Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sports Network) - The Pittsburgh Penguins shoot for their third consecutive win tonight when they host the New Jersey Devils at Mellon Arena.

The Pens have defeated the Islanders and Blue Jackets during the spurt, as Evgeni Malkin continues to live up to the hype. Malkin has scored in all three games since debuting, including Saturday's 4-3 win over Columbus.

Jordan Staal had a pair of short-handed goals, one on a penalty shot, to help lift the Pens. Sergei Gonchar and Michel Ouellet each had a goal and an assist for Pittsburgh, while goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 36 shots in the contest.

As for Malkin, he became the first NHL rookie to score in his first three games since Jan Caloun in 1995-96 with the San Jose Sharks. The last NHL player to find the net in his first four games was the Rangers Steven King in December 1992.

The Pens will visit Philadelphia on Saturday.

New Jersey, meanwhile, has lost two straight games, including Saturday's 8-1 pounding at the hands of Ottawa. The Senators used a five-goal second period to anchor the triumph.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jersey may be having their problems, but they're a good team. Beating the Islanders and Jackets isn't much; those teams traditionally suck as badly as Pittsburgh. The test will be beating a good team like the Devils. If the Pens can do that, they'll suddenly become a team to watch out for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BC Sweet said:
Jersey may be having their problems, but they're a good team. Beating the Islanders and Jackets isn't much; those teams traditionally suck as badly as Pittsburgh. The test will be beating a good team like the Devils. If the Pens can do that, they'll suddenly become a team to watch out for.
NEXT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheeky4:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Did you see that goal by Malkin? Oh me!, Oh my!, Ooooh baby!

Well, ain't he something right now, eh?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Malkin and Crosby have looked unstoppable when they have played together so far. I highly doubt they will keep that line together though. If they make the playoffs, they are going to need at least 3 lines of depth players.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree for long term success u will have to break up the line but the problem is that the wings are not putting the puck in the net. Hopefully Ekman will get going after the Devils game and Armstrong has not done nothing to start the season.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
PensRule said:
I agree for long term success u will have to break up the line but the problem is that the wings are not putting the puck in the net. Hopefully Ekman will get going after the Devils game and Armstrong has not done nothing to start the season.
I know Ekman can get points (maybe 50-60) but I don't know about Colby Armstrong much.

Is he really even close to being as good as his numbers from last year indicated, or is he just riding Crosby's tail? :dunno:

I hope you can fill me in on this one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
A lot of people here in Pittsburgh(including myself) were very high on C. Armstrong but the more I watch him the more he reminds me of the scrubs they used to put at the wing when Lemieux was playing in his prime and they would pick up 25-35 goals. He is still young so the jury is still out on him but he has not cashed in on a lot of oppurtunities early. He has 0 goals in 9 games and has been playing with Crosby all year. That is unacceptable with all the scoring chances Crosby generates. Now he is on the line with Crosby and Malkin and I think I could score 20 goals with them as my linemates and I cant even skate. He is a scrappy player that will protect Crosby and Malkin and crash the net but he also has to be able to put the puck in the net.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts