Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/22/2006 10:24:54 PM

TORONTO (CP) - John Pohl, who didn't cost the Toronto Maple Leafs as much as a bag of pucks, looks good enough to crack the lineup.

Pohl has a nose for the net, which he showed in slamming in a rebound and putting himself in position for several other scoring chances during a 5-1 pre-season win over the Montreal Canadiens on Friday night.

Darcy Tucker, Mats Sundin, Aleksander Suglobov and Alexei Ponikarovsky supplied Toronto's other goals, while Jonathan Ferland scored for Montreal.

Pohl, a six-foot, 185-pound Minnesotan, led the Leafs' American Hockey League farm team with 75 points (36-39) in only 60 games last season. He scored three times in the seven NHL games he played, and he's got an excellent chance of landing one of the roster openings created by the departures of forwards Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, and Tie Domi.

Pohl was acquired from St. Louis for future considerations 13 months ago after two seasons with the Blues' AHL farm team in Worcester, Mass. He previously played at the University of Minnesota for four years.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I'm gad John Pohl is getting a chance to stay with the team. He played very well last season in the little time he got, and it looks like he's doing so again.

Pohl has a nose for the net, which he showed in slamming in a rebound and putting himself in position for several other scoring chances during a 5-1 pre-season win over the Montreal Canadiens on Friday night.
That's for sure. He crashes in with authority, and with Roberts gone, they'll need someone other than Tucker who will play with that intensity the team was missing.

Speaking of intensity, Mats sounds like he still has the "scored 20 goals in 22 games" look to him that he had last season. That's good to know.

It wasn't all good though, Kronwall got injured. I thought for sure he'd have a spot with Carlo C. out. Hopefully it's not too serious, but when a player slides into the boards with his skates out like that, it usually is.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Nice to see the Buds get another win, JS looked pretty good. I definatly don't mind still having that guy around.

BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Speaking of intensity, Mats sounds like he still has the "scored 20 goals in 22 games" look to him that he had last season. That's good to know.
Totally, he had three points last night and seemed to do the most with his ice time, really looking to control the game when he was out there.

As far as Pohl goes. I'm hoping the connection between Maurice and the former Marlies players helps those guys to take off this year and I think Pohl is a prime candidate for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts