Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nordiques sold 10 years ago...

Les Nordiques: 10 years already!

Wednesday, May 25 2005 - (RDS.ca) - 10 years ago, May 25 1995, the Quebec Nordiques were sold for 75 millions dollars US to a group of investors from Maryland, who moved the team to Denver, Colorado.

The team, who became the Avalanche, went on to win the Stanley Cup in its very first year in Colorado.

Source - rds.ca
Great for Colorado, but a very sad day in Canada, killing one of the most envied rivalry in pro-sports and taking away from fans who were excellent supporters of the team...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Ten year to the day, the Nords were bought from an American buisness man from Maryland. They were sold for 75 million US$ , moved to Colorado and won a cup their first year there!

rds.ca is doing a special tribute by putting all sorts of pictures, statistics and texts from 79-80 - 94-95 : rds.ca/nordiques

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey, Colorado should consider wearing some kind of retro jersey or old school Quebec jersey on special matinee games or whenever they want. That would bring back the old times! Carolina should do the same (Hartford). Wait where did winnepeg go again? I kinda forgot. Did they even go anywhere?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
if the team hadn't moved, nords fans would have hated cheering for claude and roy. of course, montreal would never have traded roy to quebec anyway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
pavelbure said:
if the team hadn't moved, nords fans would have hated cheering for claude and roy. of course, montreal would never have traded roy to quebec anyway.
You're right. That would have made it interesting where Roy would have went if the Nords were still around.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Imagine if the Québec Nordiques were still around in 2003-2004. I wonder if all those guys like Sakic, Foote and Forsberg would still be wearing Nordique colors. I think that Quebec would have trouble affording to keep them in Québec City.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leaferfan87 said:
Imagine if the Québec Nordiques were still around in 2003-2004. I wonder if all those guys like Sakic, Foote and Forsberg would still be wearing Nordique colors. I think that Quebec would have trouble affording to keep them in Québec City.
There's no doubt in my mind that they would not have retained all of them. Just like they woudn't have added Blake, or Ray Bourque. But with a salary cap and revenue sharing, they wouldn't be worst off than Calgary or Edmonton.

·
Registered
842 Posts
BRING' EM BACK!!!

We need more Canadian teams and more rivalries! Unfortunately, I just can't see it happening with Bettman in charge.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt it will ever happen. I was reading on RDS that when the Nordiques were sold 10 years ago, thier payroll was $16 million. With the CBA negociations, the floor could very well be between $25-32 million when it's all said and done.

There aren't many big corporations in Quebec City (in comparaison to Montreal), so pretty much everything is coming out of the fans' pockets... and they would need another arena, which they couldn't find financing for 10 years ago!

Winnipeg has a better chance at seeing an NHL franchise return, and even that is a very long shot...

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think they would have. Patrick was a huge reason why they won those Cups and Montreal would have NEVER traded him to their biggest rivals, no matter the offer.

That and they could not afford guys like Raymond Bourque, Rob Blake, let alone keeping their top players... :twocentsi

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I agree with JL. The potential for Winnipeg to sustain an NHL franchise would be higher than Quebec City. The Nordiques, as people pointed out, would need a new arena and that would take time to finance and build.

Unfortunately, I don't see NHL hockey in Quebec City's future at this present time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Leaferfan87 said:
I agree with JL. The potential for Winnipeg to sustain an NHL franchise would be higher than Quebec City. The Nordiques, as people pointed out, would need a new arena and that would take time to finance and build.
That is very true but the chances of Winnpeg getting another NHL franchise are very slim.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Winnipeg Jets: Remember the players...

Bobby Hull, Andres Hedberg, Ulf Nilson, Morris Lukowich, Dave Christian, Dale Hawerchuk, Laurie Boschman, Paul Maclean, Thomas Steen, Brian Mullen, Dave Ellet, Phil Housley, Eddie Olycuk, Teemu Selanne, Keith Tkachuk, Alexei Zhamnov, Bob Essensa, Fredrick Oloussen, Kris King, Tie Domi, Dave Babych, Nikolai Khabibulin

They Ruled the city when we had em here..and we still consider them Jets...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts