Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all these losses, the Leafs should just scrap the season. I mean seriously, its not worth re-building such an old team.

Get rid of Belfour, trade Sundin, and then start to move guys like Antropov in return for draft picks. Free up as much room as possible under the salary cap, and then buy hot-young talent on the free agent market.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't think its a team issue, more of a corporate world issue. Head office doesnt need to win the stanley cup. Us ticket buyers keep returning even when the team is losing, so why spend the bucks to win a cup :confused:

Its a real bummer, but i believe i wont see it in my life time, and im still under 30 :(

Maybe a rebuild would be good, but again its a dollar and cents things.

I just wanna see a stanley cup!

·
Registered
229 Posts
NICEGUY said:
I don't think its a team issue, more of a corporate world issue. Head office doesnt need to win the stanley cup. Us ticket buyers keep returning even when the team is losing, so why spend the bucks to win a cup :confused:

Its a real bummer, but i believe i wont see it in my life time, and im still under 30 :(

Maybe a rebuild would be good, but again its a dollar and cents things.

I just wanna see a stanley cup!
One of my customers is a huge Maple Leafs fan. He said the exact same thing to me awhile ago. Told me my Habs would win a cup first, for that reason. They have no reason to try and build the team. They're not going to sell anymore tickets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The biggest problem the Leafs face is the fact that MLSE is more interested in making money rather than spending it. They had ample opportunity this summer to clear off those bad contracts and starts fresh, but instead they sign a 40 yr old goalie, and other players that exploit their age and diminishing skills. Tie Domi 2million/yr, are you kidding me!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
NICEGUY said:
we dont need to spend money, or do anything. Because the fans return be it winning or losing.

:cool:
On the contrary. We need to spend money, just not foolishly. What is the point in owning a sports empire, to make money or to win championships. Obviously for the Teachers Pension Fund and their stock shares it is to makle money. Well how about this novel idea, put a winning product on the floor by spending on quality YOUNG players and we could make even more money. I have yet to hear of a championship team losing money. Toronto has die hard fans who are loyal, maybe too loyal. Maybe if people stopped going to games until they put a contender on the ice they would feel it where it seems to affect them the most, their pocketbooks.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
bizzat1 said:
On the contrary. We need to spend money, just not foolishly. What is the point in owning a sports empire, to make money or to win championships. Obviously for the Teachers Pension Fund and their stock shares it is to makle money. Well how about this novel idea, put a winning product on the floor by spending on quality YOUNG players and we could make even more money. I have yet to hear of a championship team losing money. Toronto has die hard fans who are loyal, maybe too loyal. Maybe if people stopped going to games until they put a contender on the ice they would feel it where it seems to affect them the most, their pocketbooks.

But we don’t need to spend money. We don’t need to win. The fans want a cup, players want a cup, GMs and franchise owners want revenue, a cup is just bonus. I mean really, at the end of the day its still a business, and long as the dollar and cents come rolling in, why change what isn’t broken? It’s a proven recipe!

You’re right though, maybe if fans started stay homing watching American Idol, the leafs would put together a cup winning team, bring the fans back. But again, our loyalty just shows owners that we will settle for 2nd best.
Its brutal, i would love to see the leafs win a cup, but im not holding my breathe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Move Ferguson Jr.

They just re-signed Kaberle which is a good move, he a quality d-man but they have LOTS of work to do over the next year to put together a team. I think it would almost be a good thing if they didnt make the playoffs and then liquidated players that were going to be UFA's for draftpicks so they can start to rebuild the team. Every team need a few years or down time to rebuild and then they come back better and bigger.....the Leafs have had some of the worst draft choices in the last 10 years in the NHL I think only 3 or 4 other teams have done worse(my flames being one of them).

But it will be interesting to see what is in store for the leafs....and I hope they keep the Flames in mind when they need to move a starting center :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts