Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/28/2006 5:36:18 PM

(CP) - Ron MacLean has spent years acting as a referee for Don Cherry on Coach's Corner.

The longtime Hockey Night in Canada host will turn in his microphone for a stripped shirt and a whistle Friday night when he referees the second period of the NHL exhibition game between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins at Melon Arena.

MacLean will be paired with Stephen Walkom, a former referee and now the the NHL's senior vice-president and director of officiating.

"I've been working on my backward skating," MacLean, a Level 5 referee with the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association, said during a conference call Thursday.

"With a solo referee system, the one I worked in for 23 years, you skated pretty well forward for the whole time. In the two-man system, a lot of it is backward skating.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179168&hubname=nhl

·
Banned
44 Posts
Hes okay, a bit shy and sometimes not knowing, I think Don Cherry is way better and would have no problem since hes had the experience of being a coach especially on such a dominant team.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I would like to see that game. But I'm not sure if the players will take him seriously and he doesn't seem like a real aggressive guy. Not saying you have to be a real aggressive guy to be a ref but you can't be soft either.
But I agree with MMA freak Don Cherry is way better.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I don't know... would Cherry even use his whistle? :laugh:

Anyway, when is this game going to be played?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I don't know... would Cherry even use his whistle? :laugh:

Anyway, when is this game going to be played?
The game is tonight, Friday, September 29, 2006.

The longtime Hockey Night in Canada host will turn in his microphone for a stripped shirt and a whistle Friday night when he referees the second period of the NHL exhibition game between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins at Melon Arena.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=179334&hubName=nhl

Good Call: MacLean refs preseason period

Associated Press

9/29/2006 11:43:26 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Ron MacLean got a different view Friday night of the NHL officiating standard he's so loudly criticized.

MacLean, host of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, served as a referee for the final two periods and overtime of the Buffalo Sabres' 4-3 pre-season win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.

By the end of the night, MacLean, a certified referee in the Canadian Hockey Association, got into the spirit of the league standard by calling a tripping penalty on Pittsburgh veteran John LeClair with one minute to play in regulation and the game tied.

"I was a little numb on that call, not that it had any bearing on the game, but that was the call that was most foreign to me because of my instincts," MacLean said. "But I was thinking about what we're trying to do with stick fouls".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts