Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evgeni Malkin resigned with his Russian team for 1 year, Yeah right sure 1 year that's the ticket:dunno: :( :mad:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
That's a shame. I was hopeing that he'd finally be able to break free of whatever it is that's holding him and he can play in the NHL.

Penguins fans must be heart-broken... again. I'm also disappointed at the results of these "talks" they've been having. The NHL has to find a way by this for next year so we can have some potentially good NHL players playing he NHL.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Report: Malkin to stay in Russia this year

TSN.ca Staff with AP files
8/7/2006 12:53:52 PM

Russian centre Evgeni Malkin has signed a new contract and will play in Russia for the 2006-2007 season, according to a report on the Magnitogorsk Metallurg website. However, his agents are hopeful that he will be playing in the NHL soon, as J.P. Barry has told the Associated Press that Malkin has indicated his preference is to play in the NHL this season.

The 20 year-old did have a contract with Magnitogorsk that ran through 2008, but that has reportedly been replaced by this new one-year deal, after which Malkin will become a free agent and presumably able to sign with the Penguins.

Widely regarded as the top prospect outside the NHL, Malkin was drafted second overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2004.

There has been no shortage of drama since Malkin decided to stay in Russia last season. Barry has confirmed to TSN that he and Pat Brisson have taken over the hockey management side of IMG, whom Malkin fired in June, and Malkin has left Don Meehan and returned to be represented by Barry and Brisson.

"His wish is to play in the NHL, and in Pittsburgh," Barry told the AP. "We will continue to talk to him about his future, and we will decide the best course for him at this time."

Since the Russians decided not to honour the International Ice Hockey Federation's latest transfer agreement with the National Hockey League, there have been complications for NHL teams trying to bring over their Russian prospects, none more prominent than the Penguins with Malkin.

A premier offensive talent, Malkin led Magnitogork with 47 points in 46 games last season. The 6-foot-3 pivot was expected, along with phenom Sidney Crosby, to give the Penguins an elite one-two punch down the middle.

It seems the NHL has this problem year after year, you would think that they would catch on and have something done about it??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not draft/sign russian players until a deal is reached?

I don't think they have much of a choice. It's either that, or get played like morons by a russian league that will only get more greedy(Personally, I don't blame them. They're losing phenoms to the nhl annually, and getting paid crumbs for it in return).

You just can't keep this going, though. It's ridiculous and very costly to both the nhl, and the russian super league.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now his new er old Ah what the hell his agent says that Malkin wants to play in the NHL & with the Penguins & is confident that they can get the deal done. Stay tuned! same bat time!! same bat channel!!!:D :dunno:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Gonchar says Malkin to stay in Russia

TSN.ca Staff
8/9/2006 10:23:27 AM

Pittsburgh defenseman Sergei Gonchar says Penguins fans shouldn't get too excited about seeing Evgeni Malkin in the NHL this coming season.

"He told me he's staying another year," Gonchar tells the Pittsburgh Tribune Review after speaking with the Russian junior a couple of day ago.
"He said he has a reason to stay over. I don't know the reason, but he's staying now."

That's a change from Gonchar's previous comments in which he said "one way or another" Malkin was coming over to play in the NHL this year. Gonchar had even gone as far as making arrangements for the 20 year old to stay with him and his family in Pittsburgh.

Gonchar wouldn't elaborate on Malkin's change of plans.

"It's hard for me to make any comments," said Gonchar.

The Penguins say they have still not received any official word on Malkin's situation in Russia. Earlier this week, Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk announced the youngster would be with the team through 2006-07.

Malkin's new agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson, say the Russian star wants to play in the NHL this season.

If Malkin is unable to play in Pittsburgh, general manager Ray Shero will have to find someone else to pencil in as his number two centre for next season. Among the candidates available on the free-agent market are veteran's Yanic Perreault, Trevor Linden, Jan Hrdina, Jason Allison and Greg Johnson.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is better than a movie .A poster on letsgopens.com says a Russian website has reported Makin AWOL. personal belongings are gone & so is he :thumbsup: :D :cheeky4:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
grapepul said:
This is better than a movie .A poster on letsgopens.com says a Russian website has reported Makin AWOL. personal belongings are gone & so is he :thumbsup: :D :cheeky4:
If that's true, then this could get very nasty!!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Report: Malkin leaves Russian club

TSN.ca Staff
8/12/2006 4:29:59 PM

It appears the future of Evgeni Malkin has taken another bizarre twist.

According to Reuters, the Russian news agency Itar-Tass is reporting that Malkin has left his Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk during training camp in Finland.

Malkin, who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins second overall in 2004 behind Alexander Ovechkin, reportedly disappeared, taking his belongings and passport with him. Earlier this week, the Russian star reworked his two-year contract with Metallurg Magnitogorsk and agreed to a new one-year deal.

Malkin has made no secret of his wishes to play with the Penguins in the National Hockey League. But the Russian Ice Hockey Federation has yet to sign a transfer deal with the NHL and Malkin has found himself in the middle of the impasse.

The previous transfer agreement would have seen Metallurg Magnitogorsk receive just $200,000 in exchange for Malkin.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Metallurg to seek compensation for Malkin

TSN.ca Staff
8/13/2006 11:16:24 AM

With star player Evgeni Malkin absent without leave, his Russian team will reportedly look for compensation through the courts.

According to Reuters, Russian Superleague hockey club Metallurg Magnitogorsk will go through the legal route to get compensation for the loss of Malkin.

"The players, coaching staff are very upset because for four days Malkin was training with the team and suddenly he is gone without saying a word to anyone," club head Gennady Velichkin told Reuters on Sunday.

Malkin, who was drafted second overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2004, was with the team in Finland for training camp when he disappeared with his belongings and passport on Saturday.

The 20-year-old Russian player had signed a deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk that would have kept him in Russia until April 2008. However last week, he signed a new one-year deal with the team that would allow him to become a free agent and suit up with the Penguins in 2007-08.

Velichkin accused Malkin's agents and the Penguins of stealing his star player, who has made it clear that he wants to play in the NHL.

"His wish is to play in the NHL, and in Pittsburgh," Malkin's agent J.P. Barry said. "We will continue to talk to him about his future, and we will decide the best course for him at this time."

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Just like the old days of players disappearing in the middle of the night to come to North America and play in the NHL. But now if Malkin sits out this year and doesn't play in either league then what's his status?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
That's the way to go, Evgeni! Make a run for it!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Rids said:
Just like the old days of players disappearing in the middle of the night to come to North America and play in the NHL. But now if Malkin sits out this year and doesn't play in either league then what's his status?
I was reading an article in the National post I think last week and they were talking about the whole battle between the NHL and Russia and it said that when players leave like that they are labelled as "traitors" and are basically not welcomed back(at least to play in the super league). Now he can play in the OHL but he would only make like $75,000 when if he stayed in Russia it was around $400,000(those number could be incorrect they just stick out the most from what i remember from the article).
If he wouldn't be in the NHL for some reason imagine seeing him in the OHL and all the attentance there would be for whatever team he would play on. The new poster boy for the OHL lol
Does anyone know if he still can't speak english? or does he have the basic's down?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Malkin's whereabouts still unknown

Associated Press
8/14/2006 5:30:09 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Penguins aren't saying where Russian star Evgeni Malkin is, or when they expect to see him. What they do know is he isn't in Russia and, as far as they are concerned, that's very good news.

The Malkin mystery continued Monday as the 20-year-old star remained out of sight after bolting from his Russian Super League team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, on Saturday after it arrived for training camp in Helsinki, Finland.

Malkin left with his belongings and passport and, possibly, a Canadian visa. Malkin's former Russian agent, Sergei Isakov, told the Soviet Sport newspaper Malkin had the visa before leaving for Finland. Malkin's North American agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson, would not confirm that or say where Malkin is, though they believe he is out of harm's way.

''I can tell you I think he is safe, but I cannot comment on anything else,'' said Brisson.

Penguins vice-president Tom McMillan said the team had no comment on any issue regarding Malkin, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2004 draft and the player widely considered the best in the world not currently playing in the NHL.

That could change by early next month, when Malkin - now that he is out of Russia - is expected to sign with the Penguins, if he hasn't already done so, and report to their rookie camp.

Malkin, along with 19-year-old star Sidney Crosby, would immediately give the Penguins one of the best 1-2 centre combinations in the NHL and would likely hasten their rebuilding effort following four consecutive last-place finishes.

Only last week, Malkin renegotiated his contract with Mettalurg to trim it to a one-year deal, covering this season, from the two seasons remaining on his former contract. However, Russian law apparently allows any employee to leave a job, even while under contract, by giving two weeks' notice.

Malkin stayed in Russia last season after the country's hockey federation refused to sign a transfer agreement allowing its players to leave for the NHL in return for a $200,000 US payment. The Mettalurg team said Malkin's rights were worth far more than that, and it wanted a settlement in the millions of dollars.

Mettalurg, for whom Malkin's father, Vladimir, once played, immediately threatened to sue the Penguins after Malkin abandoned them. However, former Russian stars Alexander Ovechkin (Washington Capitals) and Nikolai Zherdev (Columbus Blue Jackets) left their teams in recent seasons for the NHL, and their Russian teams were unable to successfully sue for compensation.

''We all are really shocked by his departure and we will take legal actions against the NHL club Penguins from Pittsburgh,'' Metallurg general director Gennady Velichkin told Itar-Tass news agency. ''Americans like to speak about democracy and teach the whole world how to live but engage in sport terrorism and simply steal people.''

In January, a U.S. District Court judge threw out a case against the Capitals brought by his former club, Moscow Dynamo.

Another issue is whether Malkin's contract contained a clause that allowed him to leave for the NHL. He said in interviews last spring his deal had such a provision.

Malkin's departure hardly was a surprise, new contract or not. He has given numerous interviews saying he wanted to play in the NHL, and recently said he was ''95 per cent sure'' he would play in North America this season.

Malkin's parents were quoted by the Russian newspaper Pravda as saying they hadn't talked to their son and did not know where he was.

''My son simply snapped, his nerves did not hold on,'' Vladimir Malkin said in the interview. ''In the last moment, they persuaded him to stay in Magnitka, though his mind was already in the NHL. I understand him, but I don't support him. It was a childish act. Before I give my final assessment, I need to talk to him personally.''

Natalia Malkin, Evgeni's mother, told the newspaper she and her husband tried to call their son but his phone was turned off. She also said, ''The management of Mettalurg played on his patriotic feelings. He was not able to refuse. Though, afterward, he told me, `Mom, they (the Penguins) have already been waiting for me and I promised.' He left for camp in Finland very disgruntled.''

Another question is whether the Penguins may have secretly signed Malkin - his salary of slightly less than $1 million is already established by the NHL labour agreement - before he agreed to the reworked contract with his Russian team.

Malkin switched agents in June, from Barry and Brisson to Don Meehan, but went back with Barry and Brisson within the last 10 days. There wasn't, or isn't, much room for negotiations by any agent since Malkin's salary is already established, other than performance bonuses any deal is bound to contain.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Hmm... you know, the 'suitcase in the back luggage' trick usually works on TV. Maybe he could ask Gonchar for a favour. :dunno:

;)

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Hmm... you know, the 'suitcase in the back luggage' trick usually works on TV. Maybe he could ask Gonchar for a favour. :dunno:

;)
Well, he can't go in the carry-on luggage anymore!! :laugh:

I really don't know how he can get from Russia to the States undetected??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts