Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this one, even though it's a few days old:

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that state Rep. John LaBruzzo (R) said yesterday that “he is studying a plan to pay poor women $1,000 to have their Fallopian tubes tied.” LaBruzzo worries that people receiving food and housing assistance “are reproducing at a faster rate than more affluent, better-educated residents”:

He said he is gathering statistics now. … “What I’m really studying is any and all possibilities that we can reduce the number of people that are going from generational welfare to generational welfare,” he said.

He said his program would be voluntary. It could involve tubal ligation, encouraging other forms of birth control or, to avoid charges of gender discrimination, vasectomies for men. It also could include tax incentives for college-educated, higher-income people to have more children, he said.

LaBruzzo said that mainstream strategies against poverty, such as education and family planning, “have repeatedly failed to solve the problem,” according to the Times-Picayune. “I don’t know if it’s a viable option…Of course people are going to get excited about it,” he said of his plan.
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base/news-6/122223371288730.xml&coll=1

I wonder if he wants to sterilize all the Wall Street types who have been receiving corporate welfare?

Daryl

·
Registered
949 Posts
tis a good idea

as long as it is consentual.....

too many people reproduce beyond their means.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
tis a good idea

as long as it is consentual.....

too many people reproduce beyond their means.

This is so wrong on many levels that I don't even know where to begin. Why pick on the poor? The poor are not who ruining the economy; it's the greedy few who want to make obscene amounts of money off the backs of those trying to eke out a living. :p
Daryl has a point. Maybe it's the unethical ones who really need to be sterilized.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Otherwise known as the Bob Grant Sterilization Act of 1970.

Don't have children you can't afford and expect others to pay for them.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think the major issue is, the affordability and perhaps the accessibility of birth control. I honestly doubt that lower Socioeconomic class ppl would like to have kids that they cant afford to raise, but the fact of the matter is many maybe cant afford proper birth control methods and condoms are not always worn or affective 100%, they break and tear. Many ppl dont have health insurance that will cover birth control. So its easy to say dont have kids if you cant afford to raise them, but applicability of that statement is not always possible.

I mean you can just turn to third world nations as a answer, in terms of poor birth control methods leading to unexpected pregnancies and increase in the population below the poverty line.

This "idea" is like treating the symptom and not the disease, and not only that it has to be discriminatory and morally and ethically wrong. Typical solution, throw money at a problem and hope it goes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts