensive end. Is he a stalwart? No.. he does make some mistakes. His are just magnified to the nth degree.

That said, having McCabe on this team is a little redundant. Kubina can do the same job, and be more responsible on the defensive end, and be slightly cheaper.
No, his cap hit was $7.15M last year:
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=TOR&season=0809

Now, remember that I never said McCabe was awful. What I'm saying is that when you have a guy with an elite level contract, you'd really to get an elite player along with it.

Daryl​

·
Registered
3,479 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Good on the Leafs. Losing McCabe and his salary will only move this team forward in the long run.

RB
I agree with you on this. Having Mccabe on this Maple Leaf squad which obviously has no chance of winning the Stanley Cup is redundant. Getting assets for him while we still can is a good move.

That said, we should get fair market value for him. I don't think we should just give him away for the sake of it. I've heard rumors as bad as Fredrick Meyers and a 4th round pick for him. That is just ludicrous. If the market is that slow, then we should just wait until the deadline to trade which is when everybody overpays. Maybe that'll help recoup some of the deficit from the numerous D-day blunders previous GM's have made.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts