Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Las Vegas back in play? Colin Campbell said on the Fan 590 that there were "other options" besides Winnipeg. They asked him about St.Louis and he seemed to show no interest in that.
It would be interesting if I'm the only one in Ontario and maybe Canada that suspects Las Vegas as a new site for the NHL. Gary Bettman likes to keep things close to his vest but its obvious he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would appear that Winnipeg was the only site "ready" to operate immediately and Bettman had run out of time. I still think that Vegas is a possibility down the road. The NHL has too many losing franchises and something has to go. Will keep my eye open on the next moves.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The NHL are still "a laughing stock" as the coyotes have no owner and nobody in sight to be one. They are stuck with the team nobody wants. Maybe Hamilton wasn't such a bad choice after all!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The NHL is not in a lockout like the NBA and the NFL. They are in a pretty good position to gain fans no matter what any teams ownership is. As long as the team does not move, the league will not be the laughing stock. The City of Glendale looks bad, not the NHL. The Coyotes will stay in Phoenix.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can you say that when there is no buyer in sight. The NHL insisted on the team staying there and were forced into ownership.Next year will be no better, with no owner the NHL will be forced to either running the team itself (and lose money) or move the team.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can tell you have not been following this closly so I will fill you in. Phoenix actually had 3 sueters. Jerry Reinsdorf (on then off again), Matt Hulsizer, and an unknown. Hulsizer pulled out. That leaves two, not none like you said. I dont know how it will be done or when but the NHL will find an owner for the Coyotes to avoid this blackeye. Sorry to tell you but the Coyotes will stay where they are.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry to disappoint you but nobody in their right mind would get involved with that City council and the low attendance arena. The potential owners wanted to buy the team with somebody else's money and that didn't fly. I still think the team will move next season, possibly to Quebec.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re:

Well I think you have to be close to crazy to think a team will move after the City of Glendale and the NHL have jumped through so many hoops to keep the team where it is, even with no owner. You are probably a wishful thinker and the world needs more of wishful thinkers like you. However the reality is the team will stay in Phoenix.

In case you think I am talking out of my ass about more than none are bidding for the coyotes. Here is the latest news article that was easily found using Google.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/07/01/20110701glendale-mayor-phoenix-coyotes-council-involved-talks.html

Im sorry that the NHL wants to make hockey work and make money in the 5th largest city in the United States. With a metropolitan population reaching over 4,000,000. What sport do you think they will watch when there is no basketball or football?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awe, you are a good fan to be so faithful. The reality is that nobody can fix the problem there. There are just too many fingers in the pie. Do you honestly think a millionaire would touch this team with all its losses? I wouldn't. The team itself is a good team but the location sucks. They will move!

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is more of that wishful thinking. I could bring up all the factors involved; taxes, lease agreement, economy, revenue sharing, ect. However, I have the feeling you will still maintain that wishful thinking. I have some wishful thinking of my own. They should move that awful team with the blue leaf on there jerseys from Toronto to Las Vegas, Portland, or Houston. Maybe in a new city they can manage to make the playoffs.:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the coyotes could make the revenue of the Maple Leafs they wouldn't have to move. As I said they are a good team but do not have fan support and will be forced eventually to leave. I am sorry for the few fans left there but if there were more the team could possibly stay. Maple Leaf fans are more than loyal and someday may see a championship.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess you dont understand or are refusing to look at what has happened in the past two years. They are not moving, they would have moved by now if they were. I know the Leafs are not moving just like you know the Coyotes are not moving. Just wishful thinking and entertaining the idea.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may be right in the long run but the Sports people here think a person would have to be nuts to invest in a losing proposition like the coyotes. The team has been playing very well but still the fans ,if there are any, don't show up for games. Why do you think they lost money every year.Lets hope that a miracle happens, but I don't think so.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any sports team is not a viable investment. It is very high risk and to think you will always make money is ridicules. The Coyotes can make money with the support of the media and through being promoted. As for attendance, the Coyotes filled Jobing.com arena an average of 70% for home games last year with no ownership. I think once ownership is solved and a new lease agreement is done then the Coyotes can make a turn around. Especially once the U.S economy recovers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so, but here's an idea: Why don't the fans all go out and convince some of their friends to go to a game. Say you buy their tickets and invite them. Filling the arena is the only way for the team to be successful. 70% doesn't cut it. The Toronto Maple Leafs have filled their arena every game for 50 years. One way they do it is by making season ticket holders use or get a friend to use their tickets for every game. If they don't they can lose their rights to their tickets the next season.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that is a great idea. I would love to buy my friends tickets. One of my life goals is to be a lifetime season ticket holder for the Coyotes. The sport is still young in Arizona, a non-traditional market. We can already see results from the Coyotes presence with the draft of Zac Larazza. There is a passionate fan base that is growing and when there is a new owner, you will see fan growth. People will want to invest there time, money, and emotion into the team. I dont know if you can remember when the team played at America West Arena and before they lockout and the move to Glendale but they had a great fan base. I know people will want to come back to hockey once this is all over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts