Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leafs lose sixth straight

BOSTON (AP) -- Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau, and Patrice Bergeron scored third-period goals and the Bruins beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 on Thursday night.

Tim Thomas had 23 saves for the Bruins, who won for the fifth time in six games. The Maple Leafs lost their sixth straight.

Primeau scored the game-winning goal with 5:53 remaining when he knocked the rebound of a shot by Mark Mowers past Maple Leafs goalie Jean-Sebastien Aubin.

Patrice Bergeron added an insurance goal with 1:19 left for Boston.

Toronto dropped its fourth straight to Boston and scored only one goal against the Bruins for the fourth straight game. The teams were playing for the fifth time in 28 days.
Once again the team got outdone in the 3rd period, and tonight they all could have been avoided. They have have allowed 18 goals in the 3rd during their 6-game losing streak.

The desperationd just doesn't seem ot be there. There is just too much coasting and it's allowing teams to score goals that they just shouldn't score.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is very tiresome to see the Leafs continuously get a lead early in the gane only to lose by many un-answered goals in the 3rd period.

I hae noticed that thet make a lot of low percentage passes to each other that easily get picked off by the opposing team. It usually gives them an odd man rush too.

They had a good start to the season. What the heck happened>:dunno:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cottonmouth.

You gus are right these third periods are a disaster lately. Two games in a row the team should have gotten points in and they walk away empty handed.

I never thought I'd say this but I miss Nik.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Scoring Summary
1st Period
None
2nd Period
Toronto 5:04, Jeff O'Neill 8 (Michael Peca, Brendan Bell)
3rd Period
Boston 10:13, Brad Stuart 5 (Brad Boyes, Marco Sturm)
Boston 14:07, Wayne Primeau 5 (Mark Mowers, Shean Donovan)
Boston 18:41, Patrice Bergeron 8 (Wayne Primeau, Shean Donovan)

Penalty Summary
1st Period
Toronto hooking - 2 min 6:29, A. Ponikarovsky
Boston hooking - 2 min 15:03, M. Savard
Toronto slashing - 2 min 19:32, P. Kubina
2nd Period
Boston high sticking - 2 min 3:18, A. Alberts
Boston high sticking - 2 min 3:18, A. Alberts
Toronto high sticking - 2 min 4:09, D. Tucker
3rd Period
Toronto high sticking - 2 min 5:18, M. Peca
Boston roughing - 2 min 11:07, A. Alberts
Toronto charging - 2 min 11:07, D. Tucker
Toronto diving - 2 min 14:33, P. Kubina
Boston slashing - 2 min 14:33, B. Boyes

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cottonmouth said:
It is very tiresome to see the Leafs continuously get a lead early in the gane only to lose by many un-answered goals in the 3rd period.

I hae noticed that thet make a lot of low percentage passes to each other that easily get picked off by the opposing team. It usually gives them an odd man rush too.

They had a good start to the season. What the heck happened>:dunno:
Welcome to the forum Cottonmouth, and I totally agree.

When they pass or handle the puck, they always try to make it look easy. It's ridiculous because everyone knows that it's not, and it makes the team look very lazy when they play the way they're playing now, compared to the gritty and energetic style that they had to start off the year.

I think some players need to drop the act and start playing some real Hockey.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blowing up in Leafs' faces

Yet another third-period meltdown
By LANCE HORNBY -- Toronto Sun

BOSTON -- Jean-Sebastien Aubin termed last night's fatal third-period bounce "a grenade," an apt description for a team that keeps blowing leads and its own sanity.

For the third consecutive time in a six-game losing streak, the Maple Leafs fumbled a third-period lead, continuing to lose precious points to division opponents. With the 3-1 defeat to the Bruins, they have dropped nine of their past 11 and been out-scored 17-1 in the past five third periods.

Just as ominous, they were knocked out of eighth place on the playoff board, a fall they were unable to break when it happened in Game 57 last season.

Coach Paul Maurice needed a few extra minutes to compose himself after this latest meltdown. But when he came out of his TD Banknorth Garden office and faced the press, he chastised everyone in the dressing room, save for his three captains and Darcy Tucker.
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - Toronto - Blowing up in Leafs' faces

This team needs to start taking some responsibility, and stop letting the media dump on the goaltenders.

It's reminding me of the Quinn era... there's so much that is really.

They have to get back to playing the way there were playing, and they will get their wins.

They won't beat you with just offence, they won't beat you with an overpowering defence (no DUH!), and as good as Raycroft has played, he probably doesn't have the team in front of him to get into a goaltending duel.

What I'm saying is they won games with hard work, something the team wasn't known for for quite a while... maybe since the 2002 playoffs. They have to play with grit, and they have to play with heart. Every team does, but Toronto has to more. That's how they won, and that's likely the only way they will win IMO.

Outworking the opponent. not for some of the game, not for half of the game, and as we've seen lately, not even for most of the game. They have to do it for all al the game.

Every game matters, and they have to play like so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
^^^ Sometimes I get that feeling as I watch them play(lose). They just don't look like they are trying, or even giving it their best effort. I have seen them play better. I can understand them having a bad night, but to have a loss record like they do right now is just crazy. When will they wake up and smell the twine burning behind Raycroft?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cottonmouth said:
^^^ Sometimes I get that feeling as I watch them play(lose). They just don't look like they are trying, or even giving it their best effort. I have seen them play better. I can understand them having a bad night, but to have a loss record like they do right now is just crazy. When will they wake up and smell the twine burning behind Raycroft?
Like I said in another thread, maybe they are tired. No coach has put them to work as hard as Maurice, and they could now be hitting a wall. I hope that is all it is. But then again, it could be the league catching up to them and this is what we should expect to see the rest of the year. Who knows :dunno:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
TMLBLUE said:
Like I said in another thread, maybe they are tired. No coach has put them to work as hard as Maurice, and they could now be hitting a wall. I hope that is all it is. But then again, it could be the league catching up to them and this is what we should expect to see the rest of the year. Who knows :dunno:

Good call and welcome to the forums TMLBLUE.

I never thought of the Maurice angle but it makes a lot of sense. Maybe their conditioning is poor because they've looked gassed in the middle of each of the last ten or so peroids.

·
Registered
25 Posts
shookem said:
Good call and welcome to the forums TMLBLUE.

I never thought of the Maurice angle but it makes a lot of sense. Maybe their conditioning is poor because they've looked gassed in the middle of each of the last ten or so peroids.
Yeah it makes sense. Quinn NEVER pushed them this hard. They may be gassed, which would very well explain the loss of so many leads. Then again, the players should be in good shape already, we are more then done a quarter of the season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts