Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
10/10/2006 5:18:36 PM

The Toronto Maple Leafs could be without the services of defenceman Pavel Kubina for a prolonged period of time.

The team revealed Tuesday that the veteran blueliner suffered a strained medial collateral ligament after a knee-on-knee collision with Todd Bertuzzi in Monday's 2-1 shootout win against the Florida Panthers.

Kubina didn't return to the game and had great difficulty making it to the dressing room.

COMPLETE ARTICLE

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
That was painful to watch. :(

Hope he recovers soon. This could also be a huge blow to the Leafs, he was playing well.

I don't want McCabe logging too much ice-time again. He can't handle it, he makes to many mistakes.

I especially don't like how Wade Belak will be back on the blueline. It's never a good thing.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
That was painful to watch. :(

Hope he recovers soon. This could also be a huge blow to the Leafs, he was playing well.

I don't want McCabe logging too much ice-time again. He can't handle it, he makes to many mistakes.

I especially don't like how Wade Belak will be back on the blueline. It's never a good thing.
That's something I've noticed about McCabe as well, it looks like he gets a little slow and frustrated at times.

So we won't know about Kubina for a couple of weeks but early on everyone's saying at least four.

It disturbs me that Paul says this:

"I'm comfortable with Belak on the blue-line,'' said head coach Paul Maurice, who doesn't want to rush Bell back unless team doctors say it's OK.

"First, Brendan is still injured until someone tells me different," added Maurice. "No player is coming back earlier than he is ready because we have players with the (AHL) Marlies."
Belak can't be on the blueline for long and there really isn't anyone down the road to call up. Then again, what is a coach supposed to say, "Gee, he sucks, but we're damned if we do and damned if we don't", so I guess he's just doing what he's gotta do. Still, he seemed like a straight up guy.

Bell in Calgary? I guess if that's what we're looking forward too but the Leafs will be playing of couple a great defensive teams in the coming days and if it turns into a grind'em battle, who knows if they'll have enough in the tank.

Let's just hope that any extended playing time doesn't lead to another injury.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
shookem said:
That's something I've noticed about McCabe as well, it looks like he gets a little slow and frustrated at times.

So we won't know about Kubina for a couple of weeks but early on everyone's saying at least four.
Seems so. The article's been updated a bit:

Leafs' Kubina dejected but relieved

Canadian Press

10/11/2006 3:55:44 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Pavel Kubina is disappointed that he's been sidelined with a knee injury but he also knows it could have been worse.

"The good news is there is no surgery," the Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman said Wednesday, a day after getting the diagnosis. "I'll work hard to come back as soon as possible."

He'll be out at least four weeks, but it really depends on how the 29-year-old Czech native responds to treatment on his strained medial collateral ligament. He's never had an injury on the left knee.

Signed July 1 to a US$20-million, four-year deal as one of Toronto's key off-season additions, this is the last thing Kubina wanted early in the season as he tried to prove to fans and the media he's worth the big money.
(Panoo has the link on the topic header)

It's such a shame. I don't know if he was a $5M d-man, but he hasn't done anything wrong in terms of his play on the ice (aside from that crosscheck that took him out for Toronto's Season opener). He was a player I really wanted Toronto to get, and now that he's there he'll be out for a while. So far, he's been solid on the blueline for the Leafs.

Colaiacovo, Kronwall, Bell, and Wozniewski makes the situation that much worse.

It disturbs me that Paul says this:

"I'm comfortable with Belak on the blue-line,'' said head coach Paul Maurice, who doesn't want to rush Bell back unless team doctors say it's OK.

"First, Brendan is still injured until someone tells me different," added Maurice. "No player is coming back earlier than he is ready because we have players with the (AHL) Marlies."
That's pretty creepy. As good as PM's been for the Leafs, his optimism has to be questioned here.

Comfortable with Belak on the blueline?

From the games that I've seen him there, it's never looked good.

Not even decent really. :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts