Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Obviously I have no idea how bad Newark is and if the building of the new arena will have an upturn in fans but if it is a major city in New Jersey im pretty sure it will only beneift the devils, and the nets.
The nets are moving to brooklyn in NYC.

As for Newark it can be compared to areas of Detroit or parts of compton L.A in terms of homocides. You could also look back to the late 70's early 80's time of NYC as an example also.

Its a great looking arena but the newark area is real shaddy for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The nets are moving to brooklyn in NYC.

As for Newark it can be compared to areas of Detroit or parts of compton L.A in terms of homocides. You could also look back to the late 70's early 80's time of NYC as an example also.

Its a great looking arena but the newark area is real shaddy for it.
ah my bad, I thought the Nets were going to play there. Lets hope fans are safe in Newark then hey?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Devils fans will be. Flyers fans, well thats another story.
I could go to Newark, moon everyone there while screaming "Shaq is queer" at the top of my lungs, and they would be so intimidated by the fact that Im a Flyers fan that they wouldn't lay a hand on me.

·
Registered
737 Posts
not to sound racist here but i think the area is in for a culture shock when thousands of white people pour out of the busses and trains on opening night.

·
Registered
987 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Continental Arena. It's relatively new, clean and the views are pretty good.

Parking isn't always great, having to walk over that bridge, but that's not unique. And Giant's Stadium (next door) doesn't seem to have any problem drawing 76,000 every week.

Their problem is the same as the islanders. They have no fans. 90% of NYC area hockey fans are Ranger fans.

When the shmevils had a Stanley Cup celebration they barely had enough people for a sellout. The Ranger parade up Broadway drew 1.5 million people - 60 times more people than the shmevils.

·
Registered
737 Posts
of course there are gonna be more ranger fans marty even said in his book all his kids hockey coaches are ranger fans and wouldnt be suprized if they secretly root for the rangers LOL. The DEVils are never gonna be out of the NYC shadow thats something us fans have accepted but you guys love to show down our Throats bad enough vanderbeek gives u guys money every yr in turn u signed gomer with (lol). The Rangers are always gonna have the bigger fan base. How about talking about the fans the devils do have...the true devil fans are as true and loyal as the biggest ranger fan..and well there arnt as many of us...and that makes us unique

·
Registered
987 Posts
The reason this subject comes up is because you need a certain amount of fans to support a team. If the devils were a last place team for the past 10 years they'd be gone by now. Teams have ups and downs and when the day comes that the devils aren't competitive you will be lucky if they don't leave or fold. If they can't draw when they're winning when will they? This past playoffs (and last year too) I was able to get tickets for the final home playoff game on gameday to root against the shmevils and watch them get eliminated.

The NYC area could probably support 2 teams pretty well. The problem is that neither the islanders or devils could be that second team because they represent a specific segment of the local geography. Long islanders aren't going to root for a NJ team and vice versa. With the Yankees/Mets and Giants/Jets you don't have the problem of a team painting itself into a geographic corner.

·
Registered
737 Posts
14,200 average isnt really that bad being in the meadowlands where the only way you are getting there is by car..now i know this isnt the reason but its easy to get to the garden from almost anywhere in the tri-state..this should help the devils with penn station being right there..as of last week..i might be off a few numbers here 12,000 season tickets have been sold surpassing last seasons number of 8,000 something..that right there is signs of a big improvement..a 1st class arena with first class attractions and a winning team..conteintal only had 1 of those...i wouldnt be the suprized if the average attendence jumps to 16k

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
14,200 average isnt really that bad being in the meadowlands where the only way you are getting there is by car..now i know this isnt the reason but its easy to get to the garden from almost anywhere in the tri-state..this should help the devils with penn station being right there..as of last week..i might be off a few numbers here 12,000 season tickets have been sold surpassing last seasons number of 8,000 something..that right there is signs of a big improvement..a 1st class arena with first class attractions and a winning team..conteintal only had 1 of those...i wouldnt be the suprized if the average attendence jumps to 16k
I Think the improvement in season ticket sales is based on the fact people figure it will be a nice new place to hide out in to keep away from all the guns and violence on the newark streets and at the same time guzzle a beer and eat a hot dog. o ya and even see a game of hockey. ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
reported in the jersey journal last week 14,467 season tickets have been sold for the 07-08 season and the 10,25 and 40 dollar sections are completely sold out...granted alot of companies probably bought the seats so ull still see emptys there..

Also the building in newark is ALOT easier to get too than the CAA. Almost there is a bus route for about 40 of the surrounding citys to newark..not including penn station which is right across the streeet.
You guys have ten dollar seats...? Lucky...lol. The last time I went to Pepsi to watch an Avs game I had to pay 25 to sit in the nosebleeds.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HBI5PJoZEFU

A video tour of the new arena..what a place.

except for gomer at the end lol
Only thing missing from the suits is the pole dancers. ;)

The fans need some kind of entertainment right?

The place looks nice though it must of been financed by the state or newark no way The devils and Lou put a dime in this place except for there banners.

Charles Wang should take notice of the place for his islanders.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Only thing missing from the suits is the pole dancers. ;)

The fans need some kind of entertainment right?

The place looks nice though it must of been financed by the state or newark no way The devils and Lou put a dime in this place except for there banners.

Charles Wang should take notice of the place for his islanders.
if i remember right 60/40 devils..newark was the only city that would give more than 20 percent..i know hoboken was in the running for a while..but got turned down cause of the fear of traffic

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
if i remember right 60/40 devils..newark was the only city that would give more than 20 percent..i know hoboken was in the running for a while..but got turned down cause of the fear of traffic
So they went with the fear of guns over the fear of traffic makes sense.

neverless it looks to be a great looking arena. just hope for the devils sake it stays rather nice and they install anti graffiti sprayers that spray back on the thugs who try to make it look like the rest of the area. ;)

That 20% should pay for Lous payraise on his next contract. :haha:

·
Registered
737 Posts
So they went with the fear of guns over the fear of traffic makes sense.

neverless it looks to be a great looking arena. just hope for the devils sake it stays rather nice and they install anti graffiti sprayers that spray back on the thugs who try to make it look like the rest of the area. ;)

That 20% should pay for Lous payraise on his next contract. :haha:
Its fenced off..well..will be u cant get inside the fencing without presenting a ticket or pass.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts