Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
6/28/2006 7:58:25 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - If he can help keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, Dan Marino said he's ready to help.

Marino, the former Miami Dolphins star and Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback, issued a statement Tuesday saying he's willing to help New York financier Andrew Murstein's effort to buy the team.

Murstein, who has attempted several times previously to buy pro sports teams, said Tuesday that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Marino had joined his effort. Both Cuban and Marino grew up in Pittsburgh.

Murstein has pledged not to move the Penguins if he succeeds in buying them from the group headed by Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux. The team's current arena lease expires in 2007, and the Penguins do not yet have a deal in place for a new arena. Their lease allows them to begin this weekend to pursue other options - including relocating the team.

In a statement issued by the Dolphins, Marino said Wednesday:

''Growing up in Pittsburgh, I've always been a fan of the Penguins, dating back to the days when the team colours where blue and white. I know what the Penguins mean to the city and, as a native, I want to do everything I can to help keep them here.

''I was contacted by Andy Murstein, whose priority is to keep the team in Pittsburgh, and I told him I would be happy to help him in any way I could.''

Marino apparently did not know Murstein until being approached by him about joining the group last week.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Report: Cuban, Marino bid for Pens rejected

TSN.ca Staff
7/22/2006 9:51:07 PM

It appears Mark Cuban and Dan Marino will not be the saviors of hockey in Pittsburgh.

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, the group headed up by New York City financier Andrew Murstein had their bid of more than $170 million US rejected by the Penguins.

"We increased our offer significantly, and it was not accepted," said Murstein, whose group has made it known they would like to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Cuban and Marino are both Pittsburgh-area natives.

Hartford businessman Sam Fingold appears to be the frontrunner with a bid in the neighbourhood of $175 million US. Fingold has discussed the possibility of moving the team to Kansas City.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Fingold could sign a letter of intent within days to negotiate a deal. But Massachusetts developer Larry Gottesdiener, who has talked about moving the team to Hartford, is still in the picture as well.

A group that considered moving the team to Hamilton, Ontario appears to have dropped out of the running.

The Penguins ownership group, including former team captain Mario Lemieux, would like to finalize the sale of the team before the start of the 2006-07 campaign.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
There really is nothing wrong with the igloo in pittsburgh. the thing is that they want more private boxes.
That's where the money is right!! In today's world, money is the be all, and end all, of everything on earth!!!!!!

·
Banned
961 Posts
Kansas City

panoo2004 said:
TSN.ca Staff
7/22/2006 9:51:07 PM

It appears Mark Cuban and Dan Marino will not be the saviors of hockey in Pittsburgh.

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, the group headed up by New York City financier Andrew Murstein had their bid of more than $170 million US rejected by the Penguins.

"We increased our offer significantly, and it was not accepted," said Murstein, whose group has made it known they would like to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Cuban and Marino are both Pittsburgh-area natives.

Hartford businessman Sam Fingold appears to be the frontrunner with a bid in the neighbourhood of $175 million US. Fingold has discussed the possibility of moving the team to Kansas City.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Fingold could sign a letter of intent within days to negotiate a deal. But Massachusetts developer Larry Gottesdiener, who has talked about moving the team to Hartford, is still in the picture as well.

A group that considered moving the team to Hamilton, Ontario appears to have dropped out of the running.

The Penguins ownership group, including former team captain Mario Lemieux, would like to finalize the sale of the team before the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
It would be nice to see the kansas city scouts back in the NHL, but i dont want to see pittsburgh move. keep them in pittsburgh. move nashville,columbus,carolina. florida or even tampa to kansas city.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts