Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to tsn.ca
Eric Lindros is expected to sign with the Dallas Stars as early as Sunday, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ''I think it's a great fit,'' Lindros said to the Star-Telegram. ''Looking at the roster there, knowing (head coach) Dave Tippett and (assistant coach Mark) 'Chopper' Lamb from my Philly days ... I feel good about going down there and I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice.''

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Blackhawk 15 said:
According to tsn.ca
Eric Lindros is expected to sign with the Dallas Stars as early as Sunday, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ''I think it's a great fit,'' Lindros said to the Star-Telegram. ''Looking at the roster there, knowing (head coach) Dave Tippett and (assistant coach Mark) 'Chopper' Lamb from my Philly days ... I feel good about going down there and I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice.''
Being in the Western Conference, he will be hit a hell of a lot more, that's for sure!!

It will be interesting to see how many games he plays??

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Lindros signs with Stars

July 16, 2006

Sportsnet has learned that Eric Lindros has signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars worth $1.55 million plus another million in incentives.

The Toronto Maple Leafs refused to budge on their offer of $1 million, which did not include any team or individual bonuses.

Lindros was quoted in Saturday's Fort-Worth Star Telegram, saying "I think (Dallas is) a great fit. Looking at the roster there, knowing [coach] Dave Tippett and [assistant coach Mark] 'Chopper' Lamb from my Philly days ... I feel good about going down there and I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice."

Over the past two seasons, Lindros has played in only 72 games. Last season, he missed 49 games with wrist injury but scored 22 points (11 goals, 11 assists) in 33 games.

Over his 12-year NHL career, Lindros has 367 goals and 472 assists for 839 points in 711 games.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
And there it is. There goes Toronto's 2nd line centerman. :rolleyes:

JFJ does it again. Ridiculous! He was by far their best player when Sundin was injured, now they'll have to drag Welly up to the 2nd line in his place. Hopefuly he can fiill the void... I doubt it though. The Big E was on a whole other level before he got injured.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Stars still chasing Lindros

TSN.ca Staff
7/16/2006 7:15:00 PM

The Dallas Stars remain in the hunt for free agent centre Eric Lindros but, contrary to early reports, have not signed him - yet.

A Dallas Stars team source told TSN that they expect the deal to completed Monday and they are finalizing the details of the contract.

A report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram said Lindros and the Stars were working on a one-year deal that would contain incentives.

"I think it's a great fit," Lindros said to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday. "Looking at the roster there, knowing (head coach) Dave Tippett and (assistant coach Mark) 'Chopper' Lamb from my Philly days...I feel good about going down there and I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice."

Lindros, 33, played for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season and earned $1.55 million US, but suffered a wrist injury that limited him to just 33 games.

The Maple Leafs have offered him a one-year, $750,000 deal, according to Toronto newspapers. The Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings were also mentioned as possible homes for Lindros.

Lindros was the first overall selection by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft and has played 12 seasons in stints with the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers and Maple Leafs.

He scored 11 goals and 22 points last season and has 367 goals and 839 points in 711 career games. The former Oshawa General enjoyed his best season in 1994-95, when he scored 29 goals and 70 points in just 46 games and won the Hart Trophy as league MVP. Lindros also led the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Final in 1996-97.

·
494 Posts
Well, i had just asked if he got signed in another thread, because i had heard he may have been.
A part of me wishes he would stay a leaf. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
It's Finally Official!!!

Stars sign free agent centre Lindros

Canadian Press
7/17/2006 2:00:48 PM

DALLAS (CP) - Eric Lindros has signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.

The NHL club made it official Monday after lawyers on both sides wrapped up a deal that was in the works this weekend.

"We're very excited to add a player like Eric Lindros to our roster," Stars GM Doug Armstrong said in a statement. "He has consistently been a player who produces offence when in the lineup. We believe that Eric will be an excellent addition to our team."

Lindros had 11 goals and 11 assists last season while earning $1.55 million with his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs but was limited to 33 games after injuring his wrist.

"I am very excited to join a winning organization like the Dallas Stars," said Lindros. "I believe I can offer a team like the Stars a lot and I look forward to joining the strong core of players this organization already has in Mike Modano, Jere Lehtinen, Marty Turco, Brenden Morrow and Sergei Zubov, among others."

Injuries have been the story for Lindros, who has missed at least 10 games in 11 of his 12 NHL seasons. Concussions have been his biggest concern, and the 33-year-old Lindros was forced to sit out the entire 2000-01 campaign after he was levelled by New Jersey's Scott Stevens during a playoff game the season before.

He has sustained eight concussions and played an average of only 59 games per season.

At six-foot-four and 240 pounds, he could provide the Stars with some much-needed size if he can stay healthy. The Stars lost Jason Arnott to free agency July 1 so they see Lindros has a good fit.

In 711 NHL games, Lindros has 367 goals and 472 assists.

·
494 Posts
"He has consistently been a player who produces offence when in the lineup. "

key phrase "when in the lineup" :laugh:

I wish him luck and i do hope he dominates, hes always been a start when playing IMO.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
"I am very excited to join a winning organization like the Dallas Stars,"
The key words here are "winning organization", something the Toronto Maple Leafs could care less about being. With Arnott gone he'll fit right into his spot.

oilers said:
Lol This Guy Averages More Then A Point In A Game
Yeah, he's a great player, it's just that his injury problems can get in the way. When healthy though, he dominates.

I wish the Leafs had kept him, especially with Arnott and Roenick already off the market. Now they'll have to force Wellwood into the spot.:rolleyes:

A typical Leaf move.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya know - I live in Dallas and I've followed the Stars since they came here in 93. This isn't a great move by Dallas (other than the 1 year contract part). This is an entirely "Leaf" move. The Maple Leafs have written the book on bringing in tired old underperforming former stars. It shows in their pathetic performances for the past two seasons.

Dallas is walking in the Toronto shadow. Dallas hasn't had a good draft since they landed Marty Turco. Before that it was Jamie Langunbrunner and before that it was Jerome Iginla. Guess who they still have?

Dallas screwed up when they signed Pierre Turgeon. They screwed up with they thought it would be cool to sign Bill Guerin for 7 or 8 million a season when they missed out on getting Roenick. They were wrong on both. It cost them, and it will continue to cost the team. Arnott was a good pickup, but it cost Jamie Langenbrunner - who will play longer for less money and perform about the same as Arnott.

Now they sign Lindros? Who's almost guaranteed to play less than half the season? Let's look at the positives - 1) it's a low money deal; 2) it's a low risk deal; 3) it's only for a year; 4) when healthy, Lindros can bring it.

Now - the negatives... You're gonna build a second line around a guy who will not be there the whole season. Your first line is centered by a guy who is 35 years old. You have a perennial all-star defenseman who smokes a pack a day and is in the second half of his 30s. Your Finnish Superstar Defensive Forward Whizz Kid isn't a kid anymore. This team needs to be making deals to acquire young talent (like Calgary did when they traded Niewendyk for Iginla).

Wrapping up - the Stars outta be building this team around Lehtinen, Morrow, and Modano and they should be looking at dealing some of their older talent before it gets too late. Picking up oft-injured has beens is a purely Toronto move and it will end the same way for Dallas. Unlike Toronto though, Dallas won't sell out every game if they finish in the cellar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts