Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows who was the last European Captain to win the cup was (if there is one) and what team they played for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you think that is?

Okay,then another question for all members....do you think that its coincedence that no european captain has ever won a cup or that perhaps that there is a reason for it?
I feel that come playoffs guys like alfredsson and sundin pack it in early while you have guys like jarome iginla or joe sakic and mike modano etc. work their tails off game in and game out showing how much they want it while leading the team as well.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
You want my answer? Stereotypes are not acceptable. A captain doesn't win the Cup himself. It's the team, and a team cannot really on its captain for motivation, it has to be able to motivate itself to a certain degree. Leadership is found in all different nationalities, not solely in Canadian or American people, so why should this be true of hockey players.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds reasonable. As stereotypical as my post sounds from watching teams in the playoffs each year it just pops out at me that north american captains tend to come to play. Compare 2 years ago when Gary Roberts out played Sundin in every aspect and was the true leader of that team. Yes teams should motivate themselves to a certain degree but thats also part of a captains resume. When a team is down the captain should pick up his game to show others how much he wants it thus motivating them to do the same. Verbal motivation can only go so far a captain has to lead by example, and i dont see that in european captains in the playoffs. During the regular season thats a different story but when it really comes down to it they dont come when it's really needed. If I have offended anyone sorry I was just typing what I've seen and looking for other opinions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That would mean Montreal would win the cup!? Yeah right, in your best dreams! :laugh:

that's really funny, you have a great sense of humor! :cheeky4:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha

As great a player as Koivu is I hate to break it to you but Montreal will lose first round. As good as Huet has played Carolina has way to much depth to be denied a second round birth. Granted Montreal is a good team but Carolina is far better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts