Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
well i've never feared the leafs. like they would ever make it far enough to meet my canucks in the playoffs. well, not since 1994, when they were still a western team.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Flyers Rule said:
Leafs are no longer a team to fear, do I even have to explain why?
Every year, there are teams who command respect, or teams which cause opponents to be wary...but not fear.
Any team can beat any other team, on any given night.

The only NHL team that ever generated actual "fear" in their opponents was the 70's Flyers...the Broad Street Bullies....they are the only team who's normal game strategy included both full-time intimidation, and routine attempts at maiming and injuring opposition players.
Other teams, before and after, have had designated "goons" for intimidation and/or protection of their stars...but there's never been an entire team like that, before or since.

It may not have been hockey..but it may have defined and established a market, amongst a certain fan base, for such quasi-sports as "Ultimate Fighting".

·
Registered
16 Posts
OldTimer61 said:
Every year, there are teams who command respect, or teams which cause opponents to be wary...but not fear.
Any team can beat any other team, on any given night.

The only NHL team that ever generated actual "fear" in their opponents was the 70's Flyers...the Broad Street Bullies....they are the only team who's normal game strategy included both full-time intimidation, and routine attempts at maiming and injuring opposition players.
Other teams, before and after, have had designated "goons" for intimidation and/or protection of their stars...but there's never been an entire team like that, before or since.

It may not have been hockey..but it may have defined and established a market, amongst a certain fan base, for such quasi-sports as "Ultimate Fighting".
I second that =)

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Mar 08
4,382 Posts
Come now Philly and the Leafs have had great playoff battles,
I as a leaf fan I "fear" 2 teams on the eastern conference side. Those 2 are New Jersey and Philly.
Too say the leafs won't make the playoffs is a joke, any team right now doubt if they can make the playoffs with the new CBA. The future for any team is cloudy

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
hockeyboy14 said:
Too say the leafs won't make the playoffs is a joke, any team right now doubt if they can make the playoffs with the new CBA. The future for any team is cloudy
Leafs have nothing really in the way of prospects. Wellwood is ok. You don't know which vets will be staying and some that are, they're a little old like Eddie.

As far as future of teams, some of them actually look bright:

Atlanta -- Heatley, Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, Coburn
Buffalo -- is basically stocked with young talent and guys like Drury, Satan and Briere
Colorado -- always in good shape
Detroit -- Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall
Montreal -- Theo, Koivu, Souray, Zednik
New Jersey -- Brodeur, Elias, Gomez, Parise, Tallackson, Zajac
Ottawa -- Alfie, Hossa, Havlat (rat), Chara, Redden
Philly -- Primeau, JR, Gagne, Kapanen, Esche, Markov, Richards, Carter
Phoenix -- Doan, Hull, Nedved, Ballard, O'Donnell
San Jose -- Marleau, Nabokov, Cheechoo, Goc, Sturm
Tampa -- do I need to elaborate here?
Vancouver -- Kesler, Morrison, the twins, Bert (if he is back)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
hockeyboy14 said:
pavelbure said:
well i've never feared the leafs. like they would ever make it far enough to meet my canucks in the playoffs. well, not since 1994, when they were still a western team.
Or it could be the other way around eh?
ha ha. maybe so, but we destroyed you the last time our teams met. ten years or not, we schooled you.

swflyers8 said:
Buffalo -- is basically stocked with young talent and guys like Drury, Satan and Briere
buffalo is stocked with young talent, but drury and satan are not it. satan, by the way, isn't even returning to buffalo.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Jackskelington said:
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!! another 'trash the leeeeeeeeeef' thread!!!

it will be even more fun when the season starts again!!!
Yes, but unfortunately we won't be able to use the "most players on the team were playing when the Leafs last won the Cup" line anymore.:haha:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leafs' fan think they'll have a shot at the playoffs with thier blue line, and those decrepit players? I think Pittsburgh has a better chance, who on the leafs can stop Ryan Malone? Leetch, McCabe, Berg, Andropov, Nolan, or maybe the 41 year old goalie will save the day.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Flyers Rule said:
Leafs' fan think they'll have a shot at the playoffs with thier blue line, and those decrepit players? I think Pittsburgh has a better chance, who on the leafs can stop Ryan Malone? Leetch, McCabe, Berg, Andropov, Nolan, or maybe the 41 year old goalie will save the day.
They've made the playoffs for 6 straight years with an average (some would say below average) blueline. As long as we get goaltending and offense we'll be fine. Why don't you worry about your Flyers, who if I'm not mistaken have less cap room than the Leafs.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
They've made the playoffs for 6 straight years with an average (some would say below average) blueline. As long as we get goaltending and offense we'll be fine. Why don't you worry about your Flyers, who if I'm not mistaken have less cap room than the Leafs.
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think the Flyers are in a better position going into the salary cap era than the Leafs are. IMO, the Leafs don't have the young talent that the Flyers do, and have more aging veterans on their team (although many may be gone with the salary cap). One thing is for sure, we're going to know who the good GM's are in the league with the mess that could be this offseason. We'll see if JFJ is on par with the Lamoriello's and Holland's of the league (not many are).

1 - 20 of 265 Posts