1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transformed himself: Rookie forward has eight goals, 18 assists this year
Michael Traikos, National Post
Published: Monday, February 05, 2007

TORONTO - Paul Maurice once joked there was a reason why the minor-league players he graduated to the National Hockey League level last season always credited him for their advancement.

"I pay them $5 to say that," he said.

This season, the Toronto Maple Leafs head coach is setting the record straight.

After former Marlies forward John Pohl scored the game winning goal in a 3-2 overtime shootout victory against the Senators on Saturday, Maurice undermined his own role in the 27-year-old's development.

"Just so you know," he said, "[Pohl has] done that all on his own."

What Pohl did on Saturday was beat Senators goaltender Ray Emery with a nifty backhand move for his first NHL shootout goal. What he has done this season has been equally remarkable.

Initially believed by Maurice to be a "good American League player," Pohl has transformed himself into a Leafs regular. After playing 10 minutes or more just twice in his first 30 games, Pohl has averaged more than 15 minutes a game since mid-December. He is used on the power play, on the penalty kill and has recently been on the ice when the game on the line.

"I don't know if surprised is the word, but I'm certainly pleased how he's played for us this year," said Maurice, who originally slotted Pohl as a fourthline winger at the start of the season.

"I don't think I would have expected him to play the role he has in the last month. You can hope for it. But he's been doing it all?good for him."

Pohl, who has eight goals and 18 assists this season, is similarly humble in his climb from playing five minutes a night to being chosen ahead of Jeff O'Neill and Alex Steen to participate in his first NHL shootout.

"It's great to have the coach have confidence in you," he said, "but hopefully the teammates are confident too. That means just as much.

"To be honest, I just want to have a niche. I want to help the team. If that means playing five minutes but being real productive and outplaying the other team, that's fine with me. Obviously, it's a little more fun to play in an offensive role, but I just want to be relied upon and the guys to want me on the ice and want me to contribute."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Yeah, Pohl rocks!

15 points in his last 20 games (6G, 9A). :cool:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

THEY SCORE!!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Yeah. That's probably going to be my avatar real soon. :D

Tell her she can have it, and put in a word about the site too (if she hasn't already signed up)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts