Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this thread already exist or not, but I still decided to start it anyways. I was wondering who do think is better and why?

I personally think that Gretzky is a better overall player, he was the best passer who ever played the game, and he holds the most NHL records there is, some say that Lemieux was a better goal scorer, but Gretzky also knew how to put the puck in the net.

Also some say that if Lemieux never got all those injuries or cancer, he would of beaten Gretzky scoring records, I don't know about that because even when Lemieux was in is prime he was even close to Gretzky's goals in a season or points in a season.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please give an explanation, if you want to make these forums better my friend, you can't just reply with a pick, you have to explain why you chose Gretzky over Lemieux.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Kovalev27 said:
Please give an explanation, if you want to make these forums better my friend, you can't just reply with a pick, you have to explain why you chose Gretzky over Lemieux.
Gretzky, does it really need an explanation

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does, because both are great players, there arguably the best players to ever play the game, and a lot of people debate about who's better between the two, and I would love to know why you think Gretzky is better then Lemieux in your opinion, and I am sure other people would like to know as well.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Kovalev27 said:
Yes it does, because both are great players, there arguably the best players to ever play the game, and a lot of people debate about who's better between the two, and I would love to know why you think Gretzky is better then Lemieux in your opinion, and I am sure other people would like to know as well.
I just got home, Ill make my explanation later if i have one. I have to go through all 9 pages of posts I missed while I was gone. I see your a habs fan, Good man:thumbsup:

·
Banned
30 Posts
Gretzky, out of any sport when you talk "best" player Greztky is really the only one thats a for sure. Baseball has many positions and arguements, football way to many positions, basketball Michael Jordan Wilt Chamberlin Larry Bird, it's a good arguement. But when you talk hockey and you look at what Greztsky did, you know he's the best. His points dominates everyone else, and he won the cup numerous times as well.

For me, the top hockey players are.

1.Wayne Gretzky
2.Gordie Howe
3.Bobby Orr
4.Patrick Roy
5.Mario Lemiuex
6.Stevey Yzerman
7.Mark Messier
8.Bobby Hull
9.Joe Sakic
10.Brett Hull

Defensemen
Orr
Coffey
Harvey
Bourque
McInnis
Stevens
Lidstrom

Goalies
Roy
Broduer
Hasek
Sawchuck
Felix :p

Honorable Mention
Pavel Bure
Maurice Richard
Guy LaFluer
Phil Esposito
Mike Bossy
Jaromir Jagr
Brendan Shannahan
Ed Belfour
Scott Niedermeyer

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Honorable Mention
Pavel Bure
Maurice Richard
Guy LaFluer
Phil Esposito
Mike Bossy
Jaromir Jagr
Brendan Shannahan
Ed Belfour
Scott Niedermeyer[/QUOTE]

Maurice Richard an honorable mention:eek: I would not say any top ten list is right without Maurice Richard in the top 5. That crazy not having him on there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would pick Maurice Richard over everybody, im not saying this because i have seen the movie, but ive done research and even saw a document on TV, but this guy has worked SOOOO hrd for everything he has done in hockey. Guys like Gretzky, Lemeiux and Orr pretty much had it made (Gretzky had a friggin rink in his back yard). But Maurice could only play like mens league. When he did make it to the NHL everybody thought he would suck, but he was amazing not only could he drive to the net all the time and score but he was tough (hahah yeah that was my fav part of the movie when he TKOd Sean Avery...

OTHER: IF U HAVE THIS MOVIE LOOK AT THE 5 GUYS THAT ARE IN IT, MIKE RICCI, SEAN AVERY, IAN LAPERRIERE AND TWO OTHER GUYS, COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE THEY ALL ARE, I ONLY KNOW WHERE RICCI AND AVERY ARE.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
faulkner91sf said:
OTHER: IF U HAVE THIS MOVIE LOOK AT THE 5 GUYS THAT ARE IN IT, MIKE RICCI, SEAN AVERY, IAN LAPERRIERE AND TWO OTHER GUYS, COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE THEY ALL ARE, I ONLY KNOW WHERE RICCI AND AVERY ARE.
Vincent Lecavalier and Mathieu Dandenault.

oh and Stephane Quintal was also in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Richard is for sure top five player but I wouldn't consider him the best player to ever play, he was the first one to get 500 goals in NHL history, he was double and triple teamed each time he had the puck.

Yes Gretzky has almost 1000 more points then anyone else which is remarkable, but some people say that if Bobby Orr or Lemieux would of never got injured, then they would be close to him, but I still think he's the best.

Also it's Guy Lafleur

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
faulkner91sf said:
yes, but where are they? ive seen the movie 3 times, i only found ricci and avery.
okay well you know when the police go into the dressing room to take Richard away and the team creates a wall? you can see Lecavalier at the far end of the "wall" they create. You can also see him close to the end of the movie on the train sitting with Richard and other people. For Quintal and Dandenault I would have to watch it again to see where they are.

·
Banned
30 Posts
I have a hard time picking people I really never witnessed play, therefor Maurice didn't crack the top 10. I've seen ton's of Video with Howe and Orr etc...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lecavalier is not in the movie for a long time, he's portraying the great Jean Beliveau, at the near end of the movie you see number 4 on this ice well that's Lecavalier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
even though they're both great players, i think gretzky is the better of the two cause
a) i'm from edmonton
b) gretzky still got a lot of records in the record book
c) gretzky's records still hold cause he's just so special and so great
d) everytime you watch him play, he just wows you, not only can he score he can make the great plays

maurice richard is a great player, but too bad i have never seen him play before. I want to see the movie, is it any good? the only time i've seen a depiction of the rocket was in those 1 minute history of canada thing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gordie Howe

Gordie Howe. Gretzky would stand there and not defend his teamates during brawls. Sorry but even a small guy has to dig deep every now and then and defend his teamates. That's all a part of North American hockey. Yzerman used to do it for the wings.

·
Registered
712 Posts
trizz251 said:
maurice richard is a great player, but too bad i have never seen him play before. I want to see the movie, is it any good? the only time i've seen a depiction of the rocket was in those 1 minute history of canada thing.
my favourite movie...its definitley worth watching/buying, i rented it like 2 weeks ago and im not bringin it back. ive watched it like 50 times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They both take a back seat to Yzerman. He was the better leader and played both ends of the rink.

To answer your question, Gretz was better overall but :emieux could fight sooooo, i don't know where i am going with this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts