Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/So-sad-First-Jon-and-Kate-now-Koules-and-Barri;_ylt=AqS_b0z1.K3A4Nalpdu8rjl7vLYF?urn=nhl,172137

Koules and Barrie have long denied any hint of boardroom brawling. They have talked and acted as if they are moving in unison, and dismiss anyone who suggests otherwise as a misguided critic. Yet numerous people inside the organization and around the Tampa Bay business community have painted a much different portrait of the ownership group during recent interviews with Times beat writer Damian Cristodero.

They tell stories of various indiscretions, some minor and some serious, in the offices of the St. Pete Times Forum. They hint at money woes and personality clashes. They suggest this is a franchise in disarray, and one whose brand is being devalued in the eyes of fans and sponsors.

And so, as embarrassing as it might seem to have the commissioner of the league playing peacemaker between millionaires, the time is right. This is an opportunity to get turned back in a proper direction.

This should be the moment that Bettman hands control to Barrie.
Hopefully, the lighting situation doesn't get out of control. and I'm eager to see how this will affect moving Vinny Lecavalier.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
What a sad sad situation to be in. And today:
The ongoing saga surrounding the Tampa Bay Lightning took another turn on Thursday afternoon, as all NHL general managers and player agents received a short email message from general manager Brian Lawton establishing his role with the club going forward.
Full Story

This has "Sad Ending" written all over it. Who in their right mind would want to play there this season?

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
I'm one who thinks that owners shouldn't interfere with the hockey operations. Most owners hand control of the team over the the General Manager, Coaching Staff and the rest of the front office and have little to do beyond that. As a result, those teams are successful.

I'm not sure why Barrie/Koules are so different. It doesn't really affect players signing with Tampa, but it does affect the quality of people they attract to the front office.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts