Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about this while watching the game and wasn't really all that worried, then I saw this...

Devils coach John MacLean did very little to clear up the mystery surrounding the Ilya Kovalchuk’s absence from his team’s lineup in tonight’s 6-1 loss to the Buiffalo Sabres at Prudential Center.

MacLean would not reveal the specifics behind the decision to sit Kovalchuk, but said it was his decision and no one else’s.

“That’s between him and I,” MacLean said. “That was my decision.”

When asked if it was his decision or management’s decision, MacLean, said “No, it was my decision.”

MacLean said he did not regret that decision, which he made “probably mid-day.”

“I take responsibility for all my decisions that I make. That’s including that decision and including responsibility for games.”

MacLean said he would decide “in the morning” if Kovalchuk will play Sunday night against the Rangers.

When I asked if Kovalchuk was healthy enough to play tonight, MacLean replied, “I’m not getting into it one way or the other. I told you it was a coach’s decision.”

MacLean would not say if the decision was hockey related.

“I’m not discussing it,” MacLean said. “It was my decision. I made it. He knows. I spoke to him and that’s where it’s going to stay."

Kovalchuk was said not to be available when media requested to talk to him after the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Langenbrunner said the players who did play could not blame their performance tonight on Kovalchuk’s mysterious absence.

“There’s no excuses like that,” Langenbrunner said. “We have a lot of guys out of the lineup right now and that’s never an excuse here and never will be. The guys on the ice are out there to do a job and we didn’t do it. We made mistakes and didn’t generate enough and play the way we needed to play.”
Something's up with the Devils, and I'm not sure I like it. Coming off a 3-0 win in Montreal, they decide to scratch the guy they spent so much time, effort, and money to sign? Seems odd to me.

And Jamie, you need to take a look in the mirror. You've been playing like dog**** since coming back from the Olympics last year. Take some ******* Mydol or something and be the leader you were for the US in the Olympics.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I was pretty shocked about this as well.
5 points in 7 games isn't terrible, especially to start out the season, but for $100 million dollars coupled in with all the controversy during the offseason, you would expect Kovalchuk to be playing like Hossa is now.

Then again it may not really be a performance issue. Kovalchuk has a reputation of being a difficult guy to get along with.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I posted another thread in the main board. With KOvy being the #1 story of the summer this could be big.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
But why was he out in the last game is the question...
They probably brung up some who was kicking ass in the minors like Sestito or Zharkov, Vasyunov, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But why was he out in the last game is the question...
It sounds like he was late to a mandatory team meeting, and the Devils sat him to send a message. Lou backed MacLean on it, and brought up Vasyunov for the game. Not that big of a deal really.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
It sounds like he was late to a mandatory team meeting, and the Devils sat him to send a message. Lou backed MacLean on it, and brought up Vasyunov for the game. Not that big of a deal really.

That's what i'm trying to say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts