Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly where the restricted free agent has gone is anyone's guess, but it's not the state of Minnesota.

Gaborik's agent David Schatia of Montreal issued a statement from Gaborik today, expressing dismay his negotiations with the Wild have failed to result in an agreement.

''I indicated a desire to be flexible and negotiate a fair conclusion to the situation,'' Gaborik said in a statement. ''I presented the Wild management with different options to complete a contract fair to both sides.''

''Unfortunately, the Wild management have been and remain unwilling to negotiate. A few days ago, I offered to sign a contract for the same gross pay I earned in each of the last two seasons. My offer to the Wild was rejected...based on the actions of the Wild management, I have decided to leave Minnesota.''

Speculation is that Gaborik will remain in North American for a brief period of time in the hopes of getting a deal done with the Wild, but the next step, obviously, is for him to announce he's returning home to Slovakia.

Gaborik wants to be paid an average of about $4.35 million per year on a new contract. The Wild have been offering a deal worth about $3.16 million per year and it appears the two sides are entrenched.
To be honest i didn't think Gabby would leave...i thought he would have signed in a week or so...this is a :shock: (like the use of a smiley there eh?) to me...Without him i can't see minny being a big threat..

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
TimmyTabasco said:
The gap doesn't seem too large.

Look for what happened with Havlat to happen here. He said the same thing, that he was heading off home..then suddenly the deal became done.

Similar this?
I believe that Wild's management is really sticking to its guns.

Ottawa's management had the upper hand with Havlat, the Sens are deep in talent and would suffer very little if Havlat was not playing. On the other hand, the Wild needs Gaborik's offensive talent if they hope to go anywhere. Gaborik is their top player and with him not playing, the Wild are sucking the big biscuit. Gaborik and his agent are aware that they have the upper hand in this contract negotiation and aren't going to give in like Havlat did.

Found the following at Twincities.com (Pioneer Press),
MARIAN GABORIK'S STATEMENT

Last week, I traveled to Minnesota in the hopes of completing a fair contract and to rejoin my teammates and the great fans of the Wild. I held two lengthy face-to-face meetings with Doug Risebrough and Tom Lynn.

I indicated a desire to be flexible and negotiate a fair conclusion to the situation. I presented the Wild management with different options to complete a contract fair to both sides.

Unfortunately, the Wild management have been and remain unwilling to negotiate. A few days ago, I offered to sign a contract for the same gross pay I earned in each of the last two seasons. My offer to the Wild was rejected. I am very disappointed with these developments, especially after last season's successful playoff run.

Unfortunately, based on the actions of the Wild management, I have decided to leave Minnesota.

DOUG RISEBROUGH'S STATEMENT

The Minnesota Wild foundation and success has always been about team first and not one player. Gaborik's agents have disrespected the abilities and accomplishments of his teammates and have demanded that Marian be treated differently.

The Minnesota Wild repeatedly asked Allan Walsh to negotiate all summer and until the beginning of training camp. He refused. Gaborik's camp refused to consider negotiating until four weeks after camp started.

The Minnesota Wild offered Gaborik the largest contract in history for a player his age, which would, on average, triple Gaborik's salary from last season.
To paraphrase,

Gaborik and his agent - I'm willing to compromise but the Wild are being cheap bastards. Not signing me will only hurt the fans, who I care about so much, and the other players, especially my friend, Pascal Dupoopee.

Doug Risebrough - Gaborik and his agent are worse then certain teachers' unions who wait until school starts before going on strike. Plus Marion thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Well he ain't! But what do you expect from a guy named after Mrs Cunningham on Happy Days.

Judging from these two statements, I tend to agree with Doug Risebrough. Gaborik is not all that and a bag of chips, he may be important to the team but the Wild won't be strongarmed into a contract.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Iced Tea said:
Gaborik and his agent - I'm willing to compromise but the Wild are being cheap bastards. Not signing me will only hurt the fans, who I care about so much, and the other players, especially my friend, Pascal Dupoopee.

Doug Risebrough - Gaborik and his agent are worse then certain teachers' unions who wait until school starts before going on strike. Plus Marion thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Well he ain't! But what do you expect from a guy named after Mrs Cunningham on Happy Days.

Judging from these two statements, I tend to agree with Doug Risebrough. Gaborik is not all that and a bag of chips, he may be important to the team but the Wild won't be strongarmed into a contract.
I like the way you see things, Iced! 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts