Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September 30, 2007 -- BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The NHL's regular season began in England yesterday, the Devils completed their preseason last night, and yet, there's still a prize free-agent defenseman out there New Jersey could afford, use, and reportedly has discussed.
Danny Markov was one of the top three unrestricted defensemen July 1, and he's still looking for a contract with a contender. Markov and Colin White are different sorts of defensemen, but the Devils are likely to be without White (eye) for some time, and even when he returns, any team would be improved by a mobile all-around backliner of Markov's quality.
The Devils figure to have a cap liability of some $48.7 million toward the limit of $50.3 million when their season opens Thursday in Tampa, Fla., and could use their old savior, the Long-Term Injury exemption, to exceed the limit, with Jamie Langenbrunner's $2.8 million, White's $3 million and Cam Janssen's 600G all likely listable.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
If the Devils do sign Markov, it could mean bad things for White. I know I've heard rumors at some other sites about his eye injury possibly being career threatening. I really hope they're just rumors.:(

I think Markov would be a good addition, depending on what he's willing to sign for...

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
MadDevil said:
If the Devils do sign Markov, it could mean bad things for White. I know I've heard rumors at some other sites about his eye injury possibly being career threatening. I really hope they're just rumors.:(

I think Markov would be a good addition, depending on what he's willing to sign for...
Markov brought more to the Wings than I ever expected to, and I would think he would surprise people in New Jersey. I'm surprised he hasn't been signed by anyone yet, and attribute it to the fact that he's asking too much. He better hurry up and start thinking about taking a bit of a pay cut, or he'll be spending the year out of work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You must be kidding me, this guy was a +25 last season!
The Devils need a real defensive defensemen with some speed, or a true offensive defensemen to run the point.
Markov is neither of these two types, at best he's a 5th defensemen.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
lingus said:
The Devils need a real defensive defensemen with some speed, or a true offensive defensemen to run the point.
What? Since when is being a +25 a bad thing? Markov IS a defensive defensemen... I have no idea how someone can be so misinformed. He was Detroit's #2, so I'd say he's at minimum a #4.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
wingsnut19 said:
What? Since when is being a +25 a bad thing? Markov IS a defensive defensemen... I have no idea how someone can be so misinformed. He was Detroit's #2, so I'd see he's at minimum a #4.
Lingus/ungar is misinformed about a great many things, so you can pretty much ignore most of what he says.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MadDevil said:
Lingus/ungar is misinformed about a great many things, so you can pretty much ignore most of what he says.
lol i have nothing worth while to say here just wanted to say something.

·
Registered
765 Posts
lingus said:
You have absolutley no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Opinon on this if Colin is gonna be out for a while if we can sign this guy at 2 mil maybe 2.5 i say do it

·
Registered
31 Posts
What? Since when is being a +25 a bad thing? Markov IS a defensive defensemen... I have no idea how someone can be so misinformed. He was Detroit's #2, so I'd say he's at minimum a #4.
Detroit was a team that had no trouble scoring goals last season. Almost anyone could have achieved a +25 on that team(even you). However, if Markov were on the Devils last year he would have been a minus rating.

I don't think Markov would be a number 5 or 6 defensemen here because we no longer have an elite corps of blueliners.
If we still had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, and Rafalski, where would Markov be on the depth chart?

·
Registered
765 Posts
lingus said:
Detroit was a team that had no trouble scoring goals last season. Almost anyone could have achieved a +25 on that team(even you). However, if Markov were on the Devils last year he would have been a minus rating.

I don't think Markov would be a number 5 or 6 defensemen here because we no longer have an elite corps of blueliners.
If we still had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, and Rafalski, where would Markov be on the depth chart?

What the ****? So how does Markov stand up to the all-time best of NJ's defensive core? Not very well obviously. Markov isnt stepping in to compete with guys who arent even on your team anymore, so compare him to your current D roster.

You're delusional.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So how does Markov stand up to the all-time best of NJ's defensive core? Not very well obviously.
Thank-you for reiterating and agreeing with my point. I'm glad you've come to your senses.
As I said, Markov would be a step in the wrong direction, the Devils need to acquire a better defense, not someone as mediocre as Markov.

·
Registered
765 Posts
lingus said:
Thank-you for reiterating and agreeing with my point. I'm glad you've come to your senses.
As I said, Markov would be a step in the wrong direction, the Devils need to acquire a better defense, not someone as mediocre as Markov.

Have you even watched hockey since Stevens, Niedermayer, ect left? If you did, you'd know Markov isnt a mediocre defenseman.

Who are you planning on getting to play for you on D? Are you going to trade away a top player or prospect to get them?

Bottom line is, Markov is a top 4 defenseman on pretty much every team in the league, if you watched him, you'd know that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who are you planning on getting to play for you on D? Are you going to trade away a top player or prospect to get them?
No, but there is little doubt in my mind that Lamoriello is planning to do just that. However, I'm afraid he might pick-up Markov in the meantime if White's career is over.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regardless if White's Carrer is over or not Markov is a step up regardless...Colin has become a #5 D-man at best sense Stevens left...once Stevens left Colins progress came to a serious halt...also i'd trust markov to play in this divison more than i would trust oduya,mattau etc etc

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
lingus said:
Markov will leave Brodeur hanging out to dry, just like all the rest of them.
You have no clue what you're talking about. I'll spell it out for you: Markov is good defensively. OK? Do you get it yet?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts