Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darren Dreger
11/22/2006 9:11:28 AM

It's far from a show of confidence, however Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment has removed some of the uncertainty surrounding the future of Leafs general manager John Ferguson by picking up the pre-negotiated option on his contract for next season.

"We are excited about the direction the Leafs have taken, on and off the ice, under the leadership of John Ferguson," said Richard Peddie, president and chief executive officer of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. "When we signed John as general manager three years ago it was my hope and expectation that we'd be making this announcement today.

"Prior to the lockout John created a strategic plan that would address a number of needs that our franchise had—principally procuring and developing young talent, and operating a team under the parameters of a new collective bargaining agreement. We've begun to see the results of John's plan, and picking up the option on the fourth year of his contract enables that progress to continue."

Sources tell TSN the decision to accept the option year on Ferguson's contract was made Tuesday at an MLSE board meeting, but a proposal to extend the contract wasn't explored.

"At the end of the day this is a good business decision," a source close to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment said. "It's a step in the right direction."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I don't like it. He's overstayed his welcome IMO, especialy with some of the of the moves he has made.

He's made some good ones, but then he seems to dig his fee into the ground.

Wade Belak is what I mean. He's not an NHLer, yet he's on Toronto. Not only that, but he'll be there until 2008. For what? I have no idea. He brings nothing of sigificance.

The team needs to cut off players like him to be successful.

Remenber: It's all about Lord Stanley.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts