Hockey Fan Forums banner

Kovalev: Tradeable? (Yay or Nay?)

2325 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  shortcat1
It's no secret that the Habs are struggling big time. It's also no secret that forward Alex Kovalev is an unrestricted free agent after this season is over. What I'm getting at is, the Canadiens are in a bad situation and need to make a move. Would you trade Kovalev in a package deal for an impacting player? And do you think that Gainey is even willing to part ways with him?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Considering that we got Josh Gorges and a first round pick (Max Pacioretty) for Craig freakin' Rivet, I think that Kovalev, as much as I dislike him, is very much tradeable... and we should trade him.
Considering that we got Josh Gorges and a first round pick (Max Pacioretty) for Craig freakin' Rivet, I think that Kovalev, as much as I dislike him, is very much tradeable... and we should trade him.
A real slap in the face for Kovalev would see him traded to the Avs for Darcy Tucker ;)
A real slap in the face for Kovalev would see him traded to the Avs for Darcy Tucker ;)
With the loss of Lang for the rest of the season, Montreal needs help at center and on defense. I don't think that Tucker would be the solution. Having said that, I wouldn't say no to Chris Neil.
I'm also wondering if there are any GM's out there who still think Kovalev still has it in him. Especially with how he's played this season, it's hard to say what we'd get in return.
I'm also wondering if there are any GM's out there who still think Kovalev still has it in him. Especially with how he's played this season, it's hard to say what we'd get in return.
Teams like Pittsburgh, desperate to make the playoffs after reaching the Cup finals last year, would love to have Kovalev help them on the wing.

With the Schneider trade, don't be surprised to see Gainey unload Kovy for relatively cheap to reload, then fire for a top notch centerman.

My two cents.
There's something going on in Montreal and don't be surprised to see the Habs simply reloading before firing with a bang.

Don't waste your time with proposals for NHL players in return, Kovalev will likely be traded for picks and/or prospects. Gainey will likely take the best offer as he wants to free up some cap space for his next move while loading up on picks/prospects to compensate for his next trade.

Potential destinations in my humble opinion?

WEST:
  • Calgary (reunited with Iron Mike with whom he won the Cup in New York)
  • Dallas (with the loss of Richards for 6-8 weeks)
  • Edmonton (although they better not consult Souray about it)
  • Columbus (need offense, although would prefer a centerman)
  • Minnesota (need offense, especially if they trade Gaborik)
  • Nashville (aren't afraid to pull the trigger, need offense to make the playoffs)

EAST:
  • New Jersey
  • Florida
  • Carolina
  • Pittsburgh

At pretty much even return, the Habs will likely prefer to trade him in the Western Conference so Eastern teams would likely have to pay more to get him.
See less See more
Potential destinations in my humble opinion?

WEST:
  • Calgary (reunited with Iron Mike with whom he won the Cup in New York)
  • Dallas (with the loss of Richards for 6-8 weeks)
  • Edmonton (although they better not consult Souray about it)
  • Columbus (need offense, although would prefer a centerman)
  • Minnesota (need offense, especially if they trade Gaborik)
  • Nashville (aren't afraid to pull the trigger, need offense to make the playoffs)

EAST:
  • New Jersey
  • Florida
  • Carolina
  • Pittsburgh

At pretty much even return, the Habs will likely prefer to trade him in the Western Conference so Eastern teams would likely have to pay more to get him.
That's pretty much like the picture I had in mind except for Edmonton and New Jersey.
Two rumours out of Montreal today.

One was with Columbus where Mike Peca and Alexandre Picard would come Montreal's way.

The other one is that Dallas is very interested but no players were mentioned.

Both rumours were on CKAC, a Montreal French radio station. The Dallas rumour was from Yvon Pedneault.
Dallas? Maybe Richards? We've always seemed to have been interested in him. I wouldn't mind having a former Conn Smyth winner. I'm not too fond of the Columbus rumour however.
Its trade day and i'm hoping Gainey can get something for the big stiff Kovalev and if i were Gainey i could also be talked into a trade for the other flop Carey Price.
Day after trade and Gainey seems to have confidence in the players he has as he made no trades,wonder if he watched that game against Buffalo last night as thats what his near future is going to look like.
Am i the only Habs fan who thinks Kovelev and Price are dragging this team down?
I agree with you. Too bad the Canadiens suck so much this year.... Wondering about switching team... I'll give them another year to improve.
Seeing that Edmonton got O'Sullivan for Cole, one has to wonder what we could have had for Kovalev, considering his career stats in the playoffs... we missed the boat on that one.
I agree with you. Too bad the Canadiens suck so much this year.... Wondering about switching team... I'll give them another year to improve.
Wow... that's big of you...
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.