Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
8/2/2006 4:45:25 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The storyline hasn't changed - with Eric Lindros it seldom does.

His injuries have healed and he's hoping to stay healthy, eager to prove that a fresh start is all he needs to show that he can still be a dominant player.

Set to embark on the latest chapter of his career with the Dallas Stars, the Big E says he has nothing to prove in Big D.

"If I'm healthy I can play - I know that in my heart," Lindros said Wednesday after signing autographs at a Children's Miracle Network event. "I don't think there's a question about that."

The numbers back him up. It's just the anecdotes that don't.

Lindros has 839 points (367-472) in 711 career games for a respectable rate of 1.18 points per game.

Those numbers are often overlooked by many along with the Hart Trophy he won in 1995 because of all the headlines he's made for being injured.

In addition to his well-documented series of concussions, Lindros had knee, shoulder and wrist problems along with a collapsed lung since making his NHL debut in 1992.

Torn ligaments in his right wrist limited him to just 33 games with the hometown Toronto Maple Leafs last season - a familiar plot-line for another failed season.

"I'm a little disappointed the way things finished up," he said. "It's over. It's passed. There's a good group of people in there and I wish them the best."

Lindros said earlier this summer that he wanted to return to the Maple Leafs for a second season, but it didn't pan out.

Instead, he signed a one-year deal with the Stars for a base salary of $1.55 million US that could be worth as much as $2.5 million with incentives. The Leafs, strapped for cash under the salary cap, were reportedly only interested in paying $750,000.

"I don't think there was too much of an investigation in terms of bonus structure from (Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr.)," said Lindros. "I don't think he looked into it that much.

"We weren't very close at all."

Then Dallas came calling and a new deal got done, "quickly."

Lindros looked fit and relaxed Wednesday on a sweltering morning, joking with reporters that he expected to find cooler temperatures in Texas.

The wrist, which was operated on a few months back, feels strong and ready for the regular season.

"Things are improving, things are great," said Lindros. "I'm getting in as much ice time as possible."

The Stars are banking on a healthy No. 88 to help get them back amongst the NHL's elite after a quick first-round playoff exit last season.

Lindros says he and Dallas coach Dave Tippett, a former teammate with the 1992 Canadian Olympic team, spoke at length about what his role would be with the team.

He expects to be an impact player.

"I just want to go down and have a real healthy season, feel good and get the ball rolling," said Lindros.

After previous stints with the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers and Maple Leafs, it'll be the first time Lindros plays in the Western Conference.

The change isn't one he expects to have a tough time adjusting to.

"It'll be a little bit different," he said. "There's going to be a few adjustments to get used to but hockey's hockey."

Off the ice, Lindros can expect a bit more privacy after spending a season in hockey-mad Toronto.

But he says that played no part in the move. Lindros, who has been giving interviews since his early teenage years, says the media presence and high expectations were something he enjoyed.

"I had a good time here in Toronto ... I think it's a great hockey environment," Lindros said. "The competition for stories (in Dallas) obviously isn't the same as it is around here. You guys are on top of one another with all the networks and all the newspapers.

"You can have some fun with that too. I don't think it's as big of deal as some make it out to be. I think it can be a pretty good time."

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Would have been good to keep the guy. He'd fit in well on the 2nd line.

Hopefully Wellwood can step up big time this year.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well duh, shouldn't he be contributing to the team?

That is one of the stupidest headlines ever!!!

With this kind of money
One-year deal with the Stars for a base salary of $1.55 million US that could be worth as much as $2.5 million with incentives.
I guess he better be contributing!!!! :rolleyes: (just a little sarcastic here!!)

I doubt he'll make it to January!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Well duh, shouldn't he be contributing to the team?

That is one of the stupidest headlines ever!!!

With this kind of money I guess he better be contributing!!!! :rolleyes: (just a little sarcastic here!!)

I doubt he'll make it to January!!
im with u on that one.... i was surprised he lasted till xmas..lol..but i REALLY want to see him finish the season with no injuries! if he did he'd be awseome! 33 games and 22 pts with the leafs..lol..if he played longer he would of made more!! thats what pisses me off about him, hes great but always injured :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts